Costa Fortuna UAE cruise Jan 16. Advice please

Coast11

We are traveling as a group of 4 on Costa Fortuna this month. This is the first time I have travelled with Costa and have read many ( mixed) reviews on several sites.

My only other cruise experience was on a P&O cruise to the Canaries a couple of years ago.

I have been a little underwhelmed at the lack of information sent to me, and despite looking at their e-brochure, reading the FAQ, and gleaning information from forums I still have a couple of questions.....

DRINKS Package: To purchase the AI drinks package every member of the party has to buy one. The quoted cost of this is > 800 euros. Bit of an issue as one member doesn't drink alcohol, and there are now some concerns that one of our group wont be able to come on the holiday. I have been trying to find a link for the prices of drinks on several forums but haven't been successful so far. Can we purchase the AI drinks package on board individually?

Also I have read that there are other drinks packages available on board. Can anyone advise? Also what is the position about having to water to drink? I like to drink plenty of water, especially in the heat and always have a bottle at my bedside. From what I have read this doesn't sound possible.

2 x DINNER seating times: I have read different times that these start. CAn anyone confirm the actual time. Is one better than the other if you wish to see the "entertainment"? one of our group is vegetarian - will there be enough choice?

FORMAL / GALA nights and dress code: does anyone know when the formal nights are and whether they are themed? On the P&O cruise we were notified what each night would be, but no information provided by Costa

DRESS CODE IN PORTs of Oman, Abu Dhabi and Khasab. Clearly aware of the need to cover up at religious sites and planning to dress accordingly, but is there anything else we need to be aware of?

Sorry for going on!

many thanks

Hi Coast11,

May be able to assist, just returned from same itinerary on the Fortuna on Dec 30th.

The drinks package must be paid by all persons sharing a cabin, it does not have to be taken by all members of a multi booked group.

We had the Pia Gusto Package, this includes cocktails, speciality coffees, draft beer, spirits, soft drinks including water by the glass, and house wines by the glass. Despite the poor wine on offer we considered it to be good value for money.

You can obtain water by the bottle but you will need to purchase it.

On board you can purchase soft drink and wine packages.

Dinner times were 6.45pm and 9.15pm, the Theatre Show has two performances based around the seating times. If you are appointed first or second seating and it is not to your preference see the Maitre D and he will endeavour to change your time or put you on a waiting list, please note that once you change, you cannot change back.

The gala nights were on the first sailing day out of Dubai and on the evening when we visited Khasbi, dress code was advertised as formal, but only approx 5% in black tie, maybe a further 20% in Suits/Blazers, majority in trousers and shirts.

Unless you are planning dhow cruise around the Fjords, don't bother with the town at Khasbi.

If you require any further info, just ask.

I have posted a review on the ship on CC.

Lee

We are traveling as a group of 4 on Costa Fortuna this month. This is the first time I have travelled with Costa and have read many ( mixed) reviews on several sites.

My only other cruise experience was on a P&O cruise to the Canaries a couple of years ago.

I have been a little underwhelmed at the lack of information sent to me, and despite looking at their e-brochure, reading the FAQ, and gleaning information from forums I still have a couple of questions.....

DRINKS Package: To purchase the AI drinks package every member of the party has to buy one. The quoted cost of this is > 800 euros. Bit of an issue as one member doesn't drink alcohol, and there are now some concerns that one of our group wont be able to come on the holiday. I have been trying to find a link for the prices of drinks on several forums but haven't been successful so far. Can we purchase the AI drinks package on board individually?

Also I have read that there are other drinks packages available on board. Can anyone advise? Also what is the position about having to water to drink? I like to drink plenty of water, especially in the heat and always have a bottle at my bedside. From what I have read this doesn't sound possible.

2 x DINNER seating times: I have read different times that these start. CAn anyone confirm the actual time. Is one better than the other if you wish to see the "entertainment"? one of our group is vegetarian - will there be enough choice?

FORMAL / GALA nights and dress code: does anyone know when the formal nights are and whether they are themed? On the P&O cruise we were notified what each night would be, but no information provided by Costa

DRESS CODE IN PORTs of Oman, Abu Dhabi and Khasab. Clearly aware of the need to cover up at religious sites and planning to dress accordingly, but is there anything else we need to be aware of?

Sorry for going on!

many thanks

Attached is a list of the drinks packages that can be bought onboard, these can be shared between one or more persons. There are pülenty of non-alcohlic drinks available on the AI.

Specific drinks prices:

Cocktail €7.45

Non-alcohol Cocktails €5.45

Margaritas, Mojito, Cairpirinhas €7.45

Sprites (not premium €5.50

Beer bottles €4.95

Beer Draught €3.95 - €4.95

Water 1l €2.95

Coffee €1.55 - 3.60

With regards to vegetarian dishes, there are normally items available from the main menu (there are marked with a "V"), also there are standard items available every night i.e. a soup and main dish (minestrone and spagetti with tomato sauce).

Each evening you will be provided (in your cabin) with the next day program (called TODAY), describes activities, time of docking, weather, opening times of retaurants and bars etc. Also it will state what type of dinner the next day will be Formal/Gala or Casual/Leisure, so you can plan accordingly.

Costa.pdf

Thank you GMT.

Can you answer another question please? The member who is does not drink alcohol is prepared to go for the AI package as she will probably drink plenty of water, soda and non alcoholic cocktails. The only issue will likely be if the member who may not be able to come backs out. Would we be expected to pay for 4 AI packages even though there would only be 3'of us, as there are 4 on the booking, and the rules say all members of the booking have to have the same package?

If we buy the packages when we get there can we buy them individually?

Thank you for your assistance

For these sort questions it is best to go through where you booked the cruise, i.e. Travel Agent or Costa.

The answers to these types of questions can vary between countries, so it is best to go via your local resource, direct from the horse's mouth.

If you have other questions - just ask.

thanks LIMPIT for you advice - did you see my other post about Visa in Oman ports? Can you tell me what happened about this

thanks

I assume you have a UK/EU passport. In Muscat you will be issued a landing card on disembarkation. You surrender on reembarkation. That simple. There is no VISA as such.

Odd thing was there is no formality like that in Khasab.

Don't agree with Limpit about Kjasab - the town is very poor in terms of things to do but the Castle is wrth a look.

Here is a link to a review I did on Serena exactly a year before your cruise

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=266&t=9610

Just to add a couple of points to the previous posts.

1. We were able to change our dining time back to first sitting after initially changing to 2nd.

2. We found it was cheaper to book the Piu Gusto package before boarding than waiting until onboard (not by a great deal though).

3. I agree that we thought it was worth going into town in Khasab for an hour even if just to get off the boat and stretch your legs & get some wifi.

thanks everyone - feel far better informed now.

checked again on my online cruise pages - to book Piu Gusto package I would have to pay for all members of the party if I do it now. Lot of money to loose if one of the group doesn't make it :(

We went on the Fortuna 18 day relocation cruise that arrived in Dubai on Xmas Eve. No drinks package as wife is tea-total.

IF you decide not to go for the drinks package, you can supplement your water purchase by asking your steward for a daily ice bucket. The ice is free and it's from the same source that supplies the bars and restaurants.

thanks everyone - feel far better informed now.

checked again on my online cruise pages - to book Piu Gusto package I would have to pay for all members of the party if I do it now. Lot of money to loose if one of the group doesn't make it :(

Well if you wait until you get onboard and buy it, they would only charge you for 3 if only 3 of you actually end up going.