Room Service

I wanted to get clarification on the food service situation. Do they have any sandwiches or burgers available at night from room service or only chips and dips. Also, do they serve hot breakfast with room service? From what I am seeing it seems they are pretty rigid with their meal times and there is not much flexibility for an 'anytime' meal if that makes any sense. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

For breakfast they offer hot continental service but you have to put it on the card and hang it on your door the night before. You can also order in the morning but it's a more limited menu. There is a 24 hour room service menu with a good variety of offerings but still sort of limited - think like one soup choice, one salad, one sandwich, cheese plate, chips and dips, desserts. There is another menu available from like noonish until probably 9pm with everything on the 24 hour menu plus cheeseburgers, steak sandwiches, pizza, etc. during lunch and dinner service times you can also order anything from the Dining room menu to be delivered to your room. Late night adds some additional snacks like popcorn.

For breakfast they offer hot continental service but you have to put it on the card and hang it on your door the night before. You can also order in the morning but it's a more limited menu. There is a 24 hour room service menu with a good variety of offerings but still sort of limited - think like one soup choice, one salad, one sandwich, cheese plate, chips and dips, desserts. There is another menu available from like noonish until probably 9pm with everything on the 24 hour menu plus cheeseburgers, steak sandwiches, pizza, etc. during lunch and dinner service times you can also order anything from the Dining room menu to be delivered to your room. Late night adds some additional snacks like popcorn.

Any scanned room service menus available online? The lack of info available online is perhaps the only annoying thing about switching from Celebrity to Windstar, as we did two years ago.

Oh, and Windstar's website sucks bigtime. :p

Any scanned room service menus available online? The lack of info available online is perhaps the only annoying thing about switching from Celebrity to Windstar, as we did two years ago.

Oh, and Windstar's website sucks bigtime. :p

We are also long time Celebrity cruisers looking for some different itineraries especially in the Caribbean. After seeing a show about the Wind Surf, we're thinking about trying them out. What is it that you like about them when compared to celebrity. I realize that's it's probably like comparing oranges to apples.

Is their website actually worse than celebrity's? :eek:

Sue

We are also long time Celebrity cruisers looking for some different itineraries especially in the Caribbean. After seeing a show about the Wind Surf, we're thinking about trying them out. What is it that you like about them when compared to celebrity. I realize that's it's probably like comparing oranges to apples.

Is their website actually worse than celebrity's? :eek:

Sue

There's no comparison for us: though Celebrity had style in spades, it still felt like a massive, crowded ship, which was not what we were looking for. By contrast, Windstar felt like we had chartered a yacht to take us to a few ports. We found the passengers more interesting and sociable as well, though that's of course subjective. We weren't interested in any onboard entertainment; we found the shows onboard Celebrity cringe-inducing. The food was pretty much equivalent.

At first we missed having balcony in our cabin, but as others have said, you start to think of your cabin differently when you feel like the whole ship is yours! On Celebrity the crowds were such that one's cabin was a bit of a haven from the madness, while on Windstar the cabin feels like a necessity. Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly pleasant -- the bathrooms in particular are nicely designed -- but we certainly didn't linger in them.

As for Windstar's website, though, the less said the better. :) Apparently they're in the middle of much-needed complete overhaul.

Thank you for the comparison. Do you know when they will open up their late winter/early spring itineraries for 2017? Also, does the wind surf go under sail very often? For me, that would be the best part of the experience.

Edited by MartinsCruise

Thank you for the comparison. Do you know when they will open up their late winter/early spring itineraries for 2017? Also, does the wind surf go under sail very often? For me, that would be the best part of the experience.

No clue about when 2017 will open up.

As to when they go under sail, we certainly saw the sails unfurled for a significant portion of our last Windstar cruise, but I can't say with any certainty that the captain ever turned the engines off entirely.

Quick question, I know Room Service is complimentary, but is there a gratuity added on or is tipping handled directly with the server?

They do get a portion of the gratuities that are added at the end of the cruise, but you can give them something directly as well if you'd like.