Has anybody cruised with Malcolm Burns as the CD before?

IPlayWithString

He was our CD on our last cruise. I liked him, but he needs to work on his public speaking. When doing the announcements, he really seemed to struggle. Lots of "ummmms...." The public announcements were a little awkward to listen to because of this. But overall that wasn't a big deal. I thought he was fun and I enjoyed his dancing at our sail away party.

Ok I know what it stands for, but have no idea what they do and why so many cruisers seem to know these people personally, so much so they rate them.

A cruise director is kind of like a host. Think of where American Idol would be without Ryan Seacrest. The show is about to end, but it would have ended many years ago without a great host. Americas Got Talent wouldn't still be around without Nick Cannon. For people who don't care for shows like that, they won't understand why a host matters or why people even recognize them. They still might watch TV, just not the shows where a host has an impact. Same goes for you & others with cruises. You still like cruises, just not the aspects of cruising where a cruise director has an impact. A good host definitely matters.

A cruise director is kind of like a host. Think of where American Idol would be without Ryan Seacrest. The show is about to end, but it would have ended many years ago without a great host. Americas Got Talent wouldn't still be around without Nick Cannon. For people who don't care for shows like that, they won't understand why a host matters or why people even recognize them. They still might watch TV, just not the shows where a host has an impact. Same goes for you & others with cruises. You still like cruises, just not the aspects of cruising where a cruise director has an impact. A good host definitely matters.

Thank you. As we are from the UK we are not overly familiar with those shows or hosts but I get what you mean. So if we don't do any of the shows onboard we are unlikely to come across the Cruise Director then?

Ok I know what it stands for, but have no idea what they do and why so many cruisers seem to know these people personally, so much so they rate them.

We just sort of have made it a point to talk to the CD at least once per cruise. My husband is a very outgoing kind of guy and he loves talking to people about their jobs. With Jen, the first time we ever sailed with her, we had an issue with our cabin steward and even though she probably could do zip about it, DH felt she ought to know. We're also the kind of people who go to EVERYTHING (except maybe the art auctions because it's not our thing) and she was EVERYWHERE on the ship. I loved going to her morning talk shows because you never knew what would come out of her mouth and she was really sweet and funny.

The last time we sailed with her, she treated us like old friends and hugged the crap out of us. :) Which I guess at this point she kind of is, seeing as we've sailed with her 3 times now.

She is one that, if I could sail with her every time, I would.

Thank you. As we are from the UK we are not overly familiar with those shows or hosts but I get what you mean. So if we don't do any of the shows onboard we are unlikely to come across the Cruise Director then?

The shows & games are the big thing where the CD is involved, whether it be introducing the production numbers or hosting some of the games. Some of his staff will also host some of the games. If you aren't involved with any of those things, then you probably won't see the CD. They will do a morning show that shows on the big screen by the pool or the in-cabin TV. They also will do talks about shore excursions & debarkation, although that is more an informative thing and not meant to be entertaining. Many people don't do any of the shows or activities on cruises, and that's perfectly fine. We all cruise for different things, so for some people, the CD doesn't matter.

In the UK, you may still have Britain's Got Talent. I am not familiar with their host(s) or how good they are.

He's American from the Bronx.

We've sailed with him 3 times on the Splendor.

1st time I found him very annoying....WooHooing everything gets annoying pretty fast.........but he actually grew on me. By the 3rd cruise he was actually quite entertaining. He's very involved and all over the ship. You'll see him at a deck party and 10 minutes later in the showroom, then on the Lido....seems like he never sleeps...........He does a great Beyoncé !

Those are my thoughts exactly. We had him for a B2B a few years ago. The first week I started to get tired of his WooHooing everything, but then he grew on me the 2nd week.

He's one of my least favorites. I too found him ill-prepared when it came to announcements. He was late for the moment of silence for 9/11 and you could tell he didn't have anything prepared to say. It was very awkward to listen to.