Questions about Thenford's tour/Currency in St Kitts

baloneymander

Hey everyone!

So I am still a bit new to the forums here (also a first time cruiser), but was hoping someone here may be able to help. I have booked a tour with Thenford Grey on our upcoming cruise in November after reading all the positive reviews here and on TA. I was wondering if there was a stop on the tour for lunch or if we should bring snacks with us?

Also I know he needs to be paid in cash, but I was wondering if the rest of the vendors need cash as well, or if credit cards will be accepted? I am also assuming US dollars will work, correct? I am trying to plan on how much cash to have on hand vs. credit card for purchases like food, chair rentals for the beach, general shopping, etc. DH has mentioned wanting to buy a few things while there as his grandmother was actually born in St. Kitts so I want to make sure we have enough cash on hand if needed, or if credit cards will be acceptable.

I appreciate your help!!

Mr. Grey will answer all your questions about your tour with him. Just email him.

No, lunch is not provided and only water (I've done the tour twice) when I went with him.

I'm not a shopper, and tend to take only the cash with me that I think I'll need (to pay for the tour and tip, buy a beer during a stop, etc). But I always take a credit card, too, just in case.

You'll stop at the Batik factory and may want to buy there. The little vendors where you may stop will take USD, but the Batik factory and the bar/restaurant at the beach (whichever) will take credit.

Again, ask him. He'll give you advise.

Hey everyone!

So I am still a bit new to the forums here (also a first time cruiser), but was hoping someone here may be able to help. I have booked a tour with Thenford Grey on our upcoming cruise in November after reading all the positive reviews here and on TA. I was wondering if there was a stop on the tour for lunch or if we should bring snacks with us?

Also I know he needs to be paid in cash, but I was wondering if the rest of the vendors need cash as well, or if credit cards will be accepted? I am also assuming US dollars will work, correct? I am trying to plan on how much cash to have on hand vs. credit card for purchases like food, chair rentals for the beach, general shopping, etc. DH has mentioned wanting to buy a few things while there as his grandmother was actually born in St. Kitts so I want to make sure we have enough cash on hand if needed, or if credit cards will be acceptable.

I appreciate your help!!

Personally I never make any purchases on the islands with a credit card. One there is the transaction fees that most card attach to the transaction. Secondly many times your card will be flagged for fraud (I've even had it happen when I told them I was going there). Thirdly is many people have reported back that they were victims of fraudulent charges after using their card on an island.

If you know you are going to make a some purchases, I would suggest making sure you take enough cash, and then some to cover it.

Personally I never make any purchases on the islands with a credit card. One there is the transaction fees that most card attach to the transaction. Secondly many times your card will be flagged for fraud (I've even had it happen when I told them I was going there). Thirdly is many people have reported back that they were victims of fraudulent charges after using their card on an island.

If you know you are going to make a some purchases, I would suggest making sure you take enough cash, and then some to cover it.

Good idea. I use caution when using my credit card abroad.