Antarctica Gear Sizing

Chairsin

To those of you who have been on Seabourn's Antarctica cruise can you tell me if the sizing of the parka and rental boots run true to size? I have reviewed the sizing chart and am still torn between ordering an extra small or small parka for myself. I usually wear US 4-6 which would indicate extra small but I do want to make sure there is room for my base layers. And the boot issue is tough because there are no half sizes and thus I am between two sizes. Should I play it safe and err on the larger size and be prepared if necessary to wear an extra pair of socks?

To those of you who have been on Seabourn's Antarctica cruise can you tell me if the sizing of the parka and rental boots run true to size? I have reviewed the sizing chart and am still torn between ordering an extra small or small parka for myself. I usually wear US 4-6 which would indicate extra small but I do want to make sure there is room for my base layers. And the boot issue is tough because there are no half sizes and thus I am between two sizes. Should I play it safe and err on the larger size and be prepared if necessary to wear an extra pair of socks?

Play it safe but do be aware that, when we went, there was a the 'great' Parka exchange and the 'great' boot exchange once we were at sea and which enabled everyone to 'right size' their gear.

I found the sizing guidelines to be pretty accurate, however if you are "between sizes" my advice is err on getting a larger size rather than going for the smaller option. With the number of layers you will be wearing a bit of spare space is definitely an advantage. Also getting in and out of the zodiacs requires a bit of dexterity, you don't want tight clothing. The same with boots - definitely go up a size and wear two pairs of thick socks if you need to. There is an opportunity to swap the parkas and boots while on board too, so if you find your choices are really not suitable, there is a chance you will be able to get something else on board anyway.

Don't worry, the Antarctica expeditions are not a fashion parade! Everyone looks the same - large and funny, all rugged up with just eyes showing! It remains one of our all time amazing travel experiences, I am so glad we did it.