Anyone ever hop off- hop on cruise tour

bidtrips

I am booked on an Alaskan Cruisetour in 2017. The cruisetour does not have as much train travel as we would like. Our tour takes us by motorcoach from Denali to Fairbanks.

I got a price from a Princess rep to buy train trip from Denali to Fairbanks on a Princess car. My TA called Princess to see if we could skip the motorcoach and take the train, at our expense. The answer was no. You cannot deviate from the tour, not only that ...but if we do we may have the rest of our tour cancelled.

So at this point we will not buy a ticket on the train, but are hoping maybe we can talk to a tour official once at Denali and see if we can take train, even if just get an Alaska Rail ticket, for the final leg.

So, my question is...has anyone ever deviated from a tour and reconnected?

You might want to cancel the cruise tour and book the cruise and tour separately. This is the link to the separately sold Princess rail tours: https://www.princesslodges.com/alaska-rail-tours/rail-tours/

The cruisetours are exactly as stated and are not flexible at all. Everything is planned out at every stop and to customize for some guests would be a logistical nightmare for Princess. If the published cruisetours aren't 100% to your liking, you should definitely go the DIY route.

The road from Denali to Fairbanks is mostly along the rail (although a small section just north of Denali is a better view from the train). You will also get into Fairbanks much earlier on the bus.

If you want more train travel you have to pick the right Princess tour. Our TA did this for our first trip when we wanted all the travel to be by train. But we did have a lot of waiting around for the train. Expect to pay more.