Embarkation check-in and leave to explore?

QTPieRye

I was pretty sure I'd read in a review or thread that you are allowed to drop luggage, check-in, go to cabin to change clothes and then head out and explore Puerto Rico. A CCL told one of the people in our group today that you could NOT do that, but rather you could check-in and not board and leave. AND that once you boarded you had to stay on the ship?

Sad that I trust CC members more than CCL with information.... but as we know, depending on who, what and when, you get a dozen answers to the same question.

Any definitive information is appreciated. Thanks.

I've done that the past two years. You check in, take your carry-on things to your cabin, have lunch if you want, then head back out. I think we were told to be back by 8:30. Since I wanted to eat on the ship, I've always been back in plenty of time.

But, basically, you have an entire "port day" when you sail from San Juan. Make the most of it! It's a gorgeous old city.

I know people that do that in every port city. Arrive and board as early as possible, drop carry-on bags, go explore. Lots of people do that in Charleston. Of course, you have to be back on board much earlier, but it definitely IS allowed!

I was pretty sure I'd read in a review or thread that you are allowed to drop luggage, check-in, go to cabin to change clothes and then head out and explore Puerto Rico. A CCL told one of the people in our group today that you could NOT do that, but rather you could check-in and not board and leave. AND that once you boarded you had to stay on the ship?

Sad that I trust CC members more than CCL with information....

Sad indeed. I would definitely double and triple check that. As long as you take your sail card and photo ID you are always able to re-board.

I had this same question and called Royal Caribbean couple of weeks ago to check- I was told you CANNOT leave the boat once you board.

Therefore, I am flying in night before, exploring San Juan a bit in morning/afternoon then boarding late afternoon.

I did this on Valor out of PR last year on Mother's Day. Enjoyed a beautiful walk around Old San Juan and was back in time for dinner. Planning to do it again next week on Liberty.

Since RCI and X use the Pan-Am pier, maybe they have a different policy, but Carnival docks at Pier 4, right there in OSJ.

OP, you might want to ask someone on a Roll Call who is sailing soon and see if they can provide feedback once they return.

If they've changed this policy, I want to know!

Celebrity also leaves from the Pan-Am pier which is a $25 cab ride (or was when we were there) away from OSJ.

We arrived the night before and we left our luggage with the hotel the next morning while we looked around and then we headed for the ship in the late afternoon. I don't know if they wouldn't have allowed us to leave once we embarked, but there's nothing around the Pan-Am pier anyway.

If your ship is leaving from that pier you might want to leave your luggage at Barrachina in OSJ and look around and then pick it up later in the day and head for the ship.