WiFi package advice please?

scareyness

Is it worth buying a package before we board?

I would possibly need to go online for 10-15 minutes a day to check my business emails and maybe post a few pictures to my social media for family so not huge usage.

In the past have found using internet very expensive on ships, so not wanting to spent loads of money on it.

I can use free wifi when ashore, but I'm not usually one for spending ages online when in port, got better things to do! :)

Any advice much appreciated. :)

We got the "social" internet package. It was only $19.99 ( or something like that) and we thought it would work for communicating with our kids while we are gone. It says no video or audio. You can do photos and facebook at least though, not sure about email, but I would assume so.

We pre-purchased the 'Surfer' package which gives you 20% extra if you pay in advance. So you get a limit for the whole cruise of 960MB instead of 800MB if you purchase on board. So I would say it pays to pre-purchase.

Except for 1 day when the system appeared to be completely down, access was available (better in some areas than others). We managed to log on for probably at least 30 mins per day updating social media, uploading photos and reading emails and I know I still had some MB left at the end of the cruise.

You will be prompted to 'upgrade' if you want to a faster service and get priority access for a nominal fee and if you do exhaust your data, it is very reasonable to extend your plan.

For the package we had you get a 2 device limit so I could happily use both my iPad and iPhone, and the system always tells you how much data you have used on each device and how much you have left very clearly.

The cost for us for this package in advance was £24.50 for the whole 7 day sailing and I consider this one of the most reasonable priced in the industry.

• 2 weeks later...

Question about the Social package. We use the Verizon Messages texting app which works over WiFi. Would this be considered "Social Network" same as Facebook, Twitter, etc.? Again, the text messages send through WiFi.

I bought the surfer package and used it every day for ages as was posting photos onto this thread from throughout the 10 days. At the end I still had lots of unused data.

The main thing is keep remembering to turn off the wifi after you have used it each time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I brought the surfer package in advance and got 960MB, not that I even understood what that meant. lol

We were on a 7 night cruise. I needed to check my emails numerous times a day and also be able to get into my booking system to add bookings (I own a guest house)

I found the whole issue and absolute wind up! I had huge difficulties logging in, I managed to register my tablet but not my phone (you can add 2 devices) someone on reception kindly helped me to add my phone. They told me wifi was available anywhere on the ship. It was not!

I tried just about every location, cabin, on deck, in reception, in all the bars, it was soooooo slow!

I used 40mb out of 960, total waste of time for me.