Tracy Arm Explorer Excursion/ Tendering Question

Hello,

First off I hope I'm posting this in the right place as this is both my first post and our first cruise :)

We are trying to decide between the Pearl and Jewel for August in Alaska. The Jewel offers an excursion that gets you close to Sawyer Glacier via catamaran out of Juneau and then meets back up to the ship and tenders to the ship away from the dock for your return. Being that we've never cruised before the tendering thought scares us. Does anyone have pictures of what this looks like up close? We are trying to figure out if this is something we can physically handle. Is there a ramp? Stairs? What is this like?

Thank you!

On the Jewel you will board the catamaran in Juneau and leave ahead of the ship. The small boat will transit the fjord and get close to both glaciers before the ship catches up with it. Up by the glacier, in calm protected waters (think big lake) the catamaran will pull up beside the ship to a platform used for tendering - there will be a ramp up and into the ship. It is hard to describe - someone will post photos. It is really not that big of a deal. It is no more difficult than stepping from a dock onto the small boat.

As for the Pearl, it opts for Glacier Bay for its scenic glacier cruising so it does not actually visit Tracy Arm. To do it will require all of your port time in Juneau. The small boat starts and finishes in Juneau - no boat to ship transfer.

On the Jewel you will board the catamaran in Juneau and leave ahead of the ship. The small boat will transit the fjord and get close to both glaciers before the ship catches up with it. Up by the glacier, in calm protected waters (think big lake) the catamaran will pull up beside the ship to a platform used for tendering - there will be a ramp up and into the ship. It is hard to describe - someone will post photos. It is really not that big of a deal. It is no more difficult than stepping from a dock onto the small boat.

As for the Pearl, it opts for Glacier Bay for its scenic glacier cruising so it does not actually visit Tracy Arm. To do it will require all of your port time in Juneau. The small boat starts and finishes in Juneau - no boat to ship transfer.

There are numerous trips that only make it to one glacier. It also may not be a "ramp", I've been on this tour, where stairs were involved. A lot of assistance is given, in the way of a hand, BUT, you must be independently ambulatory. If compromised, you need to have an assistant with you, frankly.

I am not long back from Alaska - with Celebrity not NCL but I would imagine both cruiselines use the same Catamaran.

The smaller boat with steps I am pretty sure is a private excursion boat and not used by the cruiselines.

The larger catamaran - holds over 100 people - is fantastic - and I commented on my review on the Celebrity forum (if you want a link let me know) that I felt this excursion was VERY user friendly for those who have less mobility and indeed wheelchairs.

The ramp is long, secure - not steep - and its very easy from ship to inside the catamaran.

We didn't get to go to Tracy Arm due to ice - but plan B of Endicott Fjord and Dawes Glacier was beautiful - and now we have an excuse to go back.

I wouldn't have missed the day on the Catamaran for the world - truly a highlight of our cruise.

Have a great time!

Edited by Blondie008

I am not long back from Alaska - with Celebrity not NCL but I would imagine both cruiselines use the same Catamaran.

The smaller boat with steps I am pretty sure is a private excursion boat and not used by the cruiselines.

The larger catamaran - holds over 100 people - is fantastic - and I commented on my review on the Celebrity forum (if you want a link let me know) that I felt this excursion was VERY user friendly for those who have less mobility and indeed wheelchairs.

The ramp is long, secure - not steep - and its very easy from ship to inside the catamaran.

We didn't get to go to Tracy Arm due to ice - but plan B of Endicott Fjord and Dawes Glacier was beautiful - and now we have an excuse to go back.

I wouldn't have missed the day on the Catamaran for the world - truly a highlight of our cruise.

Have a great time!

It depends on the cruise ship and the Allen Marine boat. Allen Marine has multiple boats they use. I have been on this excursion multiple times and since I traveled with a mobility limited person, there were a few times, where steps were involved.

I would suggest calling Allen Marine directly for the information, on what boat they are scheduling and what the access is.

I did a similar excursion on another cruise line where we boarded the catamaran in Tracy Arm and then while still in Tracy Arm, got back on the ship so another group could get on the catamaran and get close to the glacier. TBH, getting on and off the catamaran was a non-issue. I don't recall if we had steps or a ramp, but I do remember that it was easy to get off and on the ship. I can understand your concerns since you've never cruised before, but know that the crew is well-trained to help passengers get from ship to boat or boat to ship. There were crew members on both sides of the ramp/stairs to help passengers, and they weren't shy about it--they were right there with their hands out making sure each passenger made the transition easily. This excursion was one of the highlights of all three of my cruises to Alaska. :D