Easiest way to Ocean Grill Vallarta

PandJ60

My wife and I will be sailing on the Norwegian Sun 10/13. We will be in Puerto Vallarta 10/19 and we're hoping to visit the Ocean Grill. I understand we have to make our way to Boca de Tomatlan to catch the water taxi to the grill. I was just wondering what would be the best way from the ship down to Boca and then back to the ship?

First time cruisers so all help is appreciated.

My wife and I will be sailing on the Norwegian Sun 10/13. We will be in Puerto Vallarta 10/19 and we're hoping to visit the Ocean Grill. I understand we have to make our way to Boca de Tomatlan to catch the water taxi to the grill. I was just wondering what would be the best way from the ship down to Boca and then back to the ship?

First time cruisers so all help is appreciated.

You only a few options which come down to using a taxi, bus(s) or a combination of both. And if you planning to go to lunch at the Ocean Grill make sure you have reservations which often need to be made a few days in advance. If you want to use buses you will have to change in the southside (Old Town) to get the correct bus that goes south of the city.

Using a taxi will be a lot faster, but also more expensive.

We would just toss out another thought (from a confirmed PV lover). Your time in PV is limited to a port day and going to the Ocean Grill is going to use a good part of your day. While it is a popular restaurant in a remote area, there are many other fine restaurants in PV that do not involve such a complex (and lengthy) trip to get to the venue. If you are determined to have lunch at the Ocean Grill we would suggest going into Centro early in the day and spending time enjoying Centro and the southside before heading south to Boca de Tomatlan. You might also have some more time to enjoy town and your way back after lunch.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

You only a few options which come down to using a taxi, bus(s) or a combination of both. And if you planning to go to lunch at the Ocean Grill make sure you have reservations which often need to be made a few days in advance. If you want to use buses you will have to change in the southside (Old Town) to get the correct bus that goes south of the city.

We would just toss out another thought (from a confirmed PV lover). Your time in PV is limited to a port day and going to the Ocean Grill is going to use a good part of your day. While it is a popular restaurant in a remote area, there are many other fine restaurants in PV that do not involve such a complex (and lengthy) trip to get to the venue. If you are determined to have lunch at the Ocean Grill we would suggest going into Centro early in the day and spending time enjoying Centro and the southside before heading south to Boca de Tomatlan. You might also have some more time to enjoy town and your way back after lunch.

Hank

Thanks Hank,

But say we were to take a taxi down to Boca. Any idea of the costs?

Thanks Hank,

But say we were to take a taxi down to Boca. Any idea of the costs?

Hmmm, I will take an educated guess that it will be about 200-225 Pesos (from the Marina) which is less than $15. But all is negotiable. And keep in mind that the taxis (I think many are a cream to white color) that are at the port cost more then the normal yellow taxis you can find on any outside road. So if you are going to use a taxi we recommend walking out of the port over to the main road (you will see Walmart and Sam's across the road) and looking for a yellow taxi. Ask the driver how much to Boca Tomatlan and they should give you an answer (or you look for a different taxi). Taxi drivers will accept Pesos or US Dollars, but if you pay in dollars you can expect to pay more since you will not get the best exchange rate. So if the driver gives you a price in Pesos ask him for "US Dollars" unless you have the Pesos.

Hank

• 3 weeks later...

Hank

Can you recommend a good restaurant? It appears you know the town. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Can you recommend a good restaurant? It appears you know the town. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Now I have to be careful, because other "Amigo's" who also live in PV are lurking and might take me to task. PV is a foodie haven and we could recommend more then a dozen restaurants without any hesitation. But with hundreds to choose from you need to narrow down the field :). Of course there is always the location issue, the type of cuisine, whether it is for lunch or dinner (many of our favorite restaurants are only open for dinner), and your price range. For lunch, the Ocean Grill (already mentioned) is one of the real "hot places" to go, but is also one of the most difficult restaurants to access in the entire region.

Many cruisers seem to prefer going to a place for fun more then the cuisine. For example, we live right over the "Sea Monkey" which is a very popular place for lunch (and hours of fun). They have tables right on the sand, sell Margaritas (not the best...but OK) and decent beer for only $1. And they have a pretty typical menu of familiar Mexican food like tacos and burritos. While the food and drink is nothing to shout about, the price and atmosphere are good. But continue to walk another 5 minutes down the beach and you would come to Daiquiri Dicks which is a more classy place (with prices to match) where the drinks will cost more, but will also be of higher quality. And they do have decent food. Keep walking down the beach for another 5 minutes and you would eventually come to La Palapa which is even more expensive but with a reputation for excellent food and also have tables right on the sand. And these are just 3 places in the Southside (Romantic Zone/Old Town) surrounded by many more places....most of which are pretty decent. Perhaps you prefer Austrian food and we have that at Kaiser Maximilian which is very close to those other places (I love their schnitzel).

If you were staying for dinner we could give you lots of great ideas :). One reason we love living in PV is that we can walk to several hundred eating venues without needing a bus or taxi. There are nights when DW and I will eat great tacos for dinner and our tab might be about $25 (including drinks) for two. There are other places we can go where dinner will cost us well over $100, but would rival atmosphere and cuisine found elsewhere at more then double that price. How about dinner with an amazing view and a 10 piece World-class Mariachi Band? We have that too. I guess this is part of why we smile when reading all the nasty stuff about Mexico and even PV. Having been all over the world this is the city we have chosen for our winter home. And after 10 years we have yet to find another place we would rather be during those great weather months.

Hank

P.S. Forgive me for getting carried away :). But the thing about those that live in PV for part of all of the year is that most of us are very passionate about this city and region.

Edited by Hlitner