Cannes Rental Car Questions

Quilting_Cruiser

We arrived in Cannes at 8 a.m. and I schedule picking up the car rental at 9 a.m. I'm hoping to get off on one of the earliest tenders and IIRC the rental office opens at 9:00. If all goes well, that should get me to St Paul no later than 10:30. My thinking is that I'll spend an hour or two there and then head for Tourrettes-sur-Loup and enjoy the rest of the time there until I need to head back to the ship. Last tender will be at 5:30 (same itinerary as hitherandyon) and I was thinking I would need to head back by 3:45 or 4:00. Does that seem reasonable?

I'd love to see more, but I'd prefer to spend two or three hours in two villages than see more villages and feel rushed. I'd like to find a place (probably in Tourrettes-sur-Loup) to enjoy a leisurely lunch watching the goings-on.

That sounds like a very good plan, the crowds and traffic will not be as bad in Sept-Oct. You should really make it to ST Paul by 10. Except that your outside limit to start heading back should be 3:30. I am not kidding. The traffic in the Cagnes-sur-Mer area can be a zoo anytime of the year. Hopefully, you will not have any delays and be able to enjoy some time in Cannes. Cannes really is a "destination," not just a port to get away from.

That sounds like a very good plan, the crowds and traffic will not be as bad in Sept-Oct. Except that your outside limit to start heading back should be 3:30. I am not kidding. The traffic in the Cagnes-sur-Mer area can be a zoo anytime of the year. Hopefully, you will not have any delays and be able to enjoy some time in Cannes. Cannes really is a "destination," not just a port to get away from.

Thank you, Marazul. I will take your advice and make sure I'm back in the car no later than 3:30 making my way back to Cannes. I can't wait!

Q-C

We spend (and have spent ) our summer holidays in France, driving from the UK for the last 40 odd years. We would always use the Michelin maps rather than any other. In the past it was paper maps, but now we use http://www.viamichelin.com

It gives you toll charges, likely delays and the choice of route - whether you want shortest (but not necessarily quickest!), scenic, fastest (not necessarily scenic!!) and how much you would pay for diesel or petrol.

Oh, and be careful -some rentals in France use diesel, not petrol

We spend (and have spent ) our summer holidays in France, driving from the UK for the last 40 odd years. We would always use the Michelin maps rather than any other. In the past it was paper maps, but now we use www.viamichelin.com

It gives you toll charges, likely delays and the choice of route - whether you want shortest (but not necessarily quickest!), scenic, fastest (not necessarily scenic!!) and how much you would pay for diesel or petrol.

Agree. Best travel app in Europe. We always use it for planning.

Also, rely on the "traffic" feature of your GPS for current traffic conditions.

We spend (and have spent ) our summer holidays in France, driving from the UK for the last 40 odd years. We would always use the Michelin maps rather than any other. In the past it was paper maps, but now we use www.viamichelin.com

Thank you! Marazul has pointed me toward viamichelin as well. And, thank you for the reminder about diesel! That's a mistake I don't want to make!

Thank you! Marazul has pointed me toward viamichelin as well. And, thank you for the reminder about diesel! That's a mistake I don't want to make!

Another little tip - most rental companies charge the proverbial 'arm and a leg' to refill the tank. If you fill up at the nearest supermarché or hypermarché before returning the car you will save a considerable amount.

Just a little observation - although we love cruising, it isn't the way to experience France. A port day will only scratch the surface. As I said previously, we have been visiting France on a more or less annual basis for over 40 years and we STILL find places we've never heard of or are a delight to visit. There are wonderful places which cannot easily be reached from cruise ports and so I would recommend that you try a land-based holiday. Rent a property and feel part of the scenery/neighbourhood - even if you feel your French isn't up to it!! The French are very forgiving of foreigners attempting to speak their language, and there are many English-speaking rental sites which might suit you.

It's worked wonders for us!

Just a little observation - although we love cruising, it isn't the way to experience France. A port day will only scratch the surface. As I said previously, we have been visiting France on a more or less annual basis for over 40 years and we STILL find places we've never heard of or are a delight to visit. There are wonderful places which cannot easily be reached from cruise ports and so I would recommend that you try a land-based holiday. Rent a property and feel part of the scenery/neighbourhood - even if you feel your French isn't up to it!! The French are very forgiving of foreigners attempting to speak their language, and there are many English-speaking rental sites which might suit you.

Wise words. We have met too many fellow cruisers that think they have seen Europe (and France) because they took a cruise. One of my most memorable experiences in France is went we rented an apartment in St Remy de Provence...and I would walk (every morning) to the neighborhood Boulangerie to get some fresh croissants and bread. The first week, the lady who owned the bakery would just nod with a scowl. But the 2nd week we started to get smiles and a little chat. By the end of the 2nd week we were "old friends."

Hank

In France what is the difference (pitfalls) in renting a Diesel instead of Petrol car? Hard to find fuel, use more fuel?

Or something else. All I wanted for sure is an Automatic. My husband gave me whiplash in Italy!! Been a long time

for manual transmission driving. Considering where we are going and back I can't imagine that we'd use that much

fuel anyway - but will be sure to fill up before bringing back. Is there a favorite place to fill up just before Cannes?

Can't thank everyone enough for the super tips. :cool:

Quilting-Cruiser: "When I originally mapped it, Google Maps had me going the same route to and from , so I tried to put in a couple extra villages so it would map me different ways to Tourrettes-sur-Loup and back to Cannes. But, apparently I didn't do it correctly so the links really help! "

Hint when using Google Maps - if you want to plot a different route than the 2-3 they give you with accompanying "5 minutes slower"....then just put your courser on the Blue line of the route, hold it, and move it to the route you'd like to see. You may need

to move the Blue line in several spots in order to complete.

In France what is the difference (pitfalls) in renting a Diesel instead of Petrol car? Hard to find fuel, use more fuel?

Or something else. All I wanted for sure is an Automatic. My husband gave me whiplash in Italy!! Been a long time

for manual transmission driving. Considering where we are going and back I can't imagine that we'd use that much

fuel anyway - but will be sure to fill up before bringing back. Is there a favorite place to fill up just before Cannes?

Can't thank everyone enough for the super tips.

No, what I meant was be careful not to fill your petrol tank with diesel or vice versa!!:D

So now that I have the car and know I'll be in St. Paul and Tourrettes - how about some ideas of where to stop to eat. I know that's a loaded question - so many places probably to choose from, and one person's idea of a great restaurant is another's not great restaurant. It will be for lunch only of course. And I need to be aware of dining time and sightseeing time. We are an adventuresome lot, doesn't matter if it's huge or tiny...give us some great bread, atmosphere, something local. Kids have been introduced to some mighty fine meals....they won't be a cheap date!! LOL

No, what I meant was be careful not to fill your petrol tank with diesel or vice versa!!:D

Ahhhhhhh, of course! Most cars have a narrower opening for Diesel, correct? I am assuming the same in

France. Anyway, I'll be sure to watch that!!

Je vous remercie

So now that I have the car and know I'll be in St. Paul and Tourrettes - how about some ideas of where to stop to eat. I know that's a loaded question - so many places probably to choose from, and one person's idea of a great restaurant is another's not great restaurant. It will be for lunch only of course. And I need to be aware of dining time and sightseeing time. We are an adventuresome lot, doesn't matter if it's huge or tiny...give us some great bread, atmosphere, something local. Kids have been introduced to some mighty fine meals....they won't be a cheap date!! LOL

It depends on what you are looking for. Whether you want fancy, great views and decor or a simpler, local, unpretentious place with great food. It is hard to get a bad meal in France.

I would have lunch in Tourrettes. It will be less crowded and less expensive than St Paul. There are a number of restaurants around and across the road of the main square (and parking) of Tourrettes. Look at the menus, order the "plat du jour" and enjoy.

There are many "fine dining" restaurants in the area - from La Colle-sur-Loup to Vence to Tourrettes, but they will take a lot longer for the meal. For example, Clovis in Tourrettes. It has one Michelin star. I would save them for a stay in the area when you don't have to be on a schedule.

You will not be disappointed with the daily special at the local places. We like La Barbacane, right on the square, but we have had good lunches in many others too.

If you want to do more research, look up restaurants in viamichelin.com. They are French, they know French food. I find TA's reviews underwhelming in France.

Edited by marazul

Quilting-Cruiser: "When I originally mapped it, Google Maps had me going the same route to and from , so I tried to put in a couple extra villages so it would map me different ways to Tourrettes-sur-Loup and back to Cannes. But, apparently I didn't do it correctly so the links really help! "

Hint when using Google Maps - if you want to plot a different route than the 2-3 they give you with accompanying "5 minutes slower"....then just put your courser on the Blue line of the route, hold it, and move it to the route you'd like to see. You may need

to move the Blue line in several spots in order to complete.

Thanks. I don't use it often so didn't know you could do that. :)

Wise words. We have met too many fellow cruisers that think they have seen Europe (and France) because they took a cruise. One of my most memorable experiences in France is went we rented an apartment in St Remy de Provence...and I would walk (every morning) to the neighborhood Boulangerie to get some fresh croissants and bread. The first week, the lady who owned the bakery would just nod with a scowl. But the 2nd week we started to get smiles and a little chat. By the end of the 2nd week we were "old friends."

Hank

I totally understand that I won't "see France" by visiting for one day. I live in Oregon and have for more than 50 years and there are still parts of my state (let alone my country!) that I haven't seen. My daughter and I traveled through Europe for five weeks a few years ago and spent three of those weeks in Germany. I feel like I barely saw the tip of the iceberg! I love that cruising allows me to get a taste of a lot of different places. If I had unlimited funds and time, I would be constantly traveling, rather than settling for a taste of many different places. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from cruise and renting a car from Sext in Cannes. Well, I was nervous to begin with and SO glad I had

GPS guiding me, plus my navigator daughter helping me. I lost count of the number of roundabouts, and take a right and

quick left turns. WOW. Should I tell you about getting stuck at the gate trying to figure out how to get out of a parking

garage in Saint Paul de Vence? That was memorable! At least 8 cars behind me - but all patient and no one got out

and yelled at me! But they did have to back up so I could find a parking space again and pay the machine near the elevator

up by the shops. YIKES. Roads are not that wide in many places and there is no place to turn off to the side.

I did get the hang of it and yes, did leave at 3 and so glad we did. It was a hole lot of traffic we ran into for such a short drive

of maybe 25 miles.

Saint Paul was very, very busy even at 10:00 am, Tourrettes Sur Loup was quaint and beautiful and not so busy. We decided

to not visit Vence as it was very crowded and hard to find a parking space. Tried to have lunch at La Barbacane but they were

totally booked up and went to another place I can't find the name for and it was good. At the bakery we bought 2 loaves of

bread and ate it in the car on the way back...yum!

Thanks to all that gave me all the good tips!!

Welcome home! I can't believe you've already gone and come home!!

I've driven in Ireland, England, and Wales, so I'm just thrilled they drive on the right side of the road in France! I figure I can navigate a right roundabout a lot easier than a left! LOL. Thanks for the warning on the parking garage in Saint Paul de Vence! We have that situation (pay at other places than the exit) at a number of our parking garages but I don't know that I would have looked for that in France so I appreciate the heads-up!

About what time were you able to get off the ship? I posted a thread about getting tender tickets when you board in Rome instead of Barcelona and I'm feeling relatively good that I should be able to get an early letter.

I wonder if it will be as busy the end of September as you experienced. How did you know it was busy in Vence if you didn't go there? Or are you saying you went there, couldn't find parking, and decided to leave?

Did you fill the tank before you returned the car and, if so, any issues finding a petrol station? This may be a funny question, but we don't have self-serve gas in my state so it's rare I ever pump gas...do the pumps work essentially the way they do in the U.S. or will I be confused since I don't do it often?

Happy to hear any more tips you might have!

Thanks!

Just got back from cruise and renting a car from Sext in Cannes. Well, I was nervous to begin with and SO glad I had

GPS guiding me, plus my navigator daughter helping me. I lost count of the number of roundabouts, and take a right and

quick left turns. WOW. Should I tell you about getting stuck at the gate trying to figure out how to get out of a parking

garage in Saint Paul de Vence? That was memorable! At least 8 cars behind me - but all patient and no one got out

and yelled at me! But they did have to back up so I could find a parking space again and pay the machine near the elevator

up by the shops. YIKES. Roads are not that wide in many places and there is no place to turn off to the side.

I did get the hang of it and yes, did leave at 3 and so glad we did. It was a hole lot of traffic we ran into for such a short drive

of maybe 25 miles.

Saint Paul was very, very busy even at 10:00 am, Tourrettes Sur Loup was quaint and beautiful and not so busy. We decided

to not visit Vence as it was very crowded and hard to find a parking space. Tried to have lunch at La Barbacane but they were

totally booked up and went to another place I can't find the name for and it was good. At the bakery we bought 2 loaves of

Welcome home! I can't believe you've already gone and come home!!

I've driven in Ireland, England, and Wales, so I'm just thrilled they drive on the right side of the road in France! I figure I can navigate a right roundabout a lot easier than a left! LOL. Thanks for the warning on the parking garage in Saint Paul de Vence! We have that situation (pay at other places than the exit) at a number of our parking garages but I don't know that I would have looked for that in France so I appreciate the heads-up!

About what time were you able to get off the ship? I posted a thread about getting tender tickets when you board in Rome instead of Barcelona and I'm feeling relatively good that I should be able to get an early letter.

I wonder if it will be as busy the end of September as you experienced. How did you know it was busy in Vence if you didn't go there? Or are you saying you went there, couldn't find parking, and decided to leave?

Did you fill the tank before you returned the car and, if so, any issues finding a petrol station? This may be a funny question, but we don't have self-serve gas in my state so it's rare I ever pump gas...do the pumps work essentially the way they do in the U.S. or will I be confused since I don't do it often?

Happy to hear any more tips you might have!

Thanks!

We were on the NCL Epic and I reserved a tender on the iConciege app for them, I think on the third day out.

At that time I was reserved on #3, it would have left between 7:15-7:30; grandkids were having a tough time

that day, so we actually left later at 8:30 and with the help of a taxi arrived at Sixt (not the one at the train station)

at 9 AM. Coming back to get the tender took FOREVER, we were in line around 4-4:15 and it took an hour of slow moving lines & relentless sun to get on-board. We started in Barcelona, so Cannes was our 4th stop.

We drove through Vence on the way to Tourettes-sur-loup, tried to park, and couldn't find anything. BTW St. Paul has

a lot of stores, but not "my kind of thing", still fun though. In Tourettes-sur-loup there is a parking lot that you have to

"line up" to get in and wait until someone goes so you can get in. It is very convenient, and the wait wasn't long at all.

Tried to get into La Barbacane but it was booked for the whole afternoon - food looked SO GOOD. It is right by the

parking lot and I'd make reservations for sure if going there.

I gassed (or does one say Dieseled) up off of A8 (toll road) on the way back which seemed the easiest. It was a

SHELL station, same pumping as USA, used our credit card. Just drove an off ramp to it, and got back on, easy.

Nozzles are different for petro (gas)/Diesel.

Do you have plans for Mallorca? We had a wonderful experience with a taxi driver that drove us to Valldemossa,

Herimatage of Valldermossa, Son Morroig, Deia, Soller, and Port de Soller. Picked us up at the pier and we were

back in time to board. website http://taxitrippalma.com/index.html sacovablava@hotmail.com really nice guy,

never faltered when asked questions. It was a perfect day!! Daughter and grandkids went cliff diving and they

were thrilled - picked them up at the ship too, and had them back in time. Can say enough nice things about

Sebastian. I told him what I wanted to do and he made up the route for a price. I would have stayed in Valldermossa

longer, shops were my kind of thing, not overly crowded, and lovely place slower pace.

I did all DIY with train trips and ticketing venues, did not have any problems at all and I liked the adventure, so did

the kids. Everyday I'd take my daily paper-clipped packet out and away we went. It was way too hot in Pompeii,

and 2.5 hours for the kids was an hour more than needed because of the heat...it wears on you. For some reason

Pisa did not appeal to me - so we skipped it and stayed in Florence. Took taxi to train station, then taxi (too hot to

walk) to Museo Di Palazzo Davanzati (highly recommend), walked over the Pointe Vecchio bridge to Pitti Palace

where there is tons to see. Also did a side trip to Basillica di Santa Spiritto (beautiful). Make sure you have something

to wrap over your shoulder and knees (some churches are strict with the policy, some not). Then we took the train back

to Livorno.

Rome we hooked up with WithLocals.com and a delightful young woman did a private walking tour for 4 of us seeing

what we asked to see. She was wonderful and I'd recommend this site. In the afternoon it was off to the Underground

Colosseum - even with tickets it is a hassle. Had to trade tickets for underground at another place (what a waste of time

because the regular Colosseum tickets they emailed me). You have to have both tickets. I liked and didn't like the

Underground. While it was interesting, it went way too fast - but the view from the Third Ring - well, you just have

to be there, extrodinary.

Naples - took a ferry to Sorrento, stayed in Sorrento a little longer than necessary, you see 10-15 shops and they

just repeat. Food good, coffee super. Train station convenient, only 2 blocks away from main square. Campania

Express train (A/C and nice train) to Pompeii, then same train back from Pompeii to Naples, another taxi to

port.

Sorry I skipped around our ports cause they are not in order. We will never undertake an August cruise in Europe

again - way too many people and the heat awful, we were walking like snails just to make the effort.

I hope I didn't break any rules going off subject and putting in URL addresses.

Well, you did go off topic, but I'm the one who started the thread, and I have no problem with that! :D:D

I should have looked at a map and then I would have known how you knew it was busy in Vence. I'm a shopper, but I like some variety and local handcrafts are what I really love. I have art in every room of the house that was purchased in many cases directly from the artist. I love looking at it!

My concern about the tender in Cannes is that it's as you said the fourth stop for those who boarded in Barcelona (about 3,000 passengers!) but the second for those of us boarding in Rome! I'd be fine with getting off early so I'll have my fingers crossed. I'm planning to walk to the car rental--as I understand it, it's about 20 minutes and I think it should be fun to get my first taste of Cannes that way.

Thanks for sharing what you did in the ports. I have tentative plans for Mallorca, but will check out the link you provided. I have a tour booked for Livorno that includes the Accademia so I can finally see The David. I'm spending a week in Rome before the cruise and have all kinds of things planned, including early entry with a small group tour of the Sistine Chapel, etc., four food tours, Colliseum, and a day trip to the Amalfi Coast.I'm not going to Pompeii but instead have a tour booked to see some of the towns in the area with lots of free time to explore.

I'm hoping that a month from now it won't be as hot! I hate the heat, which is why I try not to travel too much in the summer months. Plus, it's less crowded to go in the fall. My kids are grown so I no longer have to concern myself with school schedules. :D

Thanks for sharing your journey. It sounds like you had a wonderful time!!

Quilting - you seem to have it all in order and it sounds wonderful!! Let me know how it all went. Would not worry too much

about the tender. I believe when we left they were calling it tender #6. It takes about 15 minutes to get to land. Have a great

and safe trip.

Quilting - you seem to have it all in order and it sounds wonderful!! Let me know how it all went. Would not worry too much

about the tender. I believe when we left they were calling it tender #6. It takes about 15 minutes to get to land. Have a great

and safe trip.

Thanks so much! Only 27 days until I'm on a plane!

of maybe 25 miles.

Welcome back. I am very glad it all worked out and that you and your family enjoyed it. You are now an expert Côte d'Azur driver and should start planing your next trip! :)

No, it will not be anywhere nearly as busy. hitherandyon was there at the absolute peak week of the summer season. But don't forget that this is a densely populated area and the traffic is always busy, just not as crazy as last week.