MSC versus Costa

EDLOS

Hi,

I've sailed both, though my last cruise with Costa was in 2011 and the last with MSC was in february 2015. I didn't find any major différences between them and enjoy both.

Hope it helps.

I've just seen in the roll call section that you are on the Costa Magica tomorrow. I'm booked on the same cruise leaving july 29th. Would appreciate a quick review if possible.

I wish you a nice cruise.

I have only been on the Divina, from Miami. I was told there were a number of changes, especially food, for the US market. The general ship design is similar to the Pacifica class, but I found the lounges much poorer in design than Costa. The furniture was among the worst I have ever seen on a cruise ship, clearly chosen to look good in pictures, not for passenger comfort, and traffic flows were poor. The entertainment was generally a notch below Costa (and MSC had apparently booked at least one large group on every sailing, which sure didn't help). Everywhere I felt I could make a fair apples-to-apples comparison, Costa came out ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer MSC, but really no major differences. They are far more similar than different. People who like one, tend to like the other.

I'm not keen on the decor of some of the Costa ships, it is a bit garish (Favalosa and Serena for example) compared to MDC design and decor.

Having sailed MSC twice and HAL, Princess, Celebrity, RCCL ,Oceania, Regent, NCL, and Silverseas,, most multiple times, I found that the Magica was clean, well maintained and the staff friendly and atttentive. Decor is a subjective thing!. The Ship's shore excursions (3) out of (8) were reasonably priced and well run with the usual too long stop for shopping.

Ninety percent of this 11 day Western Med cruise were Italian, French and German who do not have the vaguest sense of common courtesey. I have traveled extensively in all three countries and have found the people helpful and friendly on land. But turn them loose on a Cruise Ship and "It's shoot the wounded, take no prisoners " They will reach over or under your arm as you try to serve yourself. Lines at buffet's are merely a suggestion to them. One said to me "I don't have to wait in line if I only want one or two items".

FOOD:

Without question, the food particularly in the Buffet was similar to a school cafeteria in quality and variety. Tables were on top of one another and in short supply. You first had to find and lock down a table before getting in slow moving lines. One person would defend the table while the other got their food. Sounds harsh, but I would take MSC anytime over Costa.

Breakfast in the main dining room was really not sit down, they would bring you juice, coffee and reluctantly take an order for an omelette, but cereal, rolls,fruit, butter etc.etc. were buffet. hours were limited and subject to change i.e. one morning, breakfast ended at 8:45 instead of 9:30 leaving upset people at the dining room door.

Dinner was a hit or miss situation sometimes quite good and other times send it back i.e. not a breast of chicken, but a leg with bones literally grey black from being frozen so long. Virtually all cuts of meat were of the cheaper part of the animal. The better cuts (usually 4 choices) were added costs on the menu each night.

You do NOT go on COSTA for the food, you would go on COSTA for the price, itinerary, and the opportunity for hand to hand combat in the Buffet line or any other activity you might stand in line for !!!!

Hi Edlos,

Thank you for your feed back. It's quite a mixed review but as we go for the itinerary, I think it will be ok. Plus we're ready to fight for food ;).

Having sailed MSC twice and HAL, Princess, Celebrity, RCCL ,Oceania, Regent, NCL, and Silverseas,, most multiple times, I found that the Magica was clean, well maintained and the staff friendly and atttentive. Decor is a subjective thing!. The Ship's shore excursions (3) out of (8) were reasonably priced and well run with the usual too long stop for shopping.

Ninety percent of this 11 day Western Med cruise were Italian, French and German who do not have the vaguest sense of common courtesey. I have traveled extensively in all three countries and have found the people helpful and friendly on land. But turn them loose on a Cruise Ship and "It's shoot the wounded, take no prisoners " They will reach over or under your arm as you try to serve yourself. Lines at buffet's are merely a suggestion to them. One said to me "I don't have to wait in line if I only want one or two items".

FOOD:

Without question, the food particularly in the Buffet was similar to a school cafeteria in quality and variety. Tables were on top of one another and in short supply. You first had to find and lock down a table before getting in slow moving lines. One person would defend the table while the other got their food. Sounds harsh, but I would take MSC anytime over Costa.

Breakfast in the main dining room was really not sit down, they would bring you juice, coffee and reluctantly take an order for an omelette, but cereal, rolls,fruit, butter etc.etc. were buffet. hours were limited and subject to change i.e. one morning, breakfast ended at 8:45 instead of 9:30 leaving upset people at the dining room door.

Dinner was a hit or miss situation sometimes quite good and other times send it back i.e. not a breast of chicken, but a leg with bones literally grey black from being frozen so long. Virtually all cuts of meat were of the cheaper part of the animal. The better cuts (usually 4 choices) were added costs on the menu each night.

You do NOT go on COSTA for the food, you would go on COSTA for the price, itinerary, and the opportunity for hand to hand combat in the Buffet line or any other activity you might stand in line for !!!!

Got back a week ago from 12 nights on Fortuna. Mixture of nationalities onboard of Italians, French, German, Spanish and few English, American and Australian.

Didn't have any problems with queue jumping at the buffet either breakfast or Lunch and good selection of food, especially pasta. Breakfast in the dining room wasn't a great experience, not relaxed and a bit manic. Dinner at night was enjoyable with a good selection, if you like Italian food, picky English eaters avoid. No Buffet which didn't bother us but is penny pinching. Speciality restaurant was very good.

Entertainment was hit or miss but we enjoyed watching the passengers dancing in the main lounge, some do take themselves very seriously !!

AI drinks package very good value and wines by the glass were reasonable quality and canned soft drinks, not out of a gun.

In summary for the price we paid (£500 each for a balcony) plus flights for a 12 night cruise was a steal.

Just remembered, when I was on MSC Divina- the shower has solid plexiglass walls, you have to be able fit through a 20" opening.

Bob as our resident dancer, could you limbo dance into the shower?:)