Maui help

sassygurl

Day one in Maui will be road to Hana, 8am port so late start. reading the threads there won't be time for sunset on Haleakala:(. So with this in mind for our second day it is a toss up of going to the top of Haleakala or driving(rental car) to waihee trail and Kapalua bay and Ian needle. Would there be time to do these and the crater?

Day one in Maui will be road to Hana, 8am port so late start. reading the threads there won't be time for sunset on Haleakala:(. So with this in mind for our second day it is a toss up of going to the top of Haleakala or driving(rental car) to waihee trail and Kapalua bay and Ian needle. Would there be time to do these and the crater?

Haleakala, Waihee and Kapalua are in three different directions from the POA. If you drive to the summit of Haleakala and back, figure on five hours or so for that alone. Driving to Kapalua and back will take about an hour each way from the ship what with Monday traffic. Do check on Waihee and Iao Valley to find our what parts are open or closed. Don't forget to allow enough time to return the car and get a shuttle back to the ship at the recommended time before the ship's departure. Doing all of the above in the time you have unfortunately isn't going to work.

• 3 months later...

So we have decided to head to North Maui on our second day heading all the way to Nakele Blow Hole then to Kapalua. Can anyone reccomend any other stops on our way back to the POA.

Maybe IOA Needle if opened by 9/11/17

So we have decided to head to North Maui on our second day heading all the way to Nakele Blow Hole then to Kapalua. Can anyone reccomend any other stops on our way back to the POA.

Maybe IOA Needle if opened by 9/11/17

If you intend on going to the Nakalele Blow Hole and then on to Kapalua, that would mean you figure on driving "Highway" 340 (Kahekili "Highway"). If you are not familiar with it, google the reports about its dangers. A "Highway" it certainly is not. If you want to go to the Blow Hole, take Highway 30. Also use caution and good shoes around the Blow Hole area. Not to sound negative - just being truthful. Save some time to explore Lahaina and maybe have lunch there or at Ka'anapali Beach.

Oh we would definitely take hwy30. My husband wants to stop at the Kapalua golf course. I was thinking of stopping at Napili beach or DT Flemming Beach Park. I think we might head to Lahaina but am nervous about the parking.

Oh we would definitely take hwy30. My husband wants to stop at the Kapalua golf course. I was thinking of stopping at Napili beach or DT Flemming Beach Park. I think we might head to Lahaina but am nervous about the parking.

Why don't you try Kapalua Bay instead? Dr. Beach rated it the #2 beach in at least the whole U.S. for 2017.

It appears that you're going on 9/11/17 which as you can read the road is closed in Kahakuloa until February 2018 Monday to Friday between 8 AM & 5 PM. So you won't be able to drive Kahekili between Wailuku & Kapalua due to scheduled road construction closing the road in Kahakuloa.

But I'ao Valley is currently scheduled to reopen in August.

For anyone considering the Kahekili road around north Maui here's information about road closures due to necessary roadwork.

http://mauinow.com/2017/06/15/kahekili-highway-road-stabilization-begins-july-10/

Kahekili Highway Road Stabilization Begins July 10

A roadway stabilization project will be conducted on the Kahekili Highway in Kahakuloa next month. The $3.7 million project will address deteriorating conditions and will take place between miles 15 and 16 of the highway along a narrow portion of road.

Public Works Director David Goode acknowledged the inconvenience, but noted the road will continue to deteriorate until it is unpassable if not addressed.

Summer was chosen as the best time to begin the project because of better weather, longer daylight and no school traffic.

Work is scheduled for July 10th through February 2018, however county officials say the project could be completed as soon as the end of this year.

Residential and tourist traffic will still be able to reach Kahakuloa from the Wailuku side of the highway, or before and after construction start/end times from the Lahaina side.

The work is scheduled to take place from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding weekends and county holidays – weather permitting.

Advisory signs warning motorists about the road closure ahead will be placed on both sides of the highway, in Kapalua on the Lahaina side of the project.

Discussions with the community about the condition of the road, necessary repairs and road closure have been ongoing since 2012, with the most recent community meeting taking place on May 11, 2017.

The work contract was awarded to Kiewit Infrastructure West Co.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We will check out Kapalua Bay for sure. We are from Sarasota FL where Siesta Key has been named #1 also:cool: Why would they close the road at Kapalua when the work is miles from there/or can we still get to the Nakele Blowhole?

We will check out Kapalua Bay for sure. We are from Sarasota FL where Siesta Key has been named #1 also:cool: Why would they close the road at Kapalua when the work is miles from there/or can we still get to the Nakele Blowhole?

The road construction apparently is west of Kahakuloa so it's not possible to drive the complete northern route between Wailuku & Kapalua.

You can drive on Honoapiilani from Central & South Maui to West Maui (Kapalua/Lahaina) most of the way to Kahakuloa. So you can still drive to Nakalele but not completely around the northern end.

A word of caution at Nakalele, the glass on the parking area's ground is a result of some visitors who leave valuables in plain site. That can happen anywhere but is more common at more isolated locations frequented by visitors & the crooks know there are many valuables to steal. The last time there a couple was hysterical because not only were their valuables stolen but also their passports they needed to get home. :(