Melbourne's 4 seasons in a day to welcome Encore

SKP946

Melbourne welcomed Encore at 7 am with a mild sunny morning and an air temperature of 20c (68f) rising to 31c (87f) mid-afternoon.

However around 6pm as Encore was departing Port Melbourne a cool southerly wind change came in with winds gusting to 55 kmph (30 knots) and heavy rain dropping the temperature to 20c in a matter of minutes

I intended to take photos of her as she sailed past Brighton at 6 am, but it was too dark (sunrise wasn't until 6.38 am with daylight saving) and this evening it was bucketing down.

What intrigued me was the 360 (full circle) she did as she sailed down Port Phillip (off Black Rock) can anyone enlighten me on this please

I noticed that too. Went to watch her sail past Black Rock but saw on web that she'd spun around. Visibility was so bad I couldn't see much from my house anyway. Melbourne weather, gotta love it. Yesterday (Sat) when Encore was at Phillip Island was just about perfect.

Sorry I missed a glimpse of Encore in our Bay, maybe next time.

We love our weather, as crazy it is. We do have relief and can cool off after a hot day.

I hope the guests on Encore enjoyed our beautiful city. Our daughter said she saw guests strolling in Port Melbourne. Yes that calico bag is handy:)

We are on the Encore and were informed that they were checking the compass calibration or something like that. I don't remember the exact terminology. Really enjoying the trip!

Thank you Dbqsmitty for the edification on Encore's 360 degree in Port Phillip.

My first thoughts were that you had a person overboard, or you had hit a fishing boat, as Port Phillip is mostly a narrow channel for shipping and there is little room to maneuver.

I'm pleased that you are enjoying the trip😀

Cruise ship collides with vessel after breaking moorings in high wind

LIAM CAVANAGH AND GRANT SHIMMIN - 17:04, February 12 2017

It is understood the cruise ship's anchor has been lowered after the ship's moorings broke on Sunday afternoon. - LIAM CAVANAGH/FAIRFAX NZ

Advertisement

A brand new cruise ship berthed at the Port of Timaru broke its moorings and collided with another vessel on Sunday afternoon.

People nearby, including passengers, lined up along the port to watch as the ship drifted and collided with a vessel believed to be the cement carrier Milburn Carrier II.

A witness, who did not want to be named, said it sounded like gunshots when the moorings "snapped".

LIAM CAVANAGH/FAIRFAX NZ

Port crew walking where the ship had been moored on Sunday morning.

Passengers returning to the ship from a day ashore in South Canterbury were taken by bus to an unknown location as the emergency unfolded.

The Seabourn Encore, launched in January, arrived in Timaru early on Sunday morning.

A witness, Mac Mackintosh, said he and his wife were observing the ship from a distance when the incident occurred.

LIAM CAVANAGH/FAIRFAX NZ

People, including passengers, watch as the Seabourn Encore sits on an angle at Timaru's port.

"We were passing by, looking at the stern, when a southerly came up.

"I said to my wife, that mooring line's not set right for this kind of wind."

Mackintosh said as the wind strengthened, the ship drifted away from the wharf, with up to four of its mooring lines breaking.

LIAM CAVANAGH/FAIRFAX NZ

The ship drifted and collided with the Milburn Carrier II.

It collided with another vessel, berthed near a dome owned by cement company Holcim.

No information on possible injuries or damage was immediately available.

TETSURO MITOMO/FAIRFAX NZ

Passengers coming off the cruise ship on Sunday morning.

Mac Mackintosh

The cruise ship Seabourn Encore broke its moorings and collided with another vessel in the Port of Timaru on Sunday.

Mac Mackintosh

The cruise ship Seabourn Encore drifting after some of its mooring ropes broke in high winds on Sunday.

Stuff

MORE FROM STUFF

WorkSafe lays charges over death of Pleasant Point toddler Felyx Hatherleytimaru herald

Systems outage affects Jetstar check-ins nationwidetravel

Jason Derulo 'kicked off flight', accuses American Airlines of racial discriminationtravel

World famous in New Zealand: Zealandia wildlife reservetravel

Pamela Anderson stars in raunchy new lingerie campaignlife style

PROMOTED STORIES

How To Get A Flat Belly After 40max workouts

17 Strangers in One Bondi Apartment Block Took a DNA Test: Their Suprising Resultsancestry

Christchurch Hotels from $109 per night - trivago finds you the best price. Compare & search now!trivago

Looking for Accommodation in Rotorua? Search, compare and save up to 37% to find your ideal hotel!trivago

Blogging- it’s not just for fashion writers, or foodies!yellow business blog

Next Story: NZ's unlikeliest CEO?

Sent from my iPad using Forums