Venice to Istanbul Sept. 2015

Gourmet Gal

We are considering a few SS excursions and are looking for some feedback from those who are familiar with this itinerary. We are not interested in any beach time.

In Hvar we are interested in the Rib Boat to Split to see the Diocletian Palace. Is it worth spending most of the day in Split vs Hvar?

In Kotor we are interested in "Flavours, Traditions of Montenego" which includes travel through the lake region. Any comments?

In Santorini there is a tour that includes Profitis Ilias, Oia and a winery. I think we could DIY here but we have some credits to use and this seemed to cover a good amount without too long a bus ride on curvy, winding, narrow roads.

We have private tours arranged everywhere else but any feedback on the itinerary is appreciated.

We did the same tour in santorini.

It was just ok. Everyplace was mobbed with tourists. The views from the winery we're lovely but I felt like it was just another place to shop. In retrospect our time would have been better spent going to akrotiri or ancient Thera.

I was just too uncomfortable with exploring on our own at the time to DIY. Now I would.

Agree with Spinnaker2. Santorini is very touristy. We broke away from the tour in Oia, where we found sort of a hidden cafe with a marvelous view to the white houses with the blue roofs and the ocean. We just chilled out with Peronis and a local concoction until we found our way back to Thera and the cable car. But, it's good to take the SS bus with a careful driver up the winding road...and down, as well!

Hi Gourmet Gal - Sounds like I'll be doing the same cruise in July. This is my first SS cruise (although my in-laws, who we're going with, have been on many).

I've just started to plan our excursions now and have also been looking at doing a mix of SS excursions and private excursions. If you don't mind me asking, who did you end up booking with? I've heard good things about Ephesus Deluxe, and Olympic Tours by Niki.

Thanks!

The concert at Ephesus in the evening was lovely.

There was an opportunity to see Ephesus in more depth, I.e., the terrace houses that was sold out. Next time I go, that's a tour I wouldn't miss. Not sure if you can get the terrace house tour privately.

I thought JPAlbany did a review of the terrace houses? you might want to see if you can find the review. He and Chris often go on their own.

On SB late august 2014 we did the private concert in Ephesus at 7pm or so the evening of the stop. My guess is SS does the same thing, I would say about 200 peeps went from our ship. If you can swing it a small group with private guide is the way to see the ruins.

4321, did you look in the MySilversea web page?

That's where you can book tours and make dinner reservations.

If the concert was offered it should be listed in there. You can book on board, and if there is still room, you might get it but I suggest booking all beforehand. For example, our July trip already is sold out in some excursions.

The concert is not offered by SS. We were seriously considering SB for this cruise and would have booked but we thought there were too many Greek islands! We have booked private with Ephesus Port Tours, Daily Istanbul Tours and Culinary Backstreets in Istanbul. I am now thinking of just renting a car in Santorini and will definitely go private in Kotor. I am still interested in the Rib Boat to Split from Hvar.

The Ephesus concert is offered on our Silver Spirit cruise this October. We have done it before (Whisper 2002), and it is a lovely time, as Spinnaker2 said. From what I've seen on the web site, the Spirit cruises have the concert at the small Odeon amphitheater, and the Wind cruises have it by the Library.

Thanks for the suggestions, GourmetGal. I've been emailing back and forth with Ephesus Port Tours and they have been incredibly responsive (and offer a nice discount if booking a tour in Istanbul, as well). Have you been able to find many reviews for them? The TripAdvisor page only has 8 and I couldn't find any additional review in other forums.

Wellseasoned, when on the Spirit in October? We may have the opportunity to dine together! What a treat!

Hi, duct tape! We board the Spirit in Istanbul Oct. 7 and leave in Athens Oct. 26. We'll be staying at the Sultanahmet prior to the cruise. We'd love to see you again!

4321, In Ephesus I am seriously considering the ship's tour that includes an archeologist instead of Ephesus Port Tours. Even though the ship's tour does not include Mary's house I think we may have a more informative vusit to the ruins. Plus I have a huge credit to use so we are looking at a couple of ships' tours.

In answer to your question, I think I found EPT on TripAdvisor and they had good reviews.

I am still seeking comments on the Rib Boat to Split (from Hvar) from anyone who has taken the excursion.