Venice to Rome SD1 july 19 - 29

kathyanddanny

Well, my initial thought is that I wish we were going along with you. Looks to be a great itinerary. Venice is great. Croatia is special, of course. Kotor is a bit of a hidden gem and the sail in up the fjord is not to be missed. I must admit that I needed to call upon my friends at Google to learn about Sarande (Butrint). Never having been there, I guess my only comment is that it would be fun to visit and check another country off of the list. Will look forward to hearing what you think about it. Finally, the Italian ports are a great way to end any voyage.

Have a great trip!

Ctbjr1309,

Thank you!

Never been on SD1, be nice to see how the other half lives...? Love this itinerary, as we.have been wanting to go to Venice for a long while. Some of the stops will be repeated for us but excited to return...10 days on Seadream!? Can't go wrong wherever we are! 😃

Sarande would probably be my day to stay happily on board. The excursion to Butrint was very weak IMHO. Kotor and Rab both fantastic. The crowds got to us in Dubrovnik (May) and we retreated to an empty SeaDream and appreciated the city from the ship. Ending in Positano and Capri is perfect.

Sarande would probably be my day to stay happily on board. The excursion to Butrint was very weak IMHO. Kotor and Rab both fantastic. The crowds got to us in Dubrovnik (May) and we retreated to an empty SeaDream and appreciated the city from the ship. Ending in Positano and Capri is perfect.

And are there any fashionable shirt shops you can recommend Abenaki ?

You were so helpful in assisting HH in fiinding that exquisite shop in Porto Venere.

Chou.

Abenaki,

May was too crowded?...imagine what july is like?! We were in Rome in July last year. The Trevi fountain was a zoo! But still so exciting! When it's your first time, it's as if your the only one there...😃 So looking forward to this trip! Of course some stops we expect to be more visually appealing than others, but it's the adventure that counts right? We will be going to Venice for a couple of days before catching the yacht, any suggestions for a hotel?

I'll get back to you on hotels.... Venice is a challenge for hotels. They tend to be either outrageously expensive or mundane and expensive. The mundane ones fill just as fast so there is no great incentive to improve them. You are only in the room to sleep, however, in such a wonderful city. I do have a few really good out of the way restaurants for you. tra poco (à bientôt)

and to Ho Hum.... NO ONE buys clothes in Venice, even the Venetians, silly boy.

I'll get back to you on hotels.... Venice is a challenge for hotels. They tend to be either outrageously expensive or mundane and expensive. The mundane ones fill just as fast so there is no great incentive to improve them. You are only in the room to sleep, however, in such a wonderful city. I do have a few really good out of the way restaurants for you. tra poco (à bientôt)

......a tad shirty are'nt we this morning ? haha

....keep your shirt on .... Haha (sure there's more...haha)

Abenaki,

Appreciate all you can help with! 😃 flights are booked!! Direct to and from...

The airplane gods must be with us!? We put in a booking request from Seadream...surprised their offices are not open on weekends!? Now all we need is to book our hotels in Venice and Rome...Sooo excited!! 😃✈️🚢

We were very happy with the Hilton Molino Stucky in Venice. It is on the island of Giudecca across from the San Basilio dock, so it is away from the hordes of tourists, but they have a shuttle boat that will take you across the canal to the Dorsoduro or all the way to St. Mark's Square. It is a short walk to Harry's Bar for Bellinis. There has been talk about Venice prohibiting rolling suitcases through the streets and over the bridges to get to hotels that do not have their own dock, so this may be an important consideration in selecting a hotel. Even if it is still permitted, do you really want to do that?

Having just done our first voyage on SD2 after many on SD1, I agree it is nice to see how the other half live. We spent the week trying to find all of the little differences between the two ships, like the shower doors. (That might be a good topic for another thread.) But you will find that the crew is just as outstanding.

Zimmy's DH

Thank you kindly, Zimmy's DH...

As it so happens, I was looking at the Hilton Molino! Very nice! Love the fact that it's away from the crowds, we'll need some alone time in July I suspect! lol.

This is Venice!! The stuff of Harlequin romance novels!! 💝

We will only be there for three days, and I demand Romance!! LOL...

We think we've narrowed it down to a very small list...any input is very welcomed! 😃

Hilton Molino

Hotel Londra

Gritti Palace

Palace Danieli (named after my Hubby )

Hotel Canal Grande

Palazzo Stern

St.Regis san Clemente ( my personal favorite! )

So, there it is! The short list...what do you all think?

As it so happens, I was looking at the Hilton Molino! Very nice! Love the fact that it's away from the crowds, we'll need some alone time in July I suspect! lol.

We think we've narrowed it down to a very small list...any input is very welcomed! 😃

Hilton Molino

Hotel Londra

Gritti Palace

Hotel Canal Grande

Palazzo Stern

Very impressive Kathy !

But

Avoid the restaurant at the Palazzio Giovanni off the Piazza Letini.

It had amazing reviews in last season's, travel section of "Canadian Settlers & Trappers" but the service was awful and the moose carbonara was very tough and the pasta for from "al dente" !

But for advice anything Italian, HH would defer to Abenaki on practically all subjects.

Hilton Molino

Hotel Londra

Gritti Palace

Hotel Canal Grande

Palazzo Stern

Venice is very special. Be sure to take a Water Taxi whenever possible. Best way to and from the airport as well (my 2 cents worth):D

Thank you for the advice Ho Hum!

But my connections with Beavertail paths and cod condos suggest that I should go with the shrimp linguini with the maple syrup reduction...LOL

p.s. Can't wait to meet you and Blondie! 😃

We feel the same K !

Kathy,

The last time we were there, we pre-booked the water taxi from the airport, either through the hotel or our TA. They will have someone meet you as you come out of customs and show you to a van that will take you to the taxi. It is not like there is a taxi stand right outside the door. By pre-booking you avoid the hustlers that might charge you much more than the official fare.

You can take water taxis all over the place, but you will soon find your wallet significantly lighter. It is easy to take the vaporetti (water buses). Be sure you take one to Murano and visit some of the fantastic galleries. Be cautious about buying glass, though, as some stores (generally other than on Murano) are selling "Murano" glass made in China.

Zimmy's DH

A water taxi from the airport!? Loving Venice already!! 🚣

Yes and it is the best way to enter Venice. You will feel like you are in a movie! As has been mentioned, they are pricey. Last time the Airport run was 100 Euros but worth every one. BTW, the taxis ain't exactly cheapo either. As far as the Vaporetto, it is a good cheap water bus but we avoid it with baggage as it is a pain dragging bags on and off and they are usually crowded. Slow too as they make many stops. We use the Vaporetto to explore about after we have made the "Grand Entrance" in the Water Taxi. You can take the WT to the ship from most hotels as well. Wish we were with you as this is a great trip you are taking. :D

Zimmy ,Jim.

Thank you so much for the info!! So excited!! Will reserve the water taxi through whatever hotel we choose! Thought it was very cool that most hotels have their own boat entrances...like a side entrance or garage! Now that's traveling in style! Just like George Cloonys wedding party!! Haha!

Zimmy ,Jim.

Thank you so much for the info!! So excited!! Will reserve the water taxi through whatever hotel we choose! Thought it was very cool that most hotels have their own boat entrances...like a side entrance or garage! Now that's traveling in style! Just like George Cloonys wedding party!! Haha!

Or Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie in The Tourist.:D:D

Kathy, I agree with Zimmy's DH on the Hilton -- it was very nice (although very crowded the day we checked in as it was also a hotel for a couple of the larger cruise lines). Sea Dream was actually docked across from the hotel, but since you'll be coming into the airport, do take the water taxi. you will likely have to take a water taxi to SD when you embark (it was 40 euros to go about 100 feet!) As mentioned, they are NOT cheap, but it is a thrilling ride to the airport (or, in your case, from the airport). We used the hotel shuttle to St. Marks. Be forewarned that Venice can be an absolute zoo! We were there in early June and it was a madhouse. The Rialto bridge was wall-to-wall people as was St. Mark's Square and everything in between! And it was HOT! We did a trip on the vaporetto, which was a great way to see the city and stayed on side streets as much as possible. Had drinks at the Danieli, went up the tower, toured the basilica but ran out of time to do the Doge's Palace. Also had a drink at Harry's but were a bit underwhelmed with the place :-(

I think Venice backed off the wheeled luggage issue, but even so, the bridges all have steps rather than ramps, so it would be a pain trying to shlep luggage any distance. In fact, when we docked there our transportation arrangements got screwed up and we had to get someone to hail a water taxi so we could get to the hotel. The hotel water shuttle wouldn't come to us and we would have had to get over at least two bridges to get to the shuttle stop!

The rest of your cruise sounds wonderful. We loved Kotor (the cruise up the fjord is breath-taking). We enjoyed the trip to Mt. Etna and the walk around Taormina (we missed the Roman ampitheatre by only a couple of blocks, so keep walking!). Capri was lovely -- do the round the island tour which goes to Anacapri. And be at the TOY for the cruise past Stromboli!

We are pretty evenly divided between SD I and II -- about 20 more nights on I, but we love them both. The crews are wonderful no matter what! You will have a great time!

Vandrefalk

And it was HOT!

We loved Kotor (the cruise up the fjord is breath-taking).

the walk around Taormina

Capri was lovely

And be at the TOY for the cruise past Stromboli!

You will have a great time!

Kathy - what a lovely itinerary you choose! -GREAT!

In my opinion Kotor (and the waterway through the fjords) is the most amazing place in the Med. Get a taxi and drive on top of the hill to look down to the harbour - you'll never forget this moment!

Taormina is perfect for credit card meltinging - nice boutiques and shoe shops for the gals and a lot of wineries and gourmet food stores with local italian products for foodies.

Capri can be VERY, VERY crowded - get up early and take the FIRST tender if you like to see something.

Stromboli by night was the most amazing miracle of nature I've ever seen.

Captain Steinar darkened ALL the lights onboard SD II - it was an unbelievable moment for DW and me!

BUT - be aware that it will be VERY HOT in July (between 90 and 100 degrees F) during the day - you'll need lots of liquids (at TOYB?) ... ;)

Edited by gcmv

gcmv, Vandrefalk.

You are all making this trip sound so exciting!! How am I ever going to get through this deep freeze!? Haha! Very much looking forward to seeing and experiencing it all! Especially seeing Stromboli...and Venice! Only wish we were staying longer in Venice ! Can't do it all I suppose!? We have done a couple of these stops before with Seadream, the Amalfie coast!... Was wonderful! And our first time in Italy. The sights, the smell, the people talking with their hands! Was right out of the Godfather movie!! so, when we saw this itinerary, we decided to go back and also get to see some new sights and countries as well. Life is short! Time is limited! Enough with the dreaming! Time for the doing!

Kathy

Edited by kathyanddanny