Is Villefranche worth looking around?

suttoncruisers

Villefranche is a lovely place to visit. We spent several nights there a few years ago. Neat old town and very close to Nice by train, rental car or maybe taxi. Nice little restaurants but I no longer remember any of them. As previously mentioned there is a close by beach. Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Really enjoyed your pictures! We are going to be in Villafranche in a couple of weeks. Taking a small group tour to Eze, St Paul Vence & Nice. The guide says that there are about 200 steps to get to Eze. Since you've been there can you tell me something about the trip up? Like to walk, but have had some back issues lately. Are the steps very steep, handrails etc.?

Thanks so much, Denise

Starting from the bus parking lot I do not remember the steps being so bad. However, I do not remember them being that steep. By that I mean that you walk a little, there is a step and then you walk a little before the next step. Here are pictures from Eze.

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/668

This year we went to St. Paul. There are also steps there. Both places are cobblestone and if mobility is an issue are difficult to navigate.

https://southerneurope.shutterfly.com/pictures/295

I was just coming to post a similar question. I'd have free time before my Nice and St. Paul-de-Vence tour, so I was wondering whether there are things to do within walking distance of the port. It sounds like you can just get off the ship and see the town to know which direction to head without really planning it out?

Also, I hope this isn't derailing the OP's question, but since others mentioned St. Paul-de-Vence, I'll have free time to explore there, too. The tour description mentions art galleries and shops. Are any specific galleries/shops not to be missed? Or is there something else we should specifically do there?

I'm not a big shopper so someone else would be better answering if there was a shop not to miss. The only thing I bought there was lunch. I had a panini and the shopkeeper took basil right off the plant when making the sandwich. Otherwise I just wandered around enjoying the town.

Starting from the bus parking lot I do not remember the steps being so bad. However, I do not remember them being that steep. By that I mean that you walk a little, there is a step and then you walk a little before the next step. Here are pictures from Eze.

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/668

This year we went to St. Paul. There are also steps there. Both places are cobblestone and if mobility is an issue are difficult to navigate.

https://southerneurope.shutterfly.com/pictures/295

Thanks so much for sharing your pictures, I feel a little better. I was thinking of a staircase with 200 steps but by seeing the pictures I know what you mean.

Thanks so much for sharing your pictures, I feel a little better. I was thinking of a staircase with 200 steps but by seeing the pictures I know what you mean.

We did take the ship tour from Monaco. It was a bit of a hike from the bus parking lot.