Can I place a luggage tag on collapsible walker?

bug42362

I am taking my 27 year old son on his first cruise since becoming disabled. He is blind now and will be in a wheelchair a lot of the time. He can't stay on his feet for long durations due to his left foot being locked in awkward position. Also his balance isn't great at this time. My question is he would like to bring his walker do you think I could place a luggage tag and they will deliver it to the room with our luggage?

I would not give something breakable that your son would need to the luggage porters. I suggest you contact the Special Needs department of your cruise line. They will provide you with the proper instructions as to how to get the walker safely on board and to your cabin.

I am taking my 27 year old son on his first cruise since becoming disabled. He is blind now and will be in a wheelchair a lot of the time. He can't stay on his feet for long durations due to his left foot being locked in awkward position. Also his balance isn't great at this time. My question is he would like to bring his walker do you think I could place a luggage tag and they will deliver it to the room with our luggage?

We just came off of the Carnival Pride. I bring my own mobility scooter, and a walker, so I can try to get some exercise on the ship. I board the ship with the scooter, and we tagged the walker and gave it to the porters. This was the 2nd time I did it, and I had no problem. I also put some surgical tape on the inside of the walker with my last name. I was more concerned about the handling of the walker since of course it's not as sturdy as luggage that the porters handle. I don't think if we were departing from a larger port like NY, Miami, etc. I would do it, but in Baltimore, a shuttle drops you off, your luggage is loaded by the porter onto the little trucks or whatever you call them, and everyone can see their luggage as the porter places it there. The walker showed up at our cabin the same time as the rest of our luggage both times.

I was skeptical, but it worked for me. If you don't feel comfortable, I wouldn't do it. I also have access to an extra walker if something were to happen.

I placed a luggage tag on my manual wheelchair for a recent flight just fine. I also don't see a folding walker as particularly easy to break or needing careful treatment. I would probably bungee or tape it flat, just to make it easier to handle and harder to break, but wouldn't worry about it. However, only you can decide what your comfort level is. If you would worry about it, you might talk to the rental agencies and see if you could rent a walker for the cruise.

In my last two cruises, I have always checked my rollator on the airplane baggage check-in (wheelchair from there to the plane) and the rollator gets unloaded to the ship's baggage people and I get wheelchaired on board the ship while my baggage and rollator gets taken directly to the cabin. Newedless to add, I have a luggage tag on the rollator.

Long story to answer your question BUT your walker takes less space than a rollator.

Answer is "YES".

It all depends on the line and the port.

In my experience, flights seem to handle mobility equipment well so long as you make arrangements in advance and preferably, you organise to surrender items at the air bridge rather than at check in. No doubt, others will have had horror experiences as contrast.

But I'm reluctant to give anything fragile to shore side check in. First time out, I got the (very expensive) spare wheels for my chair mashed after being piled under luggage bags. Another cruise, a spare pair of crutches which were cable tied together got damaged beyond repair. On both occasions, the items were marked up as fragile but it made no difference.

Given the option, I'd check in the hand baggage, push the chair and hook the walker on my shoulder but I appreciate this may not be an option for you in your own circumstances.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo