Squeezing Things In While In Kauai ... HELP! NCL/POA

ajtraveler66

We have committed ourselves to Captain Andy's Dinner Cruise (Star). We need to be there by 3:00 in the afternoon. This will be on Day 1, and we are on our own. This is not through the ship.

The POA docks at 10:00. We will rent a car, realizing that we need to be at the dinner cruise @ 3:00.

Sadly I see that the ship leaves Nawiliwili @ 2.p.m. on the second day. So we must be back on the boat by noon. [Will want to sleep on the boat thoughout our stay].

We would like to see the Canyon. We would also like to go to Princeville and spend some time there.

Suggestions on how we can do all of this. That 2pm departure really does limit things for Day 2. Was not aware of this until today.

What about parking near the port?

Have we messed things up by doing the dinner cruise?

Just get out early on Day 2 to Waimea Canyon. Be on the road by 7am. You won't have any spare time, but with turning in the car and getting to the ship, you should be OK. The total driving time from ship, to the top of the Canyon- non-stop- is probably 90 minutes, give or take. So that gives you time for stops. Probably not much hiking or walking around.

We stayed just north of Lihue last year. We left our hotel about 8am, and were back in the hotel around 2:30. That included lunch, gas, and some touring in Poipu, as well as a little shopping. You are a little closer at the ship.

You need to be back on the ship by 1:30, not 12.

Just get out early on Day 2 to Waimea Canyon. Be on the road by 7am. You won't have any spare time, but with turning in the car and getting to the ship, you should be OK. The total driving time from ship, to the top of the Canyon- non-stop- is probably 90 minutes, give or take. So that gives you time for stops. Probably not much hiking or walking around.

We stayed just north of Lihue last year. We left our hotel about 8am, and were back in the hotel around 2:30. That included lunch, gas, and some touring in Poipu, as well as a little shopping. You are a little closer at the ship.

You need to be back on the ship by 1:30, not 12.

1:30....That will help. I guess the 2 hour thing is for leaving the boat after it docks (appx).

1:30....That will help. I guess the 2 hour thing is for leaving the boat after it docks (appx).

The "2 hour thing" is for the start of your cruise- the first time you board. You need to be on board early for the life boat drill, etc. Otherwise, every cruise line I am aware of requires you be on board at a standard port stop during the cruise 30 minutes prior to sailing.

You can leave the ship right up to a few minutes prior to the all aboard time- again, typically 30 minutes prior to the scheduled sailing. You just need to be back on by the all aboard time.

We have committed ourselves to Captain Andy's Dinner Cruise (Star). We need to be there by 3:00 in the afternoon. This will be on Day 1, and we are on our own. This is not through the ship.

The POA docks at 10:00. We will rent a car, realizing that we need to be at the dinner cruise @ 3:00.

Sadly I see that the ship leaves Nawiliwili @ 2.p.m. on the second day. So we must be back on the boat by noon. [Will want to sleep on the boat thoughout our stay].

We would like to see the Canyon. We would also like to go to Princeville and spend some time there.

Suggestions on how we can do all of this. That 2pm departure really does limit things for Day 2. Was not aware of this until today.

What about parking near the port?

Have we messed things up by doing the dinner cruise?

You said you wanted to spend some time in the Princeville area. Doesn't Captain Andy cruise leave from that area and sail along the Na Pali coast? Should be easy enough to spend some time exploring the North coast area before the dinner cruise, although you might consider rebooking to one of the BBQ snorkel or other in an earlier time slot.

The reason the ship leaves at 2:00 is because it heads to the North Coast for a sail along that same Na Pali coast before sunset. But you will get a much closer view from your excursion.

I'd keep the car overnight in order to get an early start the next morning. There is overnight parking in the shopping area about two blocks from the ship. Use the search function to find the threads and posts re overnight parking Kauai.

Actually our dinner cruise is the Captain Andy's Star ... and the webpage says it says it departs from Port Allen .... by the map this is in the southern part of the island.

Sorry, I had forgotten some of those tours for Na Pali leave from the south. Actually we have done one from that area but it was many years ago. If I had to choose, I'd take one which leaves from the north in the Princeville area. That would be in closer proximity to Na Pali and take in the best part of the coastline.

If you don't find anything which leaves from the Princeville area, I'd switch to the earliest possible tour on Day one and then take in the canyon after. You could finish the day with a sunset dinner or drinks and appetizers at any of the oceanfront restaurants in the Poipu area which are famous for their sunsets.

Or, do an early tour and then head for a look around Hanalie and Princeville where you could have dinner at the end of the day, saving the Canyon for early on day 2.