Gluten Free on the Getaway?

alliemariek

Does anyone know what the gluten free options are like in the free restaurants on the Getaway? I know I read that I can contact Norwegian to arrange for gluten free food. However I don't have celiac, just a sensitivity to gluten. I just can't have large amounts of gluten/ eat it at every single meal so I don't want to be forced into an entirely gluten free trip if I can help it.

Does anyone know what the gluten free options are like in the free restaurants on the Getaway? I know I read that I can contact Norwegian to arrange for gluten free food. However I don't have celiac, just a sensitivity to gluten. I just can't have large amounts of gluten/ eat it at every single meal so I don't want to be forced into an entirely gluten free trip if I can help it.

I haven't dined on the Getaway, but have on the Jade. I had a gluten sensitivity and they were great working with me. No one will force you to eat only GF foods for the week! I notified the access desk before sailing and there was a letter awaiting me in my cabin. It instructed me to go to Guest Services and ask for the assistant maitre d. I did that and he and I talked about my limitations.

When dining in the MDR, you can order your food the night before and they'll prepare it in a separate area in the galley so there's no cross-contamination. They also have some pretty decent GF bread. If cross-contamination isn't an issue for you and you just want low gluten items, then talk to whomever they assign to you and let him or her know waht you need. I found them to be really easy to work with. The waiters are usually good about knowing what is and isn't GF. I didn't get sick the entire trip...what a treat!

The above posted is correct. I sailed Getaway last year and again this upcoming Thanksgiving with gluten intolerance and they were really easy to work with.

You can contact access desk prior but I also found that going to Taste on embarkation day they will get you squared away. Just talk to the hostess who will get your information.

The first two nights I had my meals picked the night before. I then realized that there were so many already gluten free options that I could just wing it. If you dine in the Specialty Restaurants there are limitless options.

The staff on the Getaway is beyond helpful. You will have a great cruise!

This is such great news! Our 16 year old daughter has a really hard time with Gluten and tries to avoid it as much as possible. Sounds like it will be easy for her on our upcoming NCL Jewel cruise!! Can't wait to tell her!!

Thanks,

Sue

:)

• 1 month later...

Please don't request GF, then eat gluten. This is why celiac disease isn't taken seriously and celiacs end up getting sick. Some self diagnosed GF intolerant person will request a gluten free meal, then ask for a bud light, or a cake (made with wheat flour) for desert. When servers and chefs see this, they figure a little won't hurt the next person who happens to be a celiac; or they just assume its all BS. If you're going to request the servers and chefs go out of their way to prepare you a gluten free meal, its kind of a kick in the balls when they see you eat something with gluten later. If you feel you just need to cut back on gluten, choose meats and vegetables and request no bread.

Please don't request GF, then eat gluten. This is why celiac disease isn't taken seriously and celiacs end up getting sick. Some self diagnosed GF intolerant person will request a gluten free meal, then ask for a bud light, or a cake (made with wheat flour) for desert. When servers and chefs see this, they figure a little won't hurt the next person who happens to be a celiac; or they just assume its all BS. If you're going to request the servers and chefs go out of their way to prepare you a gluten free meal, its kind of a kick in the balls when they see you eat something with gluten later. If you feel you just need to cut back on gluten, choose meats and vegetables and request no bread.

As long as they don't pretend to have celiac disease but are honest about the reasons all is good. I requested gluten free / dairy free / no cereal grains as part of a paleo diet and the access desk at least pretended to be understanding.

No one even said a word when I asked the pre cruise concierge to note having almond milk in my cabin due to my diet and then requested M&Ms ;)

I agree with you. My daughter and I both have celiac and this is a problem for us.

On the same note, don't request gf foods if you haven't done so before the cruise. On my royal cruise they ran out of a lot of gf food and I was starving. I suspect that people who didn't request gf prior to cruise were asking for gf foods here and there and then people who really need it don't have enough to eat.

Edited by Natmom
Adding info

That is really nearly impossible to happens as fish, meat, eggs, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds are all gluten free.

I'm well aware that those items are gluten free. I'm talking about the gf breads, muffin, cakes, desserts that the cruise line makes for people who notified them ahead of time. I don't want to eat eggs or plain chicken everyday of a 7 day cruise because people who aren't celiac or who didn't notify the cruise line in advance eat the gf items

Not to try to start an argument, but "cutting back" on gluten does nothing. You either have an autoimmune reaction to gluten or you don't. I'm sick of these fad diet people that think eating less gluten makes them feel better. If you want to self diagnose yourself fine; but if you don't eliminate gluten completely there is no benefit. In fact a gluten free diet is not healthy. I take many vitamins to avoid deficiency. Celiacs and people diagnosed with gluten sensitivity do not ever consume anything with gluten without getting ill. End rant.

Fuzz Head and Nats Mom are right. My son has celiac disease that caused neurological damage because of lack of nutrition. My father in law almost died with major organs shutting down hours to live before being diagnosed. The only thing that is great are the "lifestylers" as I call them, they have made it extremely easy to navigate the supermarket with all the certified gluten free food out there. MY sons doctor keeps reminding me it is a fad and 10 years from now it will be different for us that have children and relatives with true Celiac Disease and severe allergies.

I do believe there are severe allergies to gluten, I am upset at all the people who are doing it as a lifestyle change and "cheat".

NCL has been absolutely terrific for my son. Kudos to the Breakaway. They are able to make whatever he wants when he wants, he is not limited to the menu. He never got sick on the two cruises we took and had plenty of food and what a variety of baked goods. We are extremely happy with NCL.

Not to try to start an argument, but "cutting back" on gluten does nothing. You either have an autoimmune reaction to gluten or you don't. I'm sick of these fad diet people that think eating less gluten makes them feel better. If you want to self diagnose yourself fine; but if you don't eliminate gluten completely there is no benefit. In fact a gluten free diet is not healthy. I take many vitamins to avoid deficiency. Celiacs and people diagnosed with gluten sensitivity do not ever consume anything with gluten without getting ill. End rant.

Agreed !

Fuzz Head and Nats Mom are right. My son has celiac disease that caused neurological damage because of lack of nutrition. My father in law almost died with major organs shutting down hours to live before being diagnosed. The only thing that is great are the "lifestylers" as I call them, they have made it extremely easy to navigate the supermarket with all the certified gluten free food out there. MY sons doctor keeps reminding me it is a fad and 10 years from now it will be different for us that have children and relatives with true Celiac Disease and severe allergies.

I do believe there are severe allergies to gluten, I am upset at all the people who are doing it as a lifestyle change and "cheat".

NCL has been absolutely terrific for my son. Kudos to the Breakaway. They are able to make whatever he wants when he wants, he is not limited to the menu. He never got sick on the two cruises we took and had plenty of food and what a variety of baked goods. We are extremely happy with NCL.

I'm so glad to hear positive reviews re NCL! We are sailing in February for the first time. We have done Disney twice and they were phenomenal and royal once which was a huge disappointment.

I am glad I read this thread. My husband has Celiac disease and as much as he would love to order a Bud Light - he wouldn't do it! This is not a fad, it is a life style change and a big one.

I was unsure of whether it was necessary to contact the cruise line to inform them of his condition but after reading this post, I will call first thing in the am.

Bobbi

That is really nearly impossible to happens as fish, meat, eggs, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds are all gluten free.

Assuming those items are not infused with soy sauce, covered in non GF spice blends, pre-mixed with flour to prevent sticking. As a Celiac, you must never assume anything is GF.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

I am glad I read this thread. My husband has Celiac disease and as much as he would love to order a Bud Light - he wouldn't do it! This is not a fad, it is a life style change and a big one.

I was unsure of whether it was necessary to contact the cruise line to inform them of his condition but after reading this post, I will call first thing in the am.

Bobbi

Some cruise lines stock gluten free beer all the time, but others don't. I'd ask about that, too, if he has an interest.

Well said! For those of us who have to be 100% GF for medical reasons it is not a joke. Getting contaminated with gluten on a cruise means days of agony for me. I might as well catch Noro as eat a few crumbs of gluten as the effect is the same + my dermatitis herpeteformis flares and I look like a monster with a horrible blistering rash.

I almost cried when I saw a Celiac say they eat 95% Gluten free. What a joke. Every mouthful of gluten damages the intestines. You are either gluten free or you aren't. If you have Celiac Disease there is no middle ground.

I saw you post this once before about your DS. You are the only other Celiac family I have ever heard of whose symptoms were neurological like mine. I had neurological issues as far back as 16 years old and was not diagnosed until I was 46. It is amazing they found your son's Celiac! With over 300 different symptoms and no two people presenting exactly alike, it can be so hard to diagnose. I wish CC had private messaging. I'd love to hear more of your story.

Bobbi

You don't call the regular number; you need to contact the access desk. Here are the phone number and email address:

1-866-584-9756

accessdesk@ncl.com

There's a form you complete and send back. My email address is pretty long and if I give to someone over the phone, it's not unusual for them to get it wrong, so emailing is my preference. That way, they just respond to my email with the form attached.

I understand the concerns of people who have celiac or have family members who do. But there are some who have gluten sensitivity and it's not a "fad." I had a two-year period where I got very sick whenever I ate anything with gluten in it and I did a couple cruises during that time. NCL was fantastic about providing me with GF foods. And, no, I never "cheated." If chefs are thinking "a little is okay" because they've seen people order GF for their meal and then have a beer or a piece of cake, they aren't well trained or are ignoring their training. As I understand it, NCL has separate areas in their kitchen where GF foods are prepared to avoid cross-contamination so someone there obviously understands the issues. When I've talked with the maitre d and wait staff, I've had no doubt I was in good hands and they appeared very well educated on what does and doesn't contain gluten. They even made sure at Teppanyaki that my food didn't come into contact with any soy sauce. I appreciated their attention to detail which allowed me to have a great vacation without ever getting sick! :D

Some cruise lines stock gluten free beer all the time, but others don't. I'd ask about that, too, if he has an interest.

Thanks for the tip on the gluten free beer! There is only so much Titos and red wine he can drink (I am laughing) but I should probably ask about GF alcohol, too. Our nutrionist told us all distiller alcohol is Gluten free but I am NOT SURE that I agree.

Actually, it never crossed my mind that they would have GF BAKED GOODS available so this has been extremely informative.

You don't call the regular number; you need to contact the access desk. Here are the phone number and email address:

1-866-584-9756

accessdesk@ncl.com

There's a form you complete and send back. My email address is pretty long and if I give to someone over the phone, it's not unusual for them to get it wrong, so emailing is my preference. That way, they just respond to my email with the form attached.

I understand the concerns of people who have celiac or have family members who do. But there are some who have gluten sensitivity and it's not a "fad." I had a two-year period where I got very sick whenever I ate anything with gluten in it and I did a couple cruises during that time. NCL was fantastic about providing me with GF foods. And, no, I never "cheated." If chefs are thinking "a little is okay" because they've seen people order GF for their meal and then have a beer or a piece of cake, they aren't well trained or are ignoring their training. As I understand it, NCL has separate areas in their kitchen where GF foods are prepared to avoid cross-contamination so someone there obviously understands the issues. When I've talked with the maitre d and wait staff, I've had no doubt I was in good hands and they appeared very well educated on what does and doesn't contain gluten. They even made sure at Teppanyaki that my food didn't come into contact with any soy sauce. I appreciated their attention to detail which allowed me to have a great vacation without ever getting sick! :D

Thank you so much Quilting Cruiser. I have already sent an e-mail

Bobbi

Assuming those items are not infused with soy sauce, covered in non GF spice blends, pre-mixed with flour to prevent sticking. As a Celiac, you must never assume anything is GF.

Well, I was responding to a different aspect, see highlighted part of the quote.

I agree with you. My daughter and I both have celiac and this is a problem for us.

On the same note, don't request gf foods if you haven't done so before the cruise. On my royal cruise they ran out of a lot of gf food and I was starving. I suspect that people who didn't request gf prior to cruise were asking for gf foods here and there and then people who really need it don't have enough to eat.

I don't mind getting bashed for following a hyped life style diet but starving because of not getting GF muffins or cake is not much different. For sure it is not a medical requirement ;)

Well, I was responding to a different aspect, see highlighted part of the quote.

I don't mind getting bashed for following a hyped life style diet but starving because of not getting GF muffins or cake is not much different. For sure it is not a medical requirement ;)

I'm sorry, but when I call different cruise lines prior to booking and am told that they will have gf bread, gf pancakes, dedicated fries, gf burger buns, gf pizza, wraps, gf desserts and then I book and pay the same fee as everyone else only to get onboard and find out that I can have scrambled eggs, plain chicken and lettuce with no dressing for seven days is irritating. Yes, I was very hungry and very let down. The ship needs to plan for how many people will want gluten free So hearing that someone will ask for gf items but not notify the ship ahead of time because they will want to eat gluten sometimes is very disrespectful to the people who need to eat gluten free for medical reasons.