Possible diet requirements.

GirlyCruiser

We are due to sail on Ventura at the end of June but I have just been diagnosed with gallstones & may have to have my gallbladder removed. This could be done either before my cruise or after, I am determined not to miss my holiday! If its scheduled afterwards, I wondered if it would be advisable for me to contact P&O with a low fat dietary request? Or would I better off just being extra careful what I choose off the menus? Just wondered what anyone else on here would do? Thank you :)

We are due to sail on Ventura at the end of June but I have just been diagnosed with gallstones & may have to have my gallbladder removed. This could be done either before my cruise or after, I am determined not to miss my holiday! If its scheduled afterwards, I wondered if it would be advisable for me to contact P&O with a low fat dietary request? Or would I better off just being extra careful what I choose off the menus? Just wondered what anyone else on here would do? Thank you :)

Contact your consultant or GP , find out what sort of diet they think you would be best having..low fat etc.

When you have that info contact P and O and state you would like so and so diet. They are very good at coming up with suggestions , and providing the correct type of type, from what I have been told.

Thank you for the advice, I do have an appointment next week so I imagine they will tell me what diet to adapt to and also if I am definitely going to need a little op. At the mo I am already cutting back with my diet & also on pain killers twice daily which seems to keep me on track. Will def contact P&O knowing they can offer me low fat options should I need them. Only downside will be probably having to stick the non alcoholic cocktails & drinks on board, though I might try a sneaky glass of champagne at sail away :)

Hi GirlyCruiser,

This happened to my DH last October and he was admitted to hospital, but we were scheduled to go on the Ventura at xmas. When he told the consultant, he said DH could leave surgery until the new year, but I said no, as I didn't want to risk him being ill in the Caribbean. He had his surgery in November and what should have been day surgery turned into a 4 days stay on constant IV antibiotics. He made an excellent recovery and even went back to work a week before we went on the cruise.

So glad we didn't wait, as we've since discovered that his gallbladder was full of pus (sorry if anyone's squeamish) and he had far more stones than expected. If he'd not had his gallbladder removed before xmas it could have ruptured while we were away and I may not have him here with me now.

I'm not at all trying to worry or scare you at all and it doesn't mean that your condition is anywhere as bad as his was. Just make sure you have good insurance cover 'just in case'.

Sound like we're on the same cruise as you - Ventura at end of June. I'm sure we'll have a great cruise.

Sorry to hear your husband's was so serious, but glad he made a full recovery. I have had one or two people saying it can get serious like that. As soon as the doctor had finished my scan (I have a couple of large-ish stones) I did say to them about the cruise and all they said was to have a great time. They did say there is a possibility I could get the op done before we go or after we come back. Obviously before we go would be better, if I could pick a time I would say end of May or start of June then it would give me a few weeks to get better properly before we go. Hopefully I will know more after my next appointment and will soon make as good recovery as your husband did.

If you can, I'd get it done as soon as possible. That'll give you more time to recover before the cruise.

I hope that you get sorted soon and make an excellent fast recovery, then you can look forward to a lovely relaxing holiday. Don't forget that you shouldn't carry anything for a while after as even key hole is still major abdominal surgery.

If you see someone around the ship with a teddy bear backpack, that'll probably be me!

Best wishes.

Yes if there's a chance I can get it done I will, it's the first time I've ever had to have anything done, I've been really quite lucky with my health so all this hospital lark is all new to me! As there is six of us going there won't be a shortage of people to help carry things for me :) I will look out for a lady with a teddy bear backpack and if I see you I will say hello. It's getting closer now isn't it :) x

Hope all goes well for you girlycruiser. If you have it done before you go you will probably find your diet will be less restrictive than if you haven't.

I had mine out over 30 years ago and having been on a virtually fat free diet for 3 months, after the op but whilst still in hospital the first proper meal I was given was a large flaky pastry sausage roll and chips.......:eek:

I was told I could eat what I liked now the offending gall bladder was out!

Had these myself. Check with your insurer, many will not cover you if you are awaiting surgery even if scheduled for after your holiday.

I was on a fat free diet until the op, and had to carry very strong painkillers to take when I got bad pain. Not only knocked me out, but also controlled drugs, so make sure you carry all the necessary paperwork to avoid problems with customs etc.

I had attacks of pain if I accidentally ate something with fat in, and on some occasions, if I smelt or saw fatty food! Looked at the cake stall at my daughters school fair and had an attack! Very awkward, couldn't drive home and had to be collected by my husband.

Get it done first, not a condition to be taken lightly. Seem to remember recovery was a few weeks, and not too bad.

Good luck

Had these myself. Check with your insurer, many will not cover you if you are awaiting surgery even if scheduled for after your holiday.

Good luck

You are absolutely right about telling your insurer, but you should be able to get cover OK. There are thousands of people waking around with gallstones who have been told surgery won't be offered until they become a real problem. One of my friends has had them for over 20 years and as long as she is careful with her diet she copes well. She had no problem getting insurance cover, even for going to the USA.

I had to have my Gall Bladder out last year and whilst waiting for the op one evening the pain got so bad I was rushed by ambulance to our A&E and they kept me in overnight as my heart was showing irregular heart beat due to the severe pain .

A few doses of Morphine and once the pain dropped I was put on Tramadol 2 of four times a day and ready for going back home .

The surgeon who saw me said to ring his secretary and she would keep me in mind for any cancellations by other patients due day surgery .

A week later I went to have a pre op medical and was given a shower scrub to use the week before surgery , she told me I would be in the next 18 weeks.

I told her I was due a cruise close to 18 week and could she consider me for anyone cancelling their op ? She told me she would do her best .

On leaving that appointment I drove home and once inside the house ,the landline phone rang , it was the hospital and they asked me how I was fixed for 8am in five days time ? I said yes and the rest is history .:)

So if you can, contact your hospital surgeon office and ask to be put forward for any last minute operation slots that come available .

Good luck with the op and have a good Cruise .:)

Edited by kalos

Thanks for all the replies people, glad I asked on here now. I though maybe someone must have experience and would be able to help. At the moment I am fairly pain free, the odd grumble now and again as if it's reminding it's still there. I am being very careful with my diet, lost 5.5 lbs this week, and will see my doctor Thursday so hopefully I might have an idea of when I could have the surgery done by then. I am all for having it done before we go, if they said today I'd go! From reading your posts I'd better contact the insurer once I've seen the doctor if I know it won't be before the cruise. Thanks again for everyone's advice x

Hi again girlycruiser..you will probably need to contact your insurer whether or not you have the surgery I'm afraid...if you have the surgery before you go, and then unfortunately suffer any kind of post op problem you might not be covered if you haven't told them. And if you dont, you will probably need to tell them so that you are covered in the event of needing treatment whilst away. Its heads they win and tails you lose I'm afraid! :mad: But a lot will depend on the exact wording of your policy and when you took it out. Always best to be safe than sorry.

Hey Girlie!

Hope you are ok and have not had an attack recently. Have your op before you go on the cruise so that takes an attack out of the equation and you can use the cruise as R & R!! But.......you will need to leave at least 4 weeks after the op before going on the cruise, because even with keyhole surgery there can be slight complications.

Without being too graphic...you will have 4 incisions, and the one that causes the most problems is the one through the naval...it takes longer to heal and the one by the sternum can become painful as it connects with "corsetry".

I had my op 6 months ago and feel great, no more trips to A&E for morphine....(mind you, that's wierd stuff!! :D ) but do not undercalculate recovery times, you will have had surgery and a part of your insides removed (YEUUUW!!)

Go forth and eat chocolate!! x

Hey Girlie!

Hope you are ok and have not had an attack recently. Have your op before you go on the cruise so that takes an attack out of the equation and you can use the cruise as R & R!! But.......you will need to leave at least 4 weeks after the op before going on the cruise, because even with keyhole surgery there can be slight complications.

Without being too graphic...you will have 4 incisions, and the one that causes the most problems is the one through the naval...it takes longer to heal and the one by the sternum can become painful as it connects with "corsetry".

I had my op 6 months ago and feel great, no more trips to A&E for morphine....(mind you, that's wierd stuff!! :D ) but do not undercalculate recovery times, you will have had surgery and a part of your insides removed (YEUUUW!!)

I won't be that lucky to have a time frame like that! NHS website says I could go back to work after one or two weeks so i imagine I would be ok for a cruise. I appreciate that everyone is different with the healing process, I do have a few people going with us so no shortage of baggage handlers lol! At the moment I am doing quite well health wise, no pains, taking pain killers with breakfast and tea in the evening and am still able to work ok so I must be quite lucky. I have read about people fairing much worse than me as you seem to have done, I am really pleased to hear you have made a really good recovery, gives me confidence for my own. X

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Girlie!

Hi jasperado, just thought I'd let you and others know I have a consultation coming up on Wednesday so should have a surgery date by then. My doctor has told me it's highly unlikely I'll have it done before we go so I've rung p&o and requested a low fat diet (mainly for the evenings, I'll prob stick to salads etc during the day & will be my own fault if I scoff something I shouldn't!), the lady on the phone was excellent and assured me I'll be well looked after :) Have emailed the insurance company to check I'll be covered or how much it'll be to make sure I am covered, just waiting a response now. Was going to ring them but they only open 9 - 5 so I'm never home in time. I have decided that if I get offered date close to the cruise, eg 20th June, I will wait until after we come back but if it's early June then obviously I'll go for it. Only down side is a couple of excursions I'd looked at involved wine tasting, so will have to give those a miss and hopefully do those another time. Will prob the first cruise I do and actually don't gain weight!! Only about six weeks to go now! :D

Hi Girlie!

Glad you're OK and that things seem to be moving in the right direction. To be honest, I didn't worry too much about my diet defore the op and didn;t have an attack, but then they would just happen out of the blue, so I never deprived myself of anything "just in case I brought on an attack".

Go for it all with enthusiasm and have a super cruise. Where are you going and on what ship??

Regards Kathy x

It's a 14 night med cruise on Ventura sailing 28th June. Going to be a family holiday, me and my OH, mum and dad and sister and her boyfriend. Will be my sister and her boyfriends first cruise, can't wait to see their reactions when they first see the ship :D Think I've been more excited for them than I have myself! X