Venice - Regata Storica day advice

diamondj

A) We need to transfer from our hotel near San Marco (San Zacharia) to the cruise terminal, for boarding around lunchtime.

However, I believe the Grand Canal is likely to be closed at some point during the morning of Sunday 3rd September, in readiness for the Regata Storica and associated rowing races.

Has anyone any knowledge/experience of what happens on this day, and can anyone advise best way to get to cruise terminal if GC is closed early in the morning.

B)

Does anyone know if you are able to get off the ship (NCL Star) once you have checked in on boarding day? We wondered if we would be able to see anything of the Regata from the cruise terminal area.

All advice gladly received. :cool:

The parade seems to start at 4pm but I imagine there's a lot of organizing/positioning that goes on prior.

http://www.regatastoricavenezia.it/rs.php?pg=7&lang=en&ed=2017

The blue line of the Alilaguna serves the cruise port. Probably the easiest option regardless of the Regata.

http://www.alilaguna.it/en/linea-blu/map

We were in Venice last year when the regatta was on and I don't remember it affecting the San Marco area and the cruise terminal area.

The Rialto Bridge was closed and they were trying to sell VIP seating along the banks. The race was along the canal headed in the direction of the train station.