Did Costa upgrade the emergency generators like parent Carnival

Ku4anci

After some very serious mishaps at sea and ships stranded without propulsion, Carnival upgraded the emergency generators of its entire fleet. Costa being a subsidiary and running the very same ships - did they upgrade too? I have booked a Transatlantic cruise and am a bit nervous.

I heard that Costa have installed Electric Meters, so if power is lost Costa exects passengers to feed the Meters with coins.

The only problem is the Electric Meters were a job lot from eBay and only take the old British Shilling coin.

On a funny note, no idea why not go straight to your local Costa for the answer.

:) LOL

No mention of generators upgrade on Costa website. News outlets reported that Carnival has spent $300 million on upgrades to its fleet but there is no info if Costa received any or all of these upgrades. We don't have a Costa rep where i come from so cannot inquire(and they would probably be the last to know).

Edited by Ku4anci

After some very serious mishaps at sea and ships stranded without propulsion, Carnival upgraded the emergency generators of its entire fleet. Costa being a subsidiary and running the very same ships - did they upgrade too? I have booked a Transatlantic cruise and am a bit nervous.

Not sure how you meant that, but those generators had nothing to do with propulsion.

Well they sort of do. Diesel engines drive the generators which produce electricity for the electric motors that rotate the propellers. Most journalists aren't professionals and when they reported that fires in the engine rooms shut down the propulsion and the electricity onboard, it seems they weren't aware that there were different types of generators onboard and what was upgraded. I myself was never able to find online onformation what specifically was upgraded - most press releases simply provided the generic info - "Carnival will upgrade the generators on all of its ships". Nor was i able to understand if Costa was part of these fleet-wide upgrades. But the fact remains - fires in all cases started in the engine rooms which depending on the lay out, may call for generators to be upgraded together with the emergency generators which were badly positioned and caused all Hell to break loose on a few ships.

Edited by Ku4anci

Those generators in the little container housings were primarily for hotel services. Namely to keep the toilets flushing, water purification, lighting, etc.

Here is a propulsion engine....

Edited by thinfool

Those generators in the little container housings were primarily for hotel services. Namely to keep the toilets flushing, water purification, lighting, etc.

Here is a propulsion engine....

Thanks but what does this clarify with regards to generators upgarades?

Edited by Ku4anci

Carnival Cruise Lines updated their ships, Costa will be getting new rowing oars who is not a subsidiary of Carnival Cruise Lines. Both are daughter companies of Carnival Corp.

How can i delete this thread? It didn't bring any useful information and isn't doing justice to Costa and its employees as out of a million cruises, Carnival's ships only failed 3 times and Costa once. I wish i could delete it and not cause any harm to the cruise line.