Anyone heard anything about neoRiviera sailings being cancelled?

AmoMondo

I'm booked on the neoRiviera on November sailing from Venice to Dubai. An Australian friend has the cabin booked next door. She's been told that it has been cancelled for " operative reasons" but they've switched her to neoClassica, Savona to Dubai one day earlier and with the first half of the itinerary completely different.

I've heard nothing from Costa UK but my online booking can no longer be viewed. The sailing has disappeared from the website itinaries too. But nothing is showing for neoClassica. I've emailed them for more info.

Anyone any insight into what is happening? They seem to have dropped mainly Egyptian ports so the change may be for security reasons but that doesn't explain the change of ship too.

Costa Germany is not showing any sailings for both ships after mid November at present. Also my online TA is showing both ships at fully booked for this time period which usually means either a ship has been sold or itineraries have changed.

I spoke with Costa but the call centre has no further information.

If you look at Costa's Italian website you will see that from november 2015 there are only Diadema, Deliziosa, Magica, Favolosa and neoRomantica scheduled. I think that they are changing several things about the winter 2016/17 and they will release the new ships and itineraries deployment in one or two weeks

Thanks both for your replies. I shall just have to wait and see what they offer me. I do hope I get switched to the same cruise as my friend. Trouble is we had not gotten around to asking for a link so we could be at the same dinner table. We'd just booked cabins next door to each other. Her via a TA in Australia, whilst I booked direct with Costa UK.

I wonder if they are rethinking the deployment of ships to China now? See MSC has not long decided to also have a ship out there but with the grave concerns over the true state of their economy, perhaps it isn't such a great growth area for cruise lines after all? I'd be delighted if Costa brings the Atlantica back!

Spring 2016 Costa will have four ships in the Chinese market (Atlantica, Victoria, Serena and Fortuna after her Dubai deployment) plus the two new builds especially for the Chinese market.

I'll like to see a Costa ship based in the Far East (Singapore, Hong Kong), something like Mediterranea or Atlantica (a ship that has not been chinalised) for European cruisers. Example, Malaysia, Thailand, Burma or Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, or Hong Kong, Sanya, Philipines, Borneo, or Singapore, Indonesia, Bali, Darwin. What about Australia and New Zealand.

IK'll put them on my next Christmas wish list.

Spring 2016 Costa will have four ships in the Chinese market (Atlantica, Victoria, Serena and Fortuna after her Dubai deployment) plus the two new builds especially for the Chinese market.

I'll like to see a Costa ship based in the Far East (Singapore, Hong Kong), something like Mediterranea or Atlantica (a ship that has not been chinalised) for European cruisers. Example, Malaysia, Thailand, Burma or Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, or Hong Kong, Sanya, Philipines, Borneo, or Singapore, Indonesia, Bali, Darwin. What about Australia and New Zealand.

Me too. Id love to see a ship available to book Far East- occasionally there is a cruise around on Victoria- but not often and they never seem to fit with school holidays or they dont give enough notice to enable me to organise time off school for Luke.

Ron, are any of the sailings for Spring 2016 cruises visible on the Costa German site? I can see nothing here for Au guests.

A ship based in the Far East out of Singapore or Hong Kong would be fabulous Ron. I'd be going for sure.

Heard back from Costa UK today. Basically they don't know anything yet, waiting for guidelines, be patient they will tell me my options when they know more. Looks like they are further down the road in dealing with this in Sustralia which seems weird because I'm sure they don't actually have a dedicated office there.

A ship based in the Far East out of Singapore or Hong Kong would be fabulous Ron. I'd be going for sure.

Before the Chinese market became so popular, the Classica and Romantica not before they were Neo'd were both based there for most of the time. We did 3 Asian cruises 2 from Singapore and 1 from Hong Kong. The ships were older but the itineraries were fabulous. I think at one point the Allegra was also based out of Asia.

Australian Costa is done out of China-with a dedicated phone number for Australian to use- with English speaking staff- maybe they are further up the chain than the UK.

Heard today that the Venice to Dubia cruise on neoRibiera has definitely been cancelled. It has been replaced by Savona to Dubia on neoClassica at same price as original cruise but with a lot of different ports. I also an e the option of cancelling with a full refund of deposit but I'm going to accept the alternative.

So mystery over. Now waiting to find out whether my friend and I will still be in cabins next door to each other or not.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd suggest Costa are heading for the Southern Hemisphere, as per P&O. An Australian market beckons......

Too many Costa ships going round in circles in the med now!!! These older ships are perfect for a new venture.

Costa are doing ships swaps before the new catalogue comes in out in a month or two. By sending the neoRiviera to South America they are reducing passenger capacity due to turn down in the local economies and the Zika outbreak. Up until a couple of years ago Costa used to send 4 Concordia / Fortuna class ships, each with a capacity of well over 3500 passengers, the neo Riviera carries about 1600 passengers.

Costa to Australia, don't think so, Carnival Corp already has Oz well covered with Carnical Cruise Line, Princess and the local P&O Australia.

Now a ship in the Far East, would be nice, maybe the neoClassica afer her winter season 2016/2017 in Dubai a repo to Singapore. She did this in 2009.

Australia is full of Italians who migrated out, I think the Costa brand would fit well with them. P&O are not an upmarket brand in Oz, in fact they are considered booze cruises! Designed for a specific market. Cruising in Oz is quite expensive as well, so Costa would be able to charge more than they do in Europe, the infrastructure is already in place there as well.

Don't write it off, it is being considered, they have to find other markets for the ships until the 2 new large monsters arrive and they move a couple of ships on.

• 3 weeks later...

I no longer cruise with Costa, prefering MSC, but I'll throw this info in for my Costa forum friends. MSC have announced they are sending the MSC Lirica to the Far East mainly for the Chinese market. Starting in May 2016 she will sail out of Shanghai with short itineraries to several Japanese and South Korean ports. I doubt this would appeal much to Australians.

I no longer cruise with Costa, prefering MSC, but I'll throw this info in for my Costa forum friends. MSC have announced they are sending the MSC Lirica to the Far East mainly for the Chinese market. Starting in May 2016 she will sail out of Shanghai with short itineraries to several Japanese and South Korean ports. I doubt this would appeal much to Australians.

The repo journey out looks very interesting Chuck, shame I don't have enough time. Ahh, one day when I retire these long interesting journeys will be a possibility. Now I'm stuck with 21 days max. Hoping the neoClassica will be ok. Not expecting too much from it, it's more for the transit of the Siez and getting to see Petra. Also cruising with a lovely lady from Australia I met on the Armonia repo a couple of years ago.

MDC have had one Australian sailing but that was just a charter for the Gallipoli centenary.

Mairi, my last Costa cruise was on the neoRomantica and I didn't enjoy it very much. I didn't like the anytime dining (different table, waiter, and mates every evening), the lack of a proper theatre, and the overall "neo-izing" of the old Romantica (I presume it's the same with the Classica and Rivera. All this plus the long standing kitsch found on Costa ships and lessening Italian style caused me to settle in with MSC for the long term.

Enjoy your two repos. We had a day at Barbados on the Divina in October and did a nice catamaran trip. The Italy-Dubai you'll enjoy. I did it years ago on the old Costa Europa and have fond memories of the Suez transit and Petra (we also had two stops in Yemen!). We'll be doing it again in reverse next March on the MSC Fantasia.

Mairi, my last Costa cruise was on the neoRomantica and I didn't enjoy it very much. I didn't like the anytime dining (different table, waiter, and mates every evening), the lack of a proper theatre, and the overall "neo-izing" of the old Romantica (I presume it's the same with the Classica and Rivera. All this plus the long standing kitsch found on Costa ships and lessening Italian style caused me to settle in with MSC for the long term.

Enjoy your two repos. We had a day at Barbados on the Divina in October and did a nice catamaran trip. The Italy-Dubai you'll enjoy. I did it years ago on the old Costa Europa and have fond memories of the Suez transit and Petra (we also had two stops in Yemen!). We'll be doing it again in reverse next March on the MSC Fantasia.

Thanks Chuck. I only realised about the anytime dining on the neos after I'd booked. I certainly would not like that as a sol but since I'll be travelling with a friend, hopefully it will work out ok. I do miss the Atlantica - shame she seems permanently based out in China now.

I've got 2.5 days in Barbados before I board the Orchestra so a

Have time to do a few things. Still need to research that - soon!

Mairi, if you're interested in the catamaran trip, I booked it with "Cool Runnings." Cost was USD90 a person for a five hour cruise including lunch on board - snorkeling, swimming with sea turtles, etc. They pick you up and return you to the cruise terminal after the trip (also included in the price). Friendly crew, delicious lunch, fun time. Around 20 people on board as I recall. info@coolrunningsbarbados.com.