Cruise Newbies - QM2 - Transatlantic to NY

Welsh Advocate

I don't think the lectures during our trip are particularly appealing to me I'm sad to say.

Admiral Lord West

Roy Hunt

Brian Hawley

Donald Kurtz

I was hoping for something more exciting

You can usually watch them on the TV later the same day. You could do that with the first one and see if you want to go to the rest.

I don't think the lectures during our trip are particularly appealing to me I'm sad to say.

Admiral Lord West

Roy Hunt

Brian Hawley

Donald Kurtz

I was hoping for something more exciting

You never know, Welch Advocate---lecturers seem to include fun gossipy stories. I'm sure an admiral will have many to share.

I cut/pasted this from earlier board:

Yes, Roy Hunt is a very popular musical historian who gives interesting and informative lectures on the great song-writers of yesteryear. He has often been featured on QM2 and several other of the top cruise lines. We met him last year on two transatlantic voyages. If you are interested in the life stories of the great song-writers and musical personalities of the past then you will enjoy his lectures.

Roy Hunt also plays the ukulele and often accompanies the songs in this fashion, encouraging the audience to join in. Occasionally he can be found in other parts of the ship and the enclosed photo shows Roy and Russell Holmes (long-standing QM2 cocktail-pianist) getting together to entertain in the Chart Room.

Sounds like Donald Kurtz is an astrophysicist and very experienced speaker. Believe me: he will make his lectures interesting, not dry. Cunard only invites lecturers to return if they are well-received.

It IS fun to recognize a speaker in advance, but we have been delighted by lecturers not known to us.

Please, do let us know what you think, after your voyage.

Jimmybean

I've already responded in the other thread but I didn't mention Roy Hunt. He was on our first QM2 cruise. I remember seeing him in the checkin line ahead of us because I thought it was interesting that someone would bring a banjo along on a closed-loop cruise (not knowing yet that he had a reason to).

EmmyG, would you mind giving providing some examples of the film titles that were recently offered on board the QM2? I'm interested in the films offered in the staterooms and anywhere else.

My husband and I are doing a round-trip transatlantic crossing, Oct. 11-29. Ports are NYC, Southampton, Hamburg, Southampton, NYC. So we'll have 18 days to fill-up, with only three excursions.

We're 40 and have never been on the QM2. We've never been on any cruise. We'd originally planned a London/Paris vacation for October, but I have a genetic condition that makes it hard for me to walk (and it's only getting harder). My doctor doesn't think I should fly, so we swapped-out our plans at short notice and booked this itinerary.

Honestly, when I think "cruise," I think cheesy "Love Boat" stuff, with tacky production shows, cheeky bartenders named Issac, and people parading around in Bermuda shorts and straw hats. So from the outside, the activities and formal tone of the QM2 seem WAY more our speed. (I mean, the first thing I did after I booked the trip was purchase a Titanic-style Victorian gown!)

But reading these forums recently, I'm starting to get concerned that we're going to be bored. For one thing, it is a very long trip for inexperienced ocean travelers (I am gearing up for a big surgery, but if that doesn't go as planned, traveling might be even harder for me in the future, so that's why we went for broke with this trip). Plus, the news that disembarkation at Hamburg has changed might have rendered the excursion we booked there impossible (it already looked like a tricky disembarkation in respect to accessibility).

Since walking is tough for me right now, I have to travel with a scooter. Combined with late booking, it meant we settled for an accessible room with no balcony. In fact, I wanted the semi-private dining options that come with the club rooms, but I was steered back to an accessible oceanview room. I'm OK with that, but it limits our ability to take in the scenery.

My husband and I love arts and science-y things, and we're hoping against hope we'll have plenty to keep us occupied with a planetarium (YES!), guest speakers, live music, soothing harps, a library, etc. But I'm starting to get concerned that all the meatier ship activities will be booked-up, or that we'll be fighting for tickets to see things. If I don't even have movies to fall back on, I might go mad at sea.

Obviously, dancing is not in the cards for me.

Julian Lloyd Webber is the big name attached to our trip. So far, all but one of the "Insights" speakers are people we'd probably enjoy hearing.

The clips I've seen of the shows on board are all fare I wouldn't care for... all I'm seeing online are "jukebox" dance-medley things. I'm hoping there's more variety than... variety shows.

Should I plan on packing a portable DVD player with "Poseidon Adventure"?

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds!

EmmyG, would you mind giving providing some examples of the film titles that were recently offered on board the QM2? I'm interested in the films offered in the staterooms and anywhere else.

My husband and I are doing a round-trip transatlantic crossing, Oct. 11-29. Ports are NYC, Southampton, Hamburg, Southampton, NYC. So we'll have 18 days to fill-up, with only three excursions.

We're 40 and have never been on the QM2. We've never been on any cruise. We'd originally planned a London/Paris vacation for October, but I have a genetic condition that makes it hard for me to walk (and it's only getting harder). My doctor doesn't think I should fly, so we swapped-out our plans at short notice and booked this itinerary.

Honestly, when I think "cruise," I think cheesy "Love Boat" stuff, with tacky production shows, cheeky bartenders named Issac, and people parading around in Bermuda shorts and straw hats. So from the outside, the activities and formal tone of the QM2 seem WAY more our speed. (I mean, the first thing I did after I booked the trip was purchase a Titanic-style Victorian gown!)

But reading these forums recently, I'm starting to get concerned that we're going to be bored. For one thing, it is a very long trip for inexperienced ocean travelers (I am gearing up for a big surgery, but if that doesn't go as planned, traveling might be even harder for me in the future, so that's why we went for broke with this trip). Plus, the news that disembarkation at Hamburg has changed might have rendered the excursion we booked there impossible (it already looked like a tricky disembarkation in respect to accessibility).

Since walking is tough for me right now, I have to travel with a scooter. Combined with late booking, it meant we settled for an accessible room with no balcony. In fact, I wanted the semi-private dining options that come with the club rooms, but I was steered back to an accessible oceanview room. I'm OK with that, but it limits our ability to take in the scenery.

My husband and I love arts and science-y things, and we're hoping against hope we'll have plenty to keep us occupied with a planetarium (YES!), guest speakers, live music, soothing harps, a library, etc. But I'm starting to get concerned that all the meatier ship activities will be booked-up, or that we'll be fighting for tickets to see things. If I don't even have movies to fall back on, I might go mad at sea.

Julian Lloyd Webber is the big name attached to our trip. So far, all but one of the "Insights" speakers are people we'd probably enjoy hearing.

The clips I've seen of the shows on board are all fare I wouldn't care for... all I'm seeing online are "jukebox" dance-medley things. I'm hoping there's more variety than... variety shows.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to Queen Mary 2! I'm sorry that your walking difficulties forced you to cancel your trip to London and Paris, but I trust that you'll have a wonderful transatlantic holiday.

Like you, we're not terribly fond of variety shows, and after eight crossings we've found those on Queen Mary 2 very long in the tooth. It's also true that the movies on board haven't usually been to our liking, although we did enjoy seeing "The Grand Budapest Hotel" last summer. But this doesn't mean that we've been bored. There is so much to do during the day that you could exhaust yourself trying to do it all. There are usually one or two classical music recitals, not to mention a harpist and a string quartet. As you mentioned, there are the Insight lectures, for which you won't need tickets, and the Planetarium (tickets, but several shows during the day). The young RADA (Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts) troupe will probably perform an abridged Shakespeare play. Then there's the library. We love sinking into a cozy chair, gazing out the windows that overlook the bow of the ship, and trying to read. If the weather cooperates, simply sitting on a deck chair and watching the ever changing sea and sky can refresh your spirits.

As for the evening, it may be that one or two of the shows will be to your liking. If not, you can make your way to the Chart Room for the fine jazz of the Mark Hodgson Trio. The Commodore Club on deck 9 is another extraordinary retreat and our favorite. At night there's a jazz pianist, wonderful concoctions (they needn't be alcoholic), and a quiet buzz that we find gloriously relaxing. If you enjoy board games, as we do, they are at your disposal as well on the corridors alongside the Royal Court Theatre. RADA usually has some evening performances to offer. We've enjoyed poetry recitals, dramatic readings, ghost stories, and the like.

I hope that this reassures you. If you're looking for other suggestions, I'm sure that others on this forum will be happy to offer them. May your back-to-back journey on Queen Mary 2 be all that you hope it to be and more. And may your "big surgery" go well and many years of wonderful travel lie before you.

Edited by Thaxted

Note that the planetarium shows won't be a planetarium show per se, but a series of Imax-style short films projected onto a planetarium dome. There are some starfield segments during the films but don't come expecting a lecture about the sky over the Titanic or anything like that.

The films are educational and enjoyable, and the seats are so comfy, and it's dark, and I'll only close my eyes for a second or two... :)

Edited by Underwatr

Welcome to Cruise critic and the Cunard board.

There is no need to fight for tickets for things, some of the popular lectures do fill up so it's worth getting to Illuminations early but if you really can't find a spot they are repeated on your TV later in the day.

We don't go to the production shows either but there are usually a few other entertainers - comedian, singers etc. Otherwise we watch the dancing in the Queens Room or listen to the music in either The Golden Lion, Commodore Club or the Chart Room.

There are examples of some Daily Programmes in the Sticky at the top of the page.

Current films being show on board are here

Edited by Host Hattie

Thank you for the responses. I feel more at ease about having plenty to do on board. ("Shakespeare at Sea" is exactly what we were hoping for!)

And super-double thank-you, Hattie, for posting the link to the films. That's actually more of a robust selection than I would have thought. It's bookmarked, and I will pore through the Q&A area of the main website more carefully... I've been using the personaliser site to get ship info, and I haven't seen a link to the film list there.

Thanks again!

My pleasure, happy planning. I'm not sure how they decide which films they show from the list, if your trip is classed as a back to back, there is a risk they might repeat. I've not done one for a while but someone else might be able to confirm.

There is lots of information on the Cunard page but if you have any questions, just ask.

Welcome to Cruise critic and the Cunard board.

There is no need to fight for tickets for things, some of the popular lectures do fill up so it's worth getting to Illuminations early but if you really can't find a spot they are repeated on your TV later in the day.

We don't go to the production shows either but there are usually a few other entertainers - comedian, singers etc. Otherwise we watch the dancing in the Queens Room or listen to the music in either The Golden Lion, Commodore Club or the Chart Room.

There are examples of some Daily Programmes in the Sticky at the top of the page.

Current films being show on board are here

Is there any way I can find out what is showing for our trip on 20th September?

My pleasure, happy planning. I'm not sure how they decide which films they show from the list, if your trip is classed as a back to back, there is a risk they might repeat. I've not done one for a while but someone else might be able to confirm.

There is lots of information on the Cunard page but if you have any questions, just ask.

Films in the cinema weren't repeated on our recent back to back, nor the lectures and planetarium films, but the films on the TV were, as were all the RADA shows and one of the production shows.

Is there any way I can find out what is showing for our trip on 20th September?

Do you mean the films ? I'm not aware of any more specific list, you could contact Cunard.

Films in the cinema weren't repeated on our recent back to back, nor the lectures and planetarium films, but the films on the TV were, as were all the RADA shows and one of the production shows.

That's good to know, thanks.

Yes, sorry I meant the films.

Now for my next question.... we are booked into the Britannia restaurant however I am wondering what the alternatives (as in the upgraded restaurants) are like and the additional costing of using them along with the booking procedure please?

Yes, sorry I meant the films. Now for my next question.... we are booked into the Britannia restaurant however I am wondering what the alternatives (as in the upgraded restaurants) are like and the additional costing of using them along with the booking procedure please?
Booking for the "alternative" restaurants in the Kings Court and Todd English can be booked in person, or via the cabin telephone. I usually visit in person.

Todd English is priced as most restaurants on land would be, i.e. by the dish ordered (used to be a simple cover charge, I think $15 lunch, $20 dinner). Been there many times. The portion sizes are large.

It has been many years since my one and only visit to the (evening only) alternative Kings Court restaurants, so I can't advise you on them, sorry. But someone here will have information I'm sure. They also used a cover charge system in the past, which at one time was $10, but that would have changed by now I'm sure. Reports of the food here are mixed, I disliked the venues so have never been back in the evening.

Edited by pepperrn

There is a menu with prices on the Cunard website, there is a link in the sticky (sorry can't post the link from my phone! )

Prices are not what you would expect to pay on land (not in the UK at least).

Edited by Host Hattie

We enjoy the Kings Court alternate dining options and do it at least once every trip. They've raised the price to $15 which is still small enough not to matter. If it goes to $20 we might reconsider, given that you forego a Britannia dinner if you choose an alternate venue. We haven't been to Todd English since they switched from a fixed fee so I can't comment on the value of the a la carte pricing.

Thank you, I checked the menus and cover charges...also the spa prices (I think I will be getting my nails etc done at home at those prices!)

I'm looking forward to the films being updated for our trip on 20.09.15, they are still a week behind at the moment.

Regarding the weather, I am soo pleased to have 2 suitcases to take as the weather for the cruise and NY maybe quite different from what I have read.

If there was one thing you wished you did by the end of the cruise and didn't get around to or "put off" what would it be?

If there was one thing you wished you did by the end of the cruise and didn't get around to or "put off" what would it be?
In all my QM2 voyages I have yet to check out a set of headphones from the purser's desk and tour the Maritime Quest exhibits in one go. I think I've seen all of the displays at one time or another but I've never heard the accompanying audio.

Also, the planetarium films tend to be at the beginning of the cruise itinerary in my experience, with Insights lectures taking up more of the afternoons later on. If you opt of out of one earlier you probably won't have an opportunity to see it later.

Another question......I unedrstand you leave your luggage outside your cabin door the evening before disembarking (we are leaving the cruise in NY). Where and when do we retrieve our cases following this?

You pick them up in the terminal onshore. You will be assigned colored tags corresponding to your disembark time. After you leave the ship, you'll be in a large hall where luggage will be gathered under each color. You then find your bags and wheel them (or have a steward handle them) to customs & immigration.

Edited by MarkBearSF

I did back to back Transatlantics for the summer, and I can assure you there is something great for everyone in your party! As for kicking back and reading, we did a lot of that. It's so nice to find your special place on the ship that you gravitate to to read. At times this was the Winter Garden, or a table next to the Window in King's Court, or the relaxation lounge at the Canyon Ranch Spa, or up by the pool in a lounge chair. There are so many options!

Having lived in New York City for 7 years, there is no shortage of great things to do. I would actually skip the Empire State Building, and go by cab to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Spend a couple of hours seeing the special exhibits and have lunch in the Petrie Court Sculpture Garden. After, you can wander up Museum Mile to the Guggenheim, the National Academy Museum, the Neue Galerie (which has a beautiful Viennese-themed cafe) the Cooper Hewitt Museum, and the Museum of the City of New York or go into the Met's backyard and explore Central park. Then walk one block over to Madison Avenue and walk down. There are many wonderful shops in that area, including shoe stores, clothing, bookshops, coffee shops, gifts, etc. It's wonderful just to window shop! If you are short on time during your stay, you can walk back over to 5th Avenue and take the M3 bus all the way down Fifth Avenue (I call it the cheapest tour in NYC!) and you will see so many wonderful things go by the window and you can get off wherever you like! (Central Park, the Frick Museum, Rockefeller Center, the Plaza Hotel, the New York Public Library, Lord & Taylor's,the Flatiron Building, Washington Square Park) Another gem is the Morgan Library if you have the time.

I believe your hotel is fairly close to MoMA, the museum of modern art. If you are interested in this and will be there on a Friday, Friday nights it is FREE to all from 4PM to 8PM.

As for weather, mid-October can run the gamut, but it normally the high is around 65 and the low is in the upper 40's F. A mid-weight coat with a hood is a good bet, and a good sweater. It might be sunny and crisp, or cool and rainy. It might be a bit breezy. But either way, you will have a wonderful time!

Edited by thenoflygal