On the Crown: 28 Days in the S. Pacific and it Wasn't Bora Boraing

SailorJack

After leaving the park we headed for downtown Papeete to sightsee and shop. The four or five blocks of the central business area was pretty much like any other city, but if you got to the outskirts of town you found beautiful tree line boulevards.

19887332335_e5051018bc_b.jpg

19879848672_3c306ee1dd_b.jpg

Even the parking areas were shaded.

19699285988_cbd58463dc_b.jpg

We came upon this building while walking, and in talking with the guard at the entrance (my French is a little rusty) we took it that this is the residence of the President of French Polynesia. Very impressive.

19348620953_8ca1ae83cb_b.jpg

We asked the guard if we could enter and take a couple of pictures. He permitted it as long as we stayed near the guardhouse.

19782902779_2bb7c37fe7_b.jpg

19346969334_386e08306f_b.jpg

19782899919_91f4b08fc5_b.jpg

Sailor Jack, you have made the last 8 months bearable with you review and pictures! Now all I have to do is last the next 86 days until we begin our fantastic adventure & cruise. My wife and I look forward to seeing what the next pictures will be. We also look forward to maybe someday meeting both Sailor Jill and you on a yet to be determined cruise!

Many thanks,

Just Mike (RetiredNTraveling)

Sailor Jack, you have made the last 8 months bearable with you review and pictures! Now all I have to do is last the next 86 days until we begin our fantastic adventure & cruise. My wife and I look forward to seeing what the next pictures will be. We also look forward to maybe someday meeting both Sailor Jill and you on a yet to be determined cruise!

Many thanks,

Just Mike (RetiredNTraveling)

Mike, I envy your upcoming trip. I hope you post a review of it. It will be fun to compare the two experiences.

Jack

Sailor Jack, you're the bomb!!! I really appreciate cruisers like you that take all the time to post and share. Can't wait to board that ship in October. We've got a super Cruise Director as well. We had him on a long previous trip and he filled the sea days with tons of fun stuff. Kelvin Joy.

Thanks again. Oh yeah, when the Wings play the Canucks and win, I'll think of you:p

Pam

SailorJack, did you book on the Golden in September going to Australia? I hope so, it would be great to meet you! Loved this review!

Did not book the Golden. We are looking at the Ocean for our next sailing for later this year, but have not booked anything yet.

Have a great trip to Australia - we have been there several times and enjoy it immensely. Perhaps we can meet on another sailing.:)

Jack

Of course it goes without saying that you should not have Jails in Paradise -instead you should have Hotels.:)

20056025685_c350ecfdd6_b.jpg

And should you want a Hamburger in Paradise you simply get in your car and go to McDrive.

19869358249_bca28b12e9_b.jpg

This is a monument dedicated to Pouvanaa a Oopa - a very famous Tahitian politician and nationalist who fought for independence and autonomy. The motto for his political party---"Tahiti for the Tahitians and Frenchmen into the sea!"

20061366401_867ce844cf_b.jpg

Sailor Jack, you're the bomb!!! I really appreciate cruisers like you that take all the time to post and share. Can't wait to board that ship in October. We've got a super Cruise Director as well. We had him on a long previous trip and he filled the sea days with tons of fun stuff. Kelvin Joy.

Thanks again. Oh yeah, when the Wings play the Canucks and win, I'll think of you:p

Pam

Gosh, Pam, I wish you would think of me more often than that! It could be ages before I come to mind.:)

October is just around the corner...I know you will have a great time.

Jack

Edited by SailorJack

We never did figure out what this memorial was as my French is no longer that good.

20142858925_a1d5eb66e7_b.jpg

As we headed back to the ship after our last day in Papeete, we noticed that a French naval vessel had pulled in close to us. This is the French tug supply ship, the Revi.

20148437051_7596af0600_b.jpg

Our last view of Papeete before we sailed for what turned out to be an unexpected port -Nuku Heva.

20142879095_1f98360227_b.jpg

On our cruise to the Polynesian islands Nuku Hiva was a stop and it was an amazing island. Small and with very small population. Walked to a hotel with an infinity pool overlooking the bay and our ship, the Tahitian Princess ( renamed now the Ocean Princess)

Stopped at an amazing church along the way.

Dixon

Edited by Matcodixon

On our cruise to the Polynesian islands Nuku Hiva was a stop and it was an amazing island. Small and with very small population. Walked to a hotel with an infinity pool overlooking the bay and our ship, the Tahitian Princess ( renamed now the Ocean Princess)

Stopped at an amazing church along the way.

Dixon

I didn't realize that Princess actually called at Nuku Hiva. We were not allowed to go ashore, but as we cruised along the coast line it was a very impressive island. Sounds like you had a very nice time there.

Jack

I didn't realize that Princess actually called at Nuku Hiva. We were not allowed to go ashore, but as we cruised along the coast line it was a very impressive island. Sounds like you had a very nice time there.

Jack

We sailed there in 2005 as part of a B2B (Marquesas then the Cook Islands) on the Tahitian (now Ocean) Princess.

IMG_0273.jpg.4e153d90865e8c1236962e10dff3b8b6.jpg

Edited by chamima

We sailed there in 2005 as part of a B2B (Marquesas then the Cook Islands) on the Tahitian (now Ocean) Princess.

That sounds like an itinerary that I would like to try! Too bad that the Ocean is being sold - it takes a smaller ship to visit some of those ports.

Sunset in the South Pacific as we leave Papeette. Sitting on your balcony with a nice cold beer enjoying the last warm rays of the evening sun...worth the cost of admission.:)

20069997550_a500bf5d83_b.jpg

20070021628_6a2c973969_b.jpg

20069994020_eb4de40d22_b.jpg

20231759766_7c22eba41b_b.jpg

Awesome-Glitter000.gif These latest pictures are what we book this upcoming cruise for! Once in a lifetime sunsets! Thanks for posting because now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it isn't a train, but a Fantastic South Seas Sunset!

Just Mike

Glad you liked the sunsets...then you may like the South Seas moonlights also. Here is a photo for you and Karen.:)

20260663186_4a19cb32da_b.jpg

Nice glass of wine, a little romantic music in the background, moonlight dancing across the water....even the nights are awesome here in Tahiti.

Glad you liked the sunsets...then you may like the South Seas moonlights also. Here is a photo for you and Karen.:)

20260663186_4a19cb32da_b.jpg

Nice glass of wine, a little romantic music in the background, moonlight dancing across the water....even the nights are awesome here in Tahiti.

OMG Jack!!!

I might just have to make that GORGEOUS picture the background on my computer.

I will also have to work on my husband harder to do this cruise!

I think Tahiti is my favorite place in the world.

THANK YOU!!!

:D

OMG Jack!!!

I might just have to make that GORGEOUS picture the background on my computer.

I will also have to work on my husband harder to do this cruise!

I think Tahiti is my favorite place in the world.

THANK YOU!!!

:D

I have to agree with you on Tahiti. It had been on my bucket list for years and can't wait to go back.

PS. Good luck on that working on the husband thing!:D

Our first views of our unscheduled stop at the island of Nuku Hiva. Initial impressions give little hints as to the dramatic shoreline we are to see as we sail around the island.

19723047553_f6ec89305d_b.jpg

20335499782_7cc1e0d394_b.jpg

20155951190_2a26926239_b.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to post review and photos.

It sounds like an awesome cruise and I'm happy to be going on the 2015 equivalent. I've kept tips and suggestions made by you here on my itinerary list.

Much appreciate the dedication to this thread. :)

I have to agree with you on Tahiti. It had been on my bucket list for years and can't wait to go back.

PS. Good luck on that working on the husband thing!:D

It won't be as hard as you might think.

It's also his favorite place in the world.

If this cruise were offered in February there would be no convincing needed - it's just the Fall and Spring times that don't work so well for us.

Thank you for taking the time to post review and photos.

It sounds like an awesome cruise and I'm happy to be going on the 2015 equivalent. I've kept tips and suggestions made by you here on my itinerary list.

Much appreciate the dedication to this thread. :)

Glad you are finding some value in the posts. As I go through the pictures it gives me an opportunity to relive a great cruise. I hope someone on your cruise posts a review - it would be interesting to compare the two experiences.

Bon Voyage!

Jack

Glad you are finding some value in the posts. As I go through the pictures it gives me an opportunity to relive a great cruise. I hope someone on your cruise posts a review - it would be interesting to compare the two experiences.

Bon Voyage!

Jack

I'll be doing a review but I very much doubt it will be as detailed and interesting as yours!

I also purchased a new underwater camera because of your wonderful shots. Thank you. Now I have three cameras and an Iphone to bring along! :eek:

If I can get half the lovely photos and enjoyment from our cruise as you have, I will be one happy camper. ;)