On No!

G.M.T.

Not a fan of mega ships either. Maybe they'll reduce he fares on older and smaller ships when the new behemoths start sailing

Well if the new NCL ships & P&O's Britannia are anything to go by then this is not a popular move for me. There are only so many ports these brutes can go into and who wants to sail with 4000 other passengers? IMHO the current Costa fleet has it just about right. The Diadema is just about on the limit of what I think is a good size with 1862 cabins for 3724 passengers (max capacity is 4947 guests :eek::eek:)

Also from the photos I have seen of the bigger new builds the balcony's are standing room only. Whats that all about? :rolleyes:

We've done five weeks on three different Costa ships in the past and while loyal to this line, have no interest in sailing on mega sized ships or anything over about 10 decks in height.

We prefer inside cabins on a lower deck and see no benefit in having a balcony view, nor room service. Isn't a cabin just for sleeping in?

Now, to the accountants and shareholders of CCL, these cookie cutter mega ships they are ordering must make financial sense - like so many jumbo jets with just a different paint scheme on the tail or SUV's from GMC, Buick, Cadillac and Chevrolet all built on the same frame.

Ships that look like floating apartment buildings have no character and a wall of 14 or 15 decks can be a horrible amount of air resistance and turbulence. It seems the mega ships have the most difficulty with and often cancel ports like Cayman Island and Turks and Caicos where there isn't any shelter from windy conditions.

I wish the cruise ship architects would double the width and halve the height of their new builds and stop obsessing over the number of balcony suites. After all, with flat screen LCD TV technology now it must be much less costly to provide a window view on the TV rather than build so many otherwise useless balconies.