Excursion in Alaska

5waldos

Just discovered that Island Wings in Ketchican, a float plan excursion, does its best to accomodate mobility impaired folks. This is not mentioned anyplace, and we just took a chance and called. I have done the trip and it was great and am very pleased that my friend will be able to experience it. So if in doubt about an excursion- try calling them and talking to them directly- you may be pleasantly surprised.

Hi there

No matter where you are headed, calling and asking in advance is your best resource.

While we were in Alaska, we found it very easy and convenient to head out and explore with just a car rental. My wife uses a wheelchair, but a scooter could have been transported as well. You don't always have to rely on ship or other organized tours, if you take the time to research your interests at each of your port of calls.

hope this helps

SOME scooters can be transported in regular rental cars. Not all. For that matter, fitting even a manual wheelchair into some cars would be ... interesting. We plan to rent a car in Juneau to transport my folding scooter and I reserved a large car rather than the cheapest. If we had planned to take my wc, I would probably have insisted on a hatchback or minivan.

Have now spoke directly with a number of excursion providers who do not advertise as being accessible on the ship's tour lists. It is heartening to learn how many of them can accommodate the mobility impaired- ramps and handrails and lots of strong men around. Absolutely worth calling if you are interested in a tour.