Gala Night with tween boys

Moparop

To be fair, the OP did say they would be OK with "whatever" and was just asking what's the usual dress for Gala nights. We don't know that the grandfather is paying for this, just that he's the planner. Regardless of who's picking up the tab, if the "old dude" is asking the men to go above the minimum, then I think it's nice to honor his request. But let's not scold the OP for asking.

I did not intend to "scold" the OP - rather to express an opinion different from that of the many advocates of simply getting by with the bare minimum accepted by the ship and ignoring the "old dude's" request.

A "dress code" is not only what is required (or permitted - if you are a minimalist) by the establishment (the ship). - it is also what is rightfully specified by the host (the old dude footing the bill).

If your host has made such request you can, of course, argue that the ship has lower expectations -- but just perhaps broadening the young mens' experience in going beyond the bare minimum might be good for them as well as respectful to your host.

Really!!!!! Spring for blazers and ties - it won't hurt them.

YES, YES, Perfect. You expresssed the concept so well. It seems a shame to let such a great teaching opportunity p ass by, and not be used in a positive way. Gretr lessons to b e learned and done with subtlty y, th elesson will sink in and the young men won't forget it. They won't even know they were being given a first class life lesson b but they will own it for many, many years.

My 13 year old son plans to take his tux for formal nights. He owns one for his school choir, so not a big deal to him. Most of the time he wears dress shirts and slacks to regular dinner nights. Coming from Charleston, SC, coat and tie is normal church attire, so he may be packing his blazer as well. #momgetsthesmallsuitcase :D

OP here

Talked to my dad about the gala nights this past weekend. He's a very seasoned cruiser, 30-40 nights a year. When he dresses for a gala night, he wears a suit coat, tie, and dress shirt while wearing Columbia type hiking pants. After learning that, I'm figuring that my boys will more than me his level of expectation in an oxford cloth shirt, regular khakis, and a tie -- and if they want to wear casual shoes, it's fine by me.

Thanks to those of you who weighed in!