Boarding Time Flexible for QM2?

thenoflygal

I just received my e-tickets for boarding the QM2. This is our first voyage so we are just learning everything! The tickets say our boarding time is 3pm. I have already booked a car to drop us off in Brooklyn at the NY port at noon. Will it be at all possible for us to board early then? Or should I call the car service to change our drop off time? I really don't want to hang out waiting in the cruise terminal for 3 hours. I am hoping to get on board and take some pictures and get spa passes, make reservations for alternate dining etc. Any experience with boarding early?

Hi thenoflygal, Welcome to CC!

DH and I also come to Brooklyn terminal (and the Southampton terminal, for that matter) from afar and usually have to return a car rental by a certain time, so we haven't always been able to coordinate our arrival time with the assigned time. We have never been turned away. In the past, as people arrive in the terminal, if it is crowded, a paper number (or letter) is handed out and after queuing for the check-in desk, there are plentiful seats for waiting until your number (or letter) is called by terminal staff. We have waited as little as ten minutes and as long as an hour (during which time, we were mostly seated). If your have mobility issues and are unable to stand in the queue, you can ask for a wheelchair, when you enter the building. Really, the whole thing isn't that bad.

After you board and drop hand-carried items off in your cabin, you will find lunch and snacks at the buffet on deck 6. This is called "King's Court."

There will be sparkling wine in your cabin. This is complementary and of dubious quality, but I think still a nice gesture from Cunard.

Do go to the top of the ship when it sails away : ) Do attend the daytime lectures! These are a highlight of Cunard ships.

Have a wonderful time, thenoflygal!

jimmybean described it pretty well - nobody is turned away if they arrive early. Cunard uses staggered boarding times in the hope that 2600 passengers don't all show up at once. I see very long checkin lines since many passengers ignore their boarding time and nonetheless come at noon. (It's not a criticism but an observation.)

If your stateroom is not ready you will be given a number and wait in the terminal seating area. The nice thing about Cunard compared to HAL is that one can immediately so to their stateroom upon boarding.

If you are not in a hurry for lunch you can head to the spa first and get your day passes. They only sell so many to avoid overcrowding in the aquatherapy pool. I haven't used alternative dining so I can't help there.

One of the best places to be for sailway is on the observation platform in front of the funnel. As her radar mast approaches the bridge it looks like you're going the hear "bang!":)

Our first Cunard cruise also, albeit from Southampton. No times are shown on our boarding docs so I rang Cunard (whom we booked with), and was told it was an error and we are not the only ones without allocated boarding times, and we could board anytime between 12 and 4pm.

I suggested this might cause problems as I imagine most will wish to board as early as possible. The young man agreed but did not really have any solution.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out!

Thanks everyone, appreciate it! I will be sure to write a trip report when I return. I did not know about the limited passes at the Aquatherapy pool (which is my number one goal for the adventure) or about that great spot for the sail away. Thanks to all!

After you board and drop hand-carried items off in your cabin, you will find lunch and snacks at the buffet on deck 6. This is called "King's Court."

There will be sparkling wine in your cabin. This is complementary and of dubious quality, but I think still a nice gesture from Cunard.

Almost right - pour the Pol Acker down the sink, forget lunch and head straight to the bar for a proper drink !

Almost right - pour the Pol Acker down the sink, forget lunch and head straight to the bar for a proper drink !

I wish I could disagree, but ToadOfToadHall is typically on the mark with his posted recommendations.

The Commodore on deck 9 forward is the place to go for cocktails : )

Take the Pol Acker with good graces. There has been MUCH discussion on cc critiquing this beverage. Still, it is a gift from Cunard. It looks good in the wine bucket when you first enter your cabin…

...you will find lunch and snacks at the buffet on deck 6. This is called "King's Court."
Deck 7, actually. :)

We save ours for morning mimosas in the room with room service OJ. We pack a good stopper to keep in the fizz and a full bottle lasts a few days. If you only get a half bottle, lucky you!

Deck 7, actually. :)

You are absolutely correct, Underwatr, Deck 7 it is. (Too much Pol Acker while I was typing yesterday).

thenoflygal, please note. The King's Court IS on deck 7.

Thank you, Underwatr.