FJords excursions...

Sunnybeam

We are off on our 10th cruise on 29th July, our first to the Norwegian FJords, we're over faced with the list of excursions, we've booked the train trip in Flaam, highly recommended, our ports are flaam, Stavanger, Olden and Haugesund.

Any more suggestions for trips that are a must please?

We're on Arcadia again going to Norway on the 2nd July. She is also taking in Haugesund, Olden, Flaam and Stavanger.

We've been to all of them, except Haugesund. I think this year may be the first time that P&O have been to this port so not sure anyone will be able to help with that one, but I may well be wrong.

We've been on a trip back in 2003 in Flaam that went to a beautiful waterfall so can recommend that, but we have booked the train trip as well, mainly because we are going with the MIL and it's an easier trip for her.

We did our own thing in Olden and can recommend the small train on the dockside that takes you round the lake and back, but I'm sure that there will be loads of recommendations for the various trips to glaciers from others.

When we were in Stavanger in 2003 we went on the boat trip to Lysefjord that takes in Pulpit Rock. We very much enjoyed it and are doing it again with MIL - again it's easier for her. We weren't that impressed with Stavanger itself, but we had iffy weather and it was a while ago and they didn't get as many cruise ships back then so it has probably improved a lot.

You will love Norway. Just make sure you get up early enough to see your entrance in to places. Olden and Flaam are especially lovely.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

Can also recommend the little train trip at Olden (tiny village..little to see, but gorgeous views)

If children with you Stavanger has a wonderful playground, created from remnants of oil pipes, barrels etc. Really cool and spent ages there. Walked there around harbour, plenty to catch the eye.

In Flaam, we love the little church which has been converted to a real-ale style pub/bar. Totally unique and can taste the beer selections (then stagger the few steps back onboard)

In Stavanger - walk around the harbour and up to the church and on to and around the lake - and explore the back streets at the other side of the harbour to where the ship docks. We missed all this on our first visit. You can walk up to a kind of a keep/tower with nice views over the town and to the ship. :)

Stavanger - Ship docks near some pretty houses. We always walk around the harbour and town. There are various museums petroleum, maritime and herring canning.

Flam - Very touristy. We did the Flam railway and cycle ride. Passengers seem to like the Norway in a Nutshell tour which I think includes the Flam railway plus more. There is also a small Flam railway museum. Flam is one of my favourite cruise ports.

Olden - Ship docks outside village near busy road, few shops and patrol station. We walked in to the village and up the valley to a lovely church. Far nicer than the dock area. The main excursion is to the Briskdale glacier. I did that twenty years back so will not comment. I think some sort of cable car has opened in the last month? Not sure where it goes though.

Haugesund. Ship docked on an Island. Quite a walk to town over a bridge. A shuttle bus is available. There is nothing wrong with Haugesund but it does not have much for visitors. Personally I was not impressed and would have preferred Bergen as a port. To me a bit of a wasted day. Perhaps I should have taken an excursion out of the town.

I will say the sailing in and out of the ports is lovely. Olsen and Flam have several hours of scenic cruising through the Fjords. To me a real highlight.

On Aurora I found the port talks very useful in terms of places to go independently. Some tours were fully booked before the ship departed.

Hope that helps, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by stephen@stoneyard.co.uk