Ship's excursion to Rome by train

missalto

We have booked a ship's excursion from Civittavechia to Rome for our forthcoming cruise on Ventura in August. Been there several times on the coach 'Rome on Your own' but train looks good and journey takes less time.

Anyone been on this yet and if so what was your experience like? Hoping that the train may have better leg room than the coach. Which station does it go to - St Pietro or Termini?

Assuming you mean the "shuttle and Roma train" p & o excursion? We went on this last week and were really pleased with it. Although it is more expensive than just going on the train by yourself, it is a very comfortable ride.

The coach picks you up from by the ship and takes you to the train (seems to be parked at a siding rather than an actual station!). It is quite an old fashioned train but with comfortable leather ( or faux leather ) seats in groups of 4. Not a huge amount of legroom but if you sit in an aisle seat there's no problem . Train has a toilet ( for those that need it!). Journey time was about 50-55 minutes and takes you to St Pietro station, just behind St Peters square. There is a guide on the train who handed out maps and talked about various areas to visit, gave advice on hoho buses etc. On arrival, the guide walks you to St Peters square and shows the meeting point for the return journey. Was a much more civilised and comfortable way to get to and from Rome than the coach in my opinion.

Hope you enjoy your cruise - and Rome.

We were on Azura and Ventura last year and took the train from Citivechia station on our own. Really no need to do a ship tour unless the ship charters a special train and guarantees a seat.

We took the ship shuttle into town but to be honest the walk from the ship is probably about the same distance ..we walked back later in the day. For some strange reason where the shuttle drops off is no where near the station. Of course there are plenty of taxis waiting!

We caught an early train about 8.30,quite empty, a direct service .. check this as some stop at lots more stations. We were on the platform in St Pietro not long after 9 and way before the coaches had even left the port.

Our ticket, purchased at the station, included the metro during the day which was handy to cross the city and give the feet a rest. Do watch out for pick pockets though. Like most big cities they are prevalent on public transport. Our tip here is if a metro train pulls in crowded let it go. There will be one just behind much less crowded. Swing your rucksack round to sit on your front or have a tight grip on your handbag.

We covered nearly all of the city in a day and visited the basilica tower .. part lift and the rest stairs for some amazing views over St Peters square and the papal gardens.

We caught the train back at around 3pm tired after our days walking. That was much more busy than the early morning train but we still got seats.

If you do a little research before you go I doubt you will experience any problems. I am going to check back on my photos for the price. I bet it will be a fraction of the cost of the ship tour.

We had previously done the coach transfer but that doesn't really give you a full day.

If you chat with crew on board many will have done the train journey and can offer good advice.

Really no need to do a ship tour unless the ship charters a special train and guarantees a seat.

e.

It does!

I think you will find that the ship port shuttle doesn't drop you off in the same place as it used to - several people doing their own thing were very disappointed that they had much further to walk to the station than before. The excursion bus was door to door..

I also should have mentioned the timings - we were at St Pietro station by about 9.15, 10 mins walk to the square, and ready to explore by 9.30 am. We met up again at 15.45 at the square for the return journeyso we had a pretty long day in Rome. And no worry about missing the ship!

There is a lot of info here on Trip Advisor

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187791-c151384/Rome:Italy:To.And.From.Civitavecchia.Port.html

Our journey took under an hour but my husband has just corrected me and said we did stop at more stations because we didn't want to wait another hour for the faster train. He also reminded me that the reason the port shuttle went into town was because they were doing work on the big roundabout at the gates to the port and it wasn't safe to drop passengers off there. That work will all be finished this year when you go.

The train was comfortable, modern and clean and like I said quite empty early morning. We had plenty of space and leg room. Its 5 euros each way and 12 euros if you include the all day pass on buses and metro. I think if we did the journey again I would be tempted to go for the cheaper option and get taxis in the city.

One thing to bare in mind is that it will probably be very hot in August .. our family took the easier option at that time of year and just went a station or two to a local beach!

It does!

I think you will find that the ship port shuttle doesn't drop you off in the same place as it used to - several people doing their own thing were very disappointed that they had much further to walk to the station than before. The excursion bus was door to door..

I also should have mentioned the timings - we were at St Pietro station by about 9.15, 10 mins walk to the square, and ready to explore by 9.30 am. We met up again at 15.45 at the square for the return journeyso we had a pretty long day in Rome. And no worry about missing the ship!

That is the reason i would recommend anyone who is at all nervous to take the ships excursion. for me peace of mind beats adrenalin any day ;)

We also took the train independently. It was pretty easy but recommend going as early as possible. One thing I will say is the that platform at the station in Rome is a very long walk from the entrance or to the underground. The place is huge! Just take account of this in your plans. Allow at least 15 mins to walk there (once you've found where you need to go) on the way back. We wanted to be certain to get back early so we caught a train back around 3.30pm.

I am sure all the advice is very helpful and useful - but the OP did ask if anyone had been on the trip and what it was liked as he/ she has already booked it! No-one else has actually commented on that particular trip.

Having heard horror stories of people struggling to get back to the ship in time from Rome, with lightening train strikes and terrifying taxi journeys in Italy I am afraid I would always take the ships option when the place of interest is so far from the ship.

Just my opinion!

So missalto, I think you will find the train trip just right for you. Enjoy.

It's always worth knowing the options. Sometimes we book excursions only to find a public transport option much cheaper and often more convenient. In this case the excursion is just a train transfer and probably at least ten times ... If not more ... Expensive.

Getting as much local information as possible enables you to make an informed decision.

As a couple we have travelled to many places world wide. Coming to grips with a train time table and building in safe limits is not beyond our capabilities.

Everyone is different and I know for many the stress of travelling whilst away from home is outside of their comfort zone and for them being part of a group offers peace of mind.

The link above to toms ports has lots of information of use once you arrive in Rome ... However you get there.

Enjoy your day ... Rome is a fabulous city ... Throw a coin in the fountain ...

With trains there are no safe limits, the entire line could shut down for hours with you trapped on the train, it happens. In this case you will miss the ship. If you are on an excursion the ship will wait, or they will get you to the next port at no expense.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from our latest sailing on Azura.

We survived getting the public transport in Lazarote (bus) and the local train service from Lisbon to Sintra. Both just a couple of Euros compared with the hefty transfer prices charged by the ship.

However it isn't just about cost and more about the freedom to travel on your own time table spending as much time in places you want to visit. We aren't visiting third world countries just Europe.