Deck plans

TOMOGP

I always get confused with P & O deckplans.

Why do they always change each year, and what date do they change and of course WHY.

At a guess so that a cabin classed as xx this year can be changed next year to type yy and they can charge more for it.

Time was you used to just have fore/aft or midships, then they brought in the ones that are not midships, but equally they are better positioned than the ones right at the front/back. Sooo they can charge more for them. I used to pick one of this, and if I could right next to where midships started so I would have got the cruise cheaper than my next door neighbour (Theoretically!) but at a better price, as it was in not such a good position!!!

I get quite confused by all the different colours as well as what they are called.

When the "new", upcoming deck plan is published; applicable from a set date, assuming no major refit has taken place, it is by and large a reclassification of cabin grades. They do not change type, e.g. insides becoming balcony cabins, they just change grade e.g. HB to HC.

What is interesting though is how do people feel if they book a cabin at say HB grade and later find it has been classified as HC, perhaps not now but in a following cruise? Have you been done up like a kipper? Do people look at the post-classification new grades and target the ones that are going to become higher grades and think I did well to get hold of one of those? Are some "going up" more than a single grade, or down. It's a nightmare lol.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

When the "new", upcoming deck plan is published; applicable from a set date, assuming no major refit has taken place, it is by and large a reclassification of cabin grades. They do not change type, e.g. insides becoming balcony cabins, they just change grade e.g. HB to HC.

What is interesting though is how do people feel if they book a cabin at say HB grade and later find it has been classified as HC, perhaps not now but in a following cruise? Have you been done up like a kipper? Do people look at the post-classification new grades and target the ones that are going to become higher grades and think I did well to get hold of one of those? Are some "going up" more than a single grade, or down. It's a nightmare lol.

Regards John

Oh cripes John its bad enough people looking at prices changing after they have booked, let along looking at future cabin classification as well!!!!!

Thanks for the comments But still no answer as to what date do they change?

The next deck plan will come out randomly at any time of year in my experience. I can remember when some ships had huge numbers of different grades then they went onto a forward/midships/aft format reducing the number of grades significantly. Years ago brochures published a price for each grade and they varied by as much as £20/£100 a grade on a £1000/£2000 fare. These days it's all a bit academic with fluid pricing and the fares going up and down and structures like early saver, saver, select etc. Sometimes the bottom grade is guarantee only too.

Regards John

Thank you but again really when.

For example we are on the Arcadia in Nov and are hoping she will be doing a Venice cruise again in 2017, if you look at the P & O web site the plans are up for 2015/16 and 2016/17 and so it must change over at sometime.

I wondered if it was the cruise issue programme date because that will be from April 2017 until April 2018