Theme nights

Parsman

I am a very regular passenger on Fred. Olsen's ships. I am not a fan of so called theme nights and have noticed that fewer and fewer fellow passengers participate in them. The one exception is "Tropical" nights where quite a number of passengers literally let their hair down. Sadly, apart from the longer cruises they seem to have been dropped. I wonder why?

I wish they would drop "British Nights" which I consider embarrassingly awful especially when there is a significant number of non-British passengers on board. If they must have such an evening why not make it a "Red, white and blue" night? This would cover Brits, Americans, Dutch, French etc.

Am I in a minority of one?

I know of two people on the Facebook page who have expressed the same opinion so unless one of them is you that makes at least three of you.:)

I did speak to a few people on our last cruise who hated the whole idea and refused to take part but a lot of people love it so unless more and more refuse to participate they will probably keep them.

I agree completely. We can't bear British Night, mainly for the dreadful singalong; of which many of the songs are close to 100 years old and horribly jingoistic. We think if Fred wants to modernise itself it sets completely the wrong tone.

We always enjoyed tropical night, if only for the colourful clothes everyone wore and the holiday feeling it gave to the ship.

Do not like the British Night. Much better if red white and blue.

We loved the other nights tho. Tropical, Rock and Roll, Country and Western. Had simle outfits for each. Used them on P and O as well.

Still have the Cowboy Hat with a huge arrow thro it.😄

They did try "International Nights" but without a great deal of success.

I suspect that they would like to get rid of all of them but are finding it difficult to wean many existing passengers off them. Rather like the sailaways on P&O. To be fair they only last half an hour now and can be easily avoided.

I have to say I don't like the British Night, but we did enjoy the other Theme Nights. Rock and Roll, Tropical, Country and Western etc.

Nobody was forced to participate and I know many people did enjoy them.

Sorry Coravel, but what is ridiculous to you is possibly fun to other people. Everybody has their own likes and dislikes.

We enjoy the dancing but don't expect everybody else to enjoy it or join in.

We don't go to the lectures as they are not our thing but I wouldn't dream of saying they should be dropped.

Each to their own.

Edited by 1160451

Whilst it seems most of the posters on here don't like the British Nights, I have yet to see a cruise we have been on when it wasn't full on British Night.

If you were Fred you would say the nights are popular.

If you don't like the British Nights don't go to them, they only last 45 minutes at most.

As I say there are a few entertainment and activities we don't like so we don't go to them. Simple.

That is my recollection as well. Last theme night, other than British Night, I recall was a Rock and Roll Night on Balmoral up the Fjords around two years ago.

We had a Tropical Night in the Carribean in January though.

The Cowboy Hat with arrow through the head is still on hand tho 😄

PandO have theme nights as well.