Is there anything I should book in advance for an upcoming MSC Divina cruise?

Stockjock

Taking a cruise on MSC Divina to the Mediterranean soon. Is there anything I should book in advance?

I have booked the tours, but that's about it (doing ship tours). Is the specialty restaurant package worth it? Can it be booked onboard at the same price?

I know there are some drink options, but I don't think I can book anything but the all-inclusive package online.

Let me know your views and if there's anything I'm missing here. I've been on most major cruiselines, but this will be my first experience on MSC, for better or worse (maybe worse, based on the reviews).

Edited by Stockjock

Taking a cruise on MSC Divina to the Mediterranean soon. Is there anything I should book in advance?

I have booked the tours, but that's about it (doing ship tours). Is the specialty restaurant package worth it? Can it be booked onboard at the same price?

I know there are some drink options, but I don't think I can book anything but the all-inclusive package online.

Let me know your views and if there's anything I'm missing here. I've been on most major cruiselines, but this will be my first experience on MSC, for better or worse (maybe worse, based on the reviews).

I wasn't aware you could prebook the speciality restaurant in advance, although you may Bea Le to book some packages but you don't make the actual reservations onboard.

The only things I usually prebook are the drinks a package Allegrissimo) because you save on paying the 15% charge compared to buying onboard and a spa package as I go more than once and they are a lot cheaper than buying individually onboard or at least they are when looking at those available via the UK.

On the other hand I'd never prebook tours, but then I rarely go on them anyway. In the past there have been a wider range to book onboard than there are in advance. Also be aware that, you may need a Plan B as they occasionally get cancelled because insufficient numbers of English speaking passengers book to meet the minimum numbers for the tour to operate and it doesn't matter how far you book in advance Thor that to happen. They will cancel at 24 hours or less notice as they will keep trying to sell onboard. Sometimes though what will happen and only if the guide is multi lingual, they will combine the tour with another language. Divina may be different if MSC have been successful in attracting more US passengers onboard. Just wanted to make you aware of that possibility though.

Guess it depends on what interests you and what is actually available to prebook on that cruise via the US site.

My personal opinion ... the specialty restaurants were not so special. We ate at eataly and there was no one there. I would also say that I am not certain I saw more than two tables there at any given time.

For the restaurants, I would personally choose to hold off until onboard if you desire to go to them. Other people may have had different experiences. Contrary to other cruises that I have been on, I ate most dinners in the buffet... which is not normal for the wife and I.

All of that being said, we had a great time, and the ship is beautiful. Have an awesome trip. Our blog (below) has a few pictures and a very short review that we wrote as an afterthought.

I'm just off the Fantasia. Chatting with my assigned hostess at the cocktail party, she particulalry recommended the Divina as having a great atmosphere and great crew morale. (I had read before travelling that the Fantasia crew morale was at a low - though I personally found all the staff great.) Am sure you will have a wonderful time.

As for drinks packages, I waited too late to order Allegrissimo on-line but it was being offered at check-in and every day on board. I took it at check-in and it was activated and ready for me when I boarded 10 minutes later.

I discovered there are quite a few drinks packages available which I didn't find on-line beforehand. They still do the bottled water oackages, the cocktail packages (which is what I used to buy before they brought in the all-inc), beer packages, a couple of different wine & water packages, coffee packages, soft drinks packages.

Hope this helps.

Edited by canny_cruiser

Just to add, the Allegrissimo price on-line was £154 for 7 days. The price at boarding was €209 including the 15%service charge. Using my Fairfx Anywhere card, I paid £151, so a slight saving. Your longer cruise would save more but depends on the exchange rate at the time and also your payment method and any charges it incurs.

Edited by canny_cruiser

Further to AmoMondo's post above, there were specials every day for the Spa last week.( I find this on all my MSC cruises.) I don't use the thermal spa or massages, only a facial treatment known as Q-frequency. I usually go for the 3 treatment package. Initially this is €299 + 15% service. I spoke to a gent at the Spa desk who reduced it to €183 including service by way of various "discounts" - note my inverted commas! However, by the end of the cruise they were advertising individual Q- frequency treatements at €50 + the 15% charge.

I've also had a cruise where they did the treatment for free if I bought "product" to the value.

I am not complaing about this because even at their starting price of €299 for 3, it is cheaper than I can get the same treatment at home and, here, each treatment involves a 70-mile round trip to get to the salon.

The Spa was never busy any time I went for my treatments so I think it is a buyer's market, if you know what I mean.

Just things to be aware of, given you will be an MSC "virgin".

Edited by canny_cruiser