Booking through Groupon for pre-cruise hotel

cdn_tbird

I came across a Groupon offer for the JW Marriott in Brickell that is really attractive and isn't blacked out for the overnight stay that I need.

Wondering if anyone on CC has used Groupon to book a hotel room and what their experience was. Did you get a decent room or did you end up in a room overlooking the loading dock on the lowest floor?:eek:

Get the jetsetter app (a trip advisor company). Plenty of "flash sales"

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks but not sure I understand why I would want to install yet another app and hope for a "flash sale" on the hotel I'd like to book. All these hotel aggregator sites and apps offer so-called sales, yet not one of them have come close to the deal I'm currently considering. I don't expect Jetsetter will be any different, big on promises and meager on actual results.

I've never used Groupon so I'm just hoping to do a bit of research amongst CC members to get a feel if Groupon users are getting a typical "run of the house" room, or because of the deep discount are ending up getting one of the least desirable rooms in the hotel.

I've used Groupon for restaurants before, with no problem at all. You might have to ask for a manager to assist, if the desk clerk seems unfamiliar with the program, but it should be honored. If it's not, I believe Groupon will refund you.

Please come back and let us know how it works!

I've never used a Groupon for a hotel room but I have use them two times in the past. The first was when I bought a bed for my dog. Very quickly fell apart so was not a good deal at all ended up throwing it away after about a month. The second time I use Groupon was when I bought a massage. I called for an appointment and found out they had gone out of business. When I called Groupon they refused to refund my money but rather gave me a credit for a future purchase. Of course I realize this has nothing to do with a hotel room but this is my experience with Groupon.

The groupon states 22% savings. I would call the JW Marriott and see if they can match the price for your date.

I have used groupon, but not for hotels. I would consider using them for hotels. But I would also check other booking sites to see if I could get a better price.

I don't know how far away your sail date is, but there is always a chance that the price could come down and if you had refundable cancellation through the hotel, you could check the prices for possible savings as you get closer to your date.

I honestly don't know if they give people booked through groupon the crappy rooms or not. I did get a room in Hawaii the night before a cruise through Priceline Name your own price and the room was spectacular with a beautiful ocean view. Couldn't have been happier with the room and service.

Good Luck and Have fun!

The groupon states 22% savings. I would call the JW Marriott and see if they can match the price for your date.

I have used groupon, but not for hotels. I would consider using them for hotels. But I would also check other booking sites to see if I could get a better price.

I don't know how far away your sail date is, but there is always a chance that the price could come down and if you had refundable cancellation through the hotel, you could check the prices for possible savings as you get closer to your date.

I honestly don't know if they give people booked through groupon the crappy rooms or not. I did get a room in Hawaii the night before a cruise through Priceline Name your own price and the room was spectacular with a beautiful ocean view. Couldn't have been happier with the room and service.

Good Luck and Have fun!

The other Groupon or other third party site is that your purchase may not accrue frequent traveler points with that hotel program.

Alway best to book direct and ask for price match to demonstrable deal.

Which room you are assigned as far as location in the building, is dependent on vacancies and who is at the front desk. As with any discounts, you can't expect more than what is described at time of purchase. If you get more than expected, it's a nice surprise. For a one night stay at that hotel, I wouldn't worry. You'll get a standard room at a very nice property.

Thanks but not sure I understand why I would want to install yet another app and hope for a "flash sale" on the hotel I'd like to book. All these hotel aggregator sites and apps offer so-called sales, yet not one of them have come close to the deal I'm currently considering. I don't expect Jetsetter will be any different, big on promises and meager on actual results.

I've never used Groupon so I'm just hoping to do a bit of research amongst CC members to get a feel if Groupon users are getting a typical "run of the house" room, or because of the deep discount are ending up getting one of the least desirable rooms in the hotel.

No need for the app. Website as well and the flash sales cover up to several months of booking - often as good if not better than Groupon. Another app worth a look is hotelstonight - great if you're ever stuck somewhere due to weather.

Used Groupon for hotel rooms at a hotel that features an indoor water park. Room was similar to rooms that I paid full price for at an earlier time. We had no difficulty checking in or using the water park and other amenities. Good experience with other Groupon purchases.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Good Luck and Have fun!

Don't need the room til mid Nov. Right now, ignoring Groupon's "22% off marketing spin", the best I've seen on any site before taxes is $267 USD vs. $224 USD on Groupon. Not sure what the odds are of it ever dropping $43, but I have time to let it ride. :-)