Mother daughter ESCAPE (review) - March 11-18

jojoey

Next up, Le Bistro, Nassau and Escape the Big Top. I'm off to Vancouver for a few days so it might be few days in coming.

And just before you get to the good, new stuff! Excited to hear your feedback on this!

Edited by tripleboom

Enjoying your review thus far. It is so nice to read a review from someone who was onboard recently! I have to say that I read many negative reviews before my first time on the Escape last year, and I still don't understand why! Glad to see that people such as yourself are still enjoying it! I'm really looking forward to sailing the Escape again next week and reading your review is getting me even more excited! Thanks for the time you've spent writing it!

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the delay! Was in Vancouver and apparently taking me a while to get back into it.

The Thursday was our last sea day and they had changed our Escape Room time to that afternoon from Friday night. We had an invite for drinks and appies at the Brewhouse, but I wasn't sure why, for around noon that day. I thought maybe it was a meet the captain/crew party for return guests, but it was a second Meet and Greet, put on by the ship. Nice touch. They even had a band playing.

We spent the day enjoying the ship, mostly inside (except for the required ping pong) - trivia, lame attempts (me) at salsa lessons, arcade, shops, lots of food and Escape The Big Top.

Escape the Big Top was so fun and I highly recommend it. I had done one of these before, but this was totally different. It was set up in the supper club, and Alec, our fave dance instructor, came dressed up the circus leader and hosted the event. You're set up in tables of eight, and our time slot had five tables.

Each table has the same bag of clues, and you've got several stations to figure out. I think our group was pretty slow, because we had only got three words by the time the winning team finished. Oh, and only one of our three words was correct!! While we may have been a pretty lame team, it was super fun and I highly recommend it. It lasts an hour, but only40 minutes in our case because of the mensa winning team. Bring a cocktail with you - I missed the boat on that one!

Dinner that night was at Le Bistro. Service was fantastic, food good. I remembered it being way better than it was. It was my daughter's least fave, so I think it's off our list for next year. Others did rave about it though.

Sea days are so fun on the Escape. There really is something for everyone, whether you want to chill and read, party at the pool or take part in other activities. Sadness was starting to creep in, knowing that the next day was our last...

Apologies for the delay! Was in Vancouver and apparently taking me a while to get back into it.

The Thursday was our last sea day and they had changed our Escape Room time to that afternoon from Friday night. We had an invite for drinks and appies at the Brewhouse, but I wasn't sure why, for around noon that day. I thought maybe it was a meet the captain/crew party for return guests, but it was a second Meet and Greet, put on by the ship. Nice touch. They even had a band playing.

We spent the day enjoying the ship, mostly inside (except for the required ping pong) - trivia, lame attempts (me) at salsa lessons, arcade, shops, lots of food and Escape The Big Top.

Escape the Big Top was so fun and I highly recommend it. I had done one of these before, but this was totally different. It was set up in the supper club, and Alec, our fave dance instructor, came dressed up the circus leader and hosted the event. You're set up in tables of eight, and our time slot had five tables.

Each table has the same bag of clues, and you've got several stations to figure out. I think our group was pretty slow, because we had only got three words by the time the winning team finished. Oh, and only one of our three words was correct!! While we may have been a pretty lame team, it was super fun and I highly recommend it. It lasts an hour, but only40 minutes in our case because of the mensa winning team. Bring a cocktail with you - I missed the boat on that one!

Dinner that night was at Le Bistro. Service was fantastic, food good. I remembered it being way better than it was. It was my daughter's least fave, so I think it's off our list for next year. Others did rave about it though.

Sea days are so fun on the Escape. There really is something for everyone, whether you want to chill and read, party at the pool or take part in other activities. Sadness was starting to creep in, knowing that the next day was our last...

For the Escape room experience, did you book this first day on ship or prior to sail? I think my family would enjoy that. We don't sail til January.

For the Escape room experience, did you book this first day on ship or prior to sail? I think my family would enjoy that. We don't sail til January.

We tried hard to book as soon as we boarded (in Headliners and at the front desk), but I didn't know the "Big Top" title. It became quite comical trying to find out how to book the 'Escape Room' on the ESCAPE! I think most thought we just wanted another room?! In their defense, it was pretty new, just one or two cruises prior us had had it and they hadn't heard.

We also tried on the ship's interactive screens and on the app - no luck. Finally a front desk person overheard and told us to go to the box office at the Supper Club. Easy peasy and then they called our room to give us a few options when the time had changed. My daughter loved it!! Definitely try it!

We arrived at Nassau early for a medical emergency, and were told that we would be told when we could disembark. It was a cool. drizzly morning so it was fun chilling and watching the ships come in.

People seem to have strong feelings about Nassau, and I'm always surprised by those who don't get off the ship, especially if they've never been before. We've been many times, but always get off, even if it's for a short stop. This time, though, we were doing something different - checking out the Queen's Staircase. It was an easy walk, though would have been easier if there were actually street signs once we got away from the main downtown area, but we managed just fine.

As we were walking up, a man joined us, asking where we were going. It was busy enough so I wasn't worried. Turns out he was going to the police training base beside the steps, so he gave us some history, explained that the hospital had just had a major reno as we walked by it, etc. He was sweet and our own tour guide!

When we got there we were stopped by a man. He had an id around his neck which looked official, yet torn, and he started telling us the history etc. We didn't know what to do - I couldn't tell if we had to pay to pass or he was an "entrepreneur". Well, his young daughter started running around and he had to chase her, so that answered that and we were off. We climbed the 60+ steps. At the top were sales booths like at the straw market, though we would've paid anything for a drink - none of that! Had the guy at the start been sitting on a cooler of water bottles, he'd make a fortune!

I'm glad we did it, the view was nice. Not sure you're missing out if you don't do it. We went back down a different way, which was nice to see different building and gardens. Did a bit of the straw market and shops, and my daughter bought a conch shell from the young divers for $5. Back to the ship for lunch at O'Sheehan's, because once again we were too late for Taste/ Savor.

Got comfy loungers and chilled, played ping pong, looked at our pictures and basically just enjoyed the ship for the final day. Dinner that night was at Taste (Savor?). I already had a glass of wine and Nicole asked our server for a cranberry juice and he literally yelled at her, saying she was IN NO WAY allowed juice with her card. Um ok. I said, no problem, but she's had it all week, and so she asked for water. The couple next to us were laughing, and when he left they said it reminded them of the Seinfeld, Soup naz* episode - no juice for you! I'm not sure what point he was trying to make during our last meal, but he was a miserable waiter who kept yelling at the poor bus girl. The meal was fun though, as we ended up chatting with the couple beside us, sharing stories of our week. About 10 minutes later, the waiter puts a juice in front of Nicole and walks away. Thank you? Whatever.

I ended up booking us through NCL for transportation to FLL the next morning, as our flight left at 12:30. It was $25 each and super easy. We did early walk off with our bags, which was crowded, slightly chaotic, but once off the ship, super fast.

Overall, it was truly a fantastic vacation. We had a five day Disney cruise booked for next March break but my daughter would rather do this one again, which we definitely will! Less money and longer so it's a no brainer. Plus, we didn't make it to any of the major shows, so there's still so much to do!

Thank You so much for taking the time to share your Escape experience. I've really enjoyed reading it!

On your arrival day back in port, how much time would you say that it took you to get off the ship and around what time were you off?

I have to schedule our pick-up at the port and knowing how long the procedure takes may help me gauge the best time.

Did you have breakfast on that morning...where?

We arrived at Nassau early for a medical emergency, and were told that we would be told when we could disembark. It was a cool. drizzly morning so it was fun chilling and watching the ships come in.

People seem to have strong feelings about Nassau, and I'm always surprised by those who don't get off the ship, especially if they've never been before. We've been many times, but always get off, even if it's for a short stop. This time, though, we were doing something different - checking out the Queen's Staircase. It was an easy walk, though would have been easier if there were actually street signs once we got away from the main downtown area, but we managed just fine.

As we were walking up, a man joined us, asking where we were going. It was busy enough so I wasn't worried. Turns out he was going to the police training base beside the steps, so he gave us some history, explained that the hospital had just had a major reno as we walked by it, etc. He was sweet and our own tour guide!

When we got there we were stopped by a man. He had an id around his neck which looked official, yet torn, and he started telling us the history etc. We didn't know what to do - I couldn't tell if we had to pay to pass or he was an "entrepreneur". Well, his young daughter started running around and he had to chase her, so that answered that and we were off. We climbed the 60+ steps. At the top were sales booths like at the straw market, though we would've paid anything for a drink - none of that! Had the guy at the start been sitting on a cooler of water bottles, he'd make a fortune!

I'm glad we did it, the view was nice. Not sure you're missing out if you don't do it. We went back down a different way, which was nice to see different building and gardens. Did a bit of the straw market and shops, and my daughter bought a conch shell from the young divers for $5. Back to the ship for lunch at O'Sheehan's, because once again we were too late for Taste/ Savor.

Got comfy loungers and chilled, played ping pong, looked at our pictures and basically just enjoyed the ship for the final day. Dinner that night was at Taste (Savor?). I already had a glass of wine and Nicole asked our server for a cranberry juice and he literally yelled at her, saying she was IN NO WAY allowed juice with her card. Um ok. I said, no problem, but she's had it all week, and so she asked for water. The couple next to us were laughing, and when he left they said it reminded them of the Seinfeld, Soup naz* episode - no juice for you! I'm not sure what point he was trying to make during our last meal, but he was a miserable waiter who kept yelling at the poor bus girl. The meal was fun though, as we ended up chatting with the couple beside us, sharing stories of our week. About 10 minutes later, the waiter puts a juice in front of Nicole and walks away. Thank you? Whatever.

I ended up booking us through NCL for transportation to FLL the next morning, as our flight left at 12:30. It was $25 each and super easy. We did early walk off with our bags, which was crowded, slightly chaotic, but once off the ship, super fast.

Overall, it was truly a fantastic vacation. We had a five day Disney cruise booked for next March break but my daughter would rather do this one again, which we definitely will! Less money and longer so it's a no brainer. Plus, we didn't make it to any of the major shows, so there's still so much to do!

For your FLL transfer on disembarkment day... we are looking at a flight (Canada) at 12;30pm also. What time did they get you to FLL airport and was it lots of time or feel rushed? what time did you get off ship?

Thanks.

Thank You so much for taking the time to share your Escape experience. I've really enjoyed reading it!

On your arrival day back in port, how much time would you say that it took you to get off the ship and around what time were you off?

I have to schedule our pick-up at the port and knowing how long the procedure takes may help me gauge the best time.

Did you have breakfast on that morning...where?

Hi Nisa! I'm so glad you enjoyed my report! We were totally ready to go the next morning so we ran up to the buffet for breakfast. It was busy but totally manageable, and they still had a full selection offered, not like other cruise lines that often have reduced selections.

It took us about 35 minutes to get from our cabin off the ship. It was really clogged up to get off, but I think a big part of that was due to the big group having excursions booked. Once we were past them we blew threw Customs. Can't wait to read about your cruise!

For your FLL transfer on disembarkment day... we are looking at a flight (Canada) at 12;30pm also. What time did they get you to FLL airport and was it lots of time or feel rushed? what time did you get off ship?

Thanks.

Hi Leslie,

My original plan was to get an Uber to FLL, but because I have a blackberry (no Uber app), I'd need wifi for my iPad so I knew I couldn't count on that which is why we went with the shuttle. It was totally fine and we were on the road by 9 am. Our flight (WestJet to Ottawa) left at 12:50, and I thought we had TONS of time. Which would have been the case with any other airline. We got there before 10 and the line up for WJ went all the way outside and snaked around the sidewalk. Now it was the end of Ontario Spring break, so maybe this was an exception, but there were only two WJ desks.

We probably left our room right around 8. We had to let a few elevators go. Next time I'd hop in the ones going up to secure a spot on the way down.

Hope this helps Leslie!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for taking the time to review. Going on Escape in Aug, just on DCL last June, my DS17 was not so sure he wanted change since he like the teen club so much last year, when I showed him pictures on the web site he quickly changed his mind. One last trip with the teen club before he turns 18.

Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation with your daughter.

Thank you for taking the time to review. Going on Escape in Aug, just on DCL last June, my DS17 was not so sure he wanted change since he like the teen club so much last year, when I showed him pictures on the web site he quickly changed his mind. One last trip with the teen club before he turns 18.

Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation with your daughter.

I think your son will be really pleased! My daughter loves LOVES the clubs on DCL, and was most disappointed with the one on the NCL Star when we did the Baltics 2 years ago. She is still raving about this one, going on about how great the counselors were on the Escape and how they had such fun activities. Have a great time!