175 Cruise Departing 17 May Itinerary Change.

slhw

When we visited Cobh on QM2 in October 2009 on her Maiden Call we arrived very early and left quite late I recall so would have been at the quay for a low and high tide - It is a huge harbour - inlet and as most of you know was a calling point on the transatlantic voyages (Trivia - We were told when we were there that when Titanic called it did not dock but was served by tenders - unlike the film - the remnants of the quay are still in evidence )

I wonder whether the change of itinerary could be to do with a certain Royal visit taking place over 4 days next week to the Irish Republic and Northern Island. There are some details on the Clarence House website, but fairly vague.

I smell money as in revenue. Perhaps it is less costly to berth farther away. It just seems that Cunard (and I'm sure the industry in general) exploits every opportunity to increase revenue, often at the passenger's expense, both literally and figuratively.

I smell money as in revenue. Perhaps it is less costly to berth farther away. It just seems that Cunard (and I'm sure the industry in general) exploits every opportunity to increase revenue, often at the passenger's expense, both literally and figuratively.

I was just reading their Roll Call and someone who spoke to Cunard says it's because of tidal conditions.

QM2 has a draft of 9.95 metres, Cobh can accommodate ships requiring less than 6.1metres alongside or 9.1 metres on the pontoon; Ringaskiddy has a deep water berth with a depth of metres. I think with low tides expected it is understandable that the schedule has been altered. It is a shame that it such a difficult place to easily reach Cobh from.