Dollar amount you would consider a good deal.

lucigo

Now that we have gone once and are hooked, what is the dollar amount you would consider a good deal for a 7 night cruise from Florida. Thinking your input might help me have a starting point for future shopping. :)

It depends on the ship, time of year, and category. The Wonder and Magic generally cost less than the Fantasy, but they don't do year round sailings from PC.

My old maximums won't get me on the ships any more, other than with last minute deals. That may mean no more cruising for a while.....

OK, lowest price I booked for a week was $599 + $49 taxes = $648 per person for a week. I actually got this price a couple times, most recently in 2009. I don't expect to see this rate again, but it was sweet while it lasted. This was an inside cabin that got upgraded to a cat 10 (inside with split bath).

Most I ever booked for was $6000 for 2 people for a week in a verandah cabin. This was for a special date/cruise.

OK' date=' lowest price I booked for a week was $599 + $49 taxes = $648 per person for a week. I actually got this price a couple times, most recently in 2009. I don't expect to see this rate again, but it was sweet while it lasted. This was an inside cabin that got upgraded to a cat 10 (inside with split bath).

Most I ever booked for was $6000 for 2 people for a week in a verandah cabin. This was for a special date/cruise.[/quote']

That sounds like a great price!

If you are looking at a 7 day caribbean in a balcony cabin for 3, I would say anything under 5k is a decent price. Depends a lot on time of year though as well.

We can't do last minute to FL so booking on board and as far out as possible is the best deal for us. Our balcony cabin for 3 next April on the Magic is $4,600. This year we paid roughly the same and 2 years ago on the Fantasy it was $4200. All were in April.

OK' date=' lowest price I booked for a week was $599 + $49 taxes = $648 per person for a week. I actually got this price a couple times, most recently in 2009. I don't expect to see this rate again, but it was sweet while it lasted. This was an inside cabin that got upgraded to a cat 10 (inside with split bath).

Most I ever booked for was $6000 for 2 people for a week in a verandah cabin. This was for a special date/cruise.[/quote']

Have they changed the way they do taxes? I'm noticing on this last cruise it says our taxes are $299.47. (7 nights to St. Thomas, San Juan and Castaway Cay)

Have they changed the way they do taxes? I'm noticing on this last cruise it says our taxes are $299.47. (7 nights to St. Thomas, San Juan and Castaway Cay)

Yes, there are two types of taxes in the ultimate final cost. Our cruise was listed on many TA sites as $599, but when we went to book there was an additional tax amount of $49. When we got the confirmation from DCL, the amounts were totally different, with lines for "cruise fare" and "taxes and government fees." The "taxes and fees" line was something like $230.

You continue to see such things today--some web sites include the TOTAL fare on the site while others list a "per person" charge, typically ending in 99, and then add additional stuff. I don't know why/how they get away with listing it differently than DCL does.

Interestingly, we booked a Celebrity cruise with the same ports as a DCL cruise. I was shocked when we saw the final amount from Celebrity because their "taxes and fees" were hundreds higher than DCL. It made their initial quote look much lower, when in reality it was only a little lower.

:) For a non-peak season - oceanview cabin, we paid $3600 for 3, 14 months before the cruise. It would seem that the best rates are the day that they are first published by Disney. After they are published, the price just goes up.

Well we cruise from Australia so probably not much help to you, but balcony and when school is out [she is a teacher] about $200 pp pd is pretty much the norm. Friends want us to do a cruise with them but it's $20K for 10 days, so unlikely.

:) After they are published, the price just goes up.

Generally, but not always true. We have seen cruises that did not increase in price from the opening day until embarkation (these also tended to be some of the lowest rates, obviously). The prices increase as the ships fill, so the occasional less popular cruises may remain at opening day prices.

Also, the *GT specials may be as low as opening day prices. They are typically just a bit higher than the day 1 rates, but not always.

Edited by moki'smommy

Thanks for all of your replies. Our May 2 Fantasy cruise for 3 in a GTY oceanview, booked 3 weeks before sailing, was close to $2600, so I'm going to call that a good deal, and hope we can do that well again. :)

VGT of $1022 pp, excl tax/fee for 1st/2nd passenger .. for 7-night Disney Fantasy in off season. OGT $882. IGT $840. That's the rate you could have received for sailing in this past January.

Edited by Friend100

VGT of $1022 pp, excl tax/fee for 1st/2nd passenger .. for 7-night Disney Fantasy in off season. OGT $882. IGT $840. That's the rate you could have received for sailing in this past January.

Are taxes $50 or $300?

Cost of $150 per person, per day.

Any more than that and I start looking at other lines (which I also love). For my cost, DCL has the highest per person, per day cost I'm willing to spend (RCCL has the lowest).

I'm not one who's willing to pay whatever Disney charges; if they are too high for the time/place I'm looking for, I have learned to move on (I love cruising in general though - not just cruising on Disney so the line is one of the lesser considerations - for me, each line has it's plusses and minuses).

Cost of $150 per person, per day.

Any more than that and I start looking at other lines (which I also love). For my cost, DCL has the highest per person, per day cost I'm willing to spend (RCCL has the lowest).

I'm not one who's willing to pay whatever Disney charges; if they are too high for the time/place I'm looking for, I have learned to move on (I love cruising in general though - not just cruising on Disney so the line is one of the lesser considerations - for me, each line has it's plusses and minuses).

There is nothing wrong with variety! I definitely have favorite things about each line we have cruised with, and some things don't change. Sitting on your balcony watching a sunrise, for example. :)

I'm afraid those days are gone!

Now that we have gone once and are hooked, what is the dollar amount you would consider a good deal for a 7 night cruise from Florida. Thinking your input might help me have a starting point for future shopping. :)

We're not sailing out of Florida (we're doing Galveston), but we're paying $4300 for a 7-night cruise in November 2016 for 2 adults and 1 child. Deluxe oceanview with a verandah (category 5B). We also get a $200 on-board credit. No idea if that would be considered a "good deal," but I think the price will only go up so we decided to just bite the bullet.

We're not sailing out of Florida (we're doing Galveston), but we're paying $4300 for a 7-night cruise in November 2016 for 2 adults and 1 child. Deluxe oceanview with a verandah (category 5B). We also get a $200 on-board credit. No idea if that would be considered a "good deal," but I think the price will only go up so we decided to just bite the bullet.

Galveston was a bust last time and heavily discounted cruises were available. Keep your eyes open....although most specials come out only after the penalty date has passed.

We tend to book after final payment in order to get the last minute discounts. We consider a good price for a seven day cruise on an inside cabin to be $499, but we usually book balconies and look for a price of $100 (or less) per night per person to be a good price.