Harwich Cruises 2015

How sad to see that Harwich cruise departures for 2015 shows only 11. Compare this to the 31 this year and you can see the huge difference that Thomson's non Ex-Uk has made to this port. Nearly all the harwich departures are with a Royal Caribbean and mostly to Russia.

Of course these are early days and maybe more cruises will be added later from other companies.

Info here;

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-from-harwich-england.html

Yes, a bit disgusted with Thomson over lack of UK departures next year. Being from Liverpool, have been desperate to sail into and from there. Couldn't do this years dates so was hoping for next year. But, lo and behold, no departures at all. Never mind, have yesterday been forced to book QM2 for their 3 ship anniversary meet up in Liverpool in May 2015. Would have happily gone with Thomson but I suppose its a bit of a compensation.

Sandie

I am so glad to be going to the Fjords this year then.

There's always Fred Olsen. Think they may be busy next year with Thomson cruisers.

They go from local ports too! They have 2 in Scotland, Rosyth about 20 minutes from us and Greenock under an hour.

Being in Scotland I am pleased that Thomson do not sail from the UK. Its just as convenient for us to fly to Europe as it is to fly down to Southampton, Harwich etc. That way we are leaving from a warm country with one day less at sea. The cost is possibly the same too.

Being in Scotland I am pleased that Thomson do not sail from the UK. Its just as convenient for us to fly to Europe as it is to fly down to Southampton, Harwich etc. That way we are leaving from a warm country with one day less at sea. The cost is possibly the same too.

I think you've misunderstood Langtoncouple. We are talking about sailings North to the Fjords, North Cape, Iceland, round the British Isles and the Baltic. Having been to many of the Med ports etc we are now looking to sail North and are disappointed that Thomson won't be sailing to these places next year. We will have no alternative but to go with other cruise lines.

I am so glad to be going to the Fjords this year then.

There's always Fred Olsen. Think they may be busy next year with Thomson cruisers.

They go from local ports too! They have 2 in Scotland, Rosyth about 20 minutes from us and Greenock under an hour.

Likewise Little Nell. A bit disappointed, would liked to have done the Fire & Ice cruise with Thomson.It looks like we will have to go with Fred Olsen from Rosyth next year.On the plus side, there have been quite a few good deals lately, buy one get one half price on some cruises out of Rosyth or Leith to the Fjords and Baltics:eek:.Dont think we will get these offers next year.

Likewise Little Nell. A bit disappointed, would liked to have done the Fire & Ice cruise with Thomson.It looks like we will have to go with Fred Olsen from Rosyth next year.On the plus side, there have been quite a few good deals lately, buy one get one half price on some cruises out of Rosyth or Leith to the Fjords and Baltics:eek:.Dont think we will get these offers next year.

My thoughts exactly, christad4. There probably won't be many bargains next year. Might pay to do an early booking ;)

On another note, this week our local TV news carried an item on how Liverpool have won their right to expand as a cruise ship departure port and how Southampton has lost out on that basis (not that there's a lack of ships coming into Southampton!). Might be helpful for some people in the NW depending on which cruise lines decide to sail out of Liverpool. And of course it will depend on the itineraries on offer too. They were suggesting cruises going over to NY with stops in Eire would be likely.

But as Little Nell pointed out a lot of the ex-UK sailings for Scandinavia leave from the east coast which is clearly the better option for Norway and Baltics itineraries. Celebrity are sailing out of Harwich doing Iceland, Baltics and Fjords - sadly Thomson won't be next year so for those keen to visit those areas, it will have to be with someone other than Thomson.

With the problems doing Ukraine and Egypt itineraries, and the cheap fares that are being offered at the moment for next summer (most of Celebration's itineraries are around the £1,600 mark for two, much cheaper than usual) the itineraries around the Eastern Med are going to have to change quite a bit in terms of demand. Kind of making more sense to do ex-UK itineraries to me. Seems to be the wrong time to place three ships in the Eastern Med.

With the problems doing Ukraine and Egypt itineraries, and the cheap fares that are being offered at the moment for next summer (most of Celebration's itineraries are around the £1,600 mark for two, much cheaper than usual) the itineraries around the Eastern Med are going to have to change quite a bit in terms of demand. Kind of making more sense to do ex-UK itineraries to me. Seems to be the wrong time to place three ships in the Eastern Med.

That's what I said.;):)

• 4 weeks later...
Good to see that Holland American line have now posted many cruises from Harwich for 2015. Feels the gap left by Thomson pulling their Ex-UK cruises.

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-from-harwich-england.html

That's good news - also spotted some RCI ones too. Harwich is a good port to sail out of we think - easy to park, good departure facilities and train service and even a Morrison's for last minute items - and breakfast (we are amongst those who have to arrive ridiculously early!!) ;) :D

I hope they rerun to UK sailings within a year or two. Those cruises always seemed to hold their value as far as Thomson was concerned, I am not aware of last minute bargains. Certainly feel we missed out on Fire and Ice, would have done it this year if it had been in school holidays

Sweby

• 1 year later...

why oh why have celebrity RCI and the other companys ignored harwich as a departure port 2016 even southampton is getting less visits do these companies not think people will go elsewhere to other cruiselines ? what about us folk who have had enough of airports and luggage allowances etc etc one reason we took to cruising was the joy of arriving by land with every outfit the wife owns ! and shoes to match lol please please more uk departures and more varied itineries !

I was told that Thomsons pulled out of Newcastle because of increasing port fees, not sure how true that is.

Might be a factor in not sailing from Harwich ?

Newcastle suited us fine - Rosyth is just "up the road" from here, and Greenock is only an easy hour away.

I was told that Thomsons pulled out of Newcastle because of increasing port fees, not sure how true that is.

Might be a factor in not sailing from Harwich ?

Newcastle suited us fine - Rosyth is just "up the road" from here, and Greenock is only an easy hour away.

I think it was more to do with emissions etc & 'cleaner engines' for the reason Thomson pulled out of the UK due to the huge cost of having the engines changed - we sail with Brittany Ferries to France & they are having to do the same to all their fleet.

I think it was more to do with emissions etc & 'cleaner engines' for the reason Thomson pulled out of the UK due to the huge cost of having the engines changed - we sail with Brittany Ferries to France & they are having to do the same to all their fleet.

Thanks for that - makes sense.

Thanks for that - makes sense.

Not really, you dont change engines in ships like that, they are usually there for the life of the ship, still loads and loads of them Sulzer two strokes in service worldwide, they were the backbone of the merchant fleet and were designed to run on cheap high viscosity bottom of the barrel fuel oil, the only fuel that was once cheaper than crude oil itself.

They can run on expensive low viscosity low sulphur diesel fuels as well but not as well as modern four stroke engines, Thomsons made their decision to pull out of UK before the massive drop in fuel prices which no one predicted, things may have been different with hindsight as technically all their ships could still work out of UK.