Silver Cloud '17: New Excursion Ship Look/Design

TLCOhio

From USA Today newspaper Nov. 22, they have this headline: "Most luxurious expedition ship ever? Silversea reveals plans for Cloud" with these "sneak preview" highlights: "Silversea is transforming the vessel into an ice-class expedition ship that'll spend a significant part of the year in Antarctica and the Arctic, and it'll have some of the swankiest suites of any vessel to sail the regions. Silver Cloud will feature luxurious, all-ocean-view suites that Silversea says will be the largest in expedition cruising. The vessel also will have the highest space-to-passenger and crew-to-passenger ratios in expedition cruising."

With this story, there are 51 pictures featured. Below are a couple of visual examples. Looking good and fancy? After doing four cruises on the Silver Cloud, we will miss certain of the "traditional" looks, but these new design seems that they will be very 21st Century!! It will be interesting to find out how much they do to upgrade/fix certain of the internal "systems" that have had some serious use and "wear and tear" over the two-decade+ history of this ship.

This story by their veteran cruise writer said: "The makeover of the Silver Cloud is scheduled to be completed in November 2017, just before an inaugural voyage to Antarctica. During its first season after the makeover, the ship will sail another 10 voyages to Antarctica as well as eight voyages to the Arctic. It'll also sail around the British Isles, Norwegian coast and in South America."

Full story at:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2016/11/22/silversea-silver-cloud-cruise/94274876/

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 205,857 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From the USA Today travel article, here are two of the pictures included. These two visuals both feature the design plan for a balcony suite on this ship. There are many other pictures showing details for the various levels of suites, etc.:

Nov2016TravelA%20022_zpsiedyus9p.jpg

Nov2016TravelA%20021_zpsx4tig2bt.jpg

Cabin size doesn't look any different to me.

My wife and I made a 2018 booking on the 'new' Silver Cloud Expedition, back in September. The USA Today photo's of the new refitted ship were on the Silversea website back then.

We noted that the cabins previously named Silver Suite are now Medallion Suite (the cat we booked) and new Silver Suites have been created by joining two Veranda Suites together (hence the Silver Suite has the rather odd configuration of two bathrooms !).

Apart from this most of the cabins appear to be the same size as previously. The Silversea website shows both configurations so the differences can be seen.

The Silversea website shows both configurations so the differences can be seen.
Thx Machotspur. I'll have to check the site out as we're interested in doing a pole cruise in 2018 with our teenage daughter. Having two bathrooms sounds delightful to this male.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will hopefully be looking forward to lunch on the new Silver Cloud Expedition ship at Tower Bridge on the 9 May 2018.

Yes even lunch visits take a lot of future planning! Also have the Silver Spirit to Look forward to on her unexpected visits in June and September 2018 to Greenwich.

I will hopefully be looking forward to lunch on the new Silver Cloud Expedition ship at Tower Bridge on the 9 May 2018.

We are on Silver Cloud on a Western Africa expedition itinerary just 10 days before your lunch ! We will ensure that the crew get the ship ready for you and that some provisions remain for your meal :)

We are on Silver Cloud on a Western Africa expedition itinerary just 10 days before your lunch ! We will ensure that the crew get the ship ready for you and that some provisions remain for your meal :)

Excellent... :)

Bad result tonight! They were lucky!

Bad result tonight! They were lucky!

As a long time season ticket holder at WHL I have found myself saying that many many times !

(Oops - way off topic and I suspect that those across the other side of the pond haven't a clue what this is about) ;)

(Oops - way off topic and I suspect that those across the other side of the pond haven't a clue what this is about) ;)

Yes, here in the "Colonies", we have no clue as to these details with that discussion. BUT, you probably would not get our interests in the Americas for college and pro versions for what we call football. Appreciate the added comments on the "new" Silver Cloud and its changing role for the future.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 161,682 views for this posting.

Yes, here in the "Colonies", we have no clue as to these details with that discussion. BUT, you probably would not get our interests in the Americas for college and pro versions for what we call football. Appreciate the added comments on the "new" Silver Cloud and its changing role for the future.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 161,682 views for this posting.

Ironically Terry, there will be a close link between the two at what Mac refers to as WHL.

Linky...

Edited by les37b

Ironically Terry, there will be a close link between the two at what Mac refers to as WHL.

Linky...

Appreciate this link to help me, maybe, just slightly, understand a little better. What is WHL? Western Hockey League in Canada? Not clear on that aspect.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 219,143 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Appreciate this link to help me, maybe, just slightly, understand a little better. What is WHL? Western Hockey League in Canada? Not clear on that aspect.

White Hart Lane. The world famous home of the Spurs.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/b]

Terry - some micro detail of the history of the club (I hope I’m permitted to continue off topic :).

Tottenham Hotspur – the Spurs – play at the White Hart Lane ground about 9 miles north of the centre of London.

They were founded in 1882 and in the early days played at an area adjacent to the current ground in Northumberland Park. The ownership of much of the land in Tottenham can be traced back to Henry Percy, 1st Earl of Northumberland, in the 14th Century.

The Earl had a son – Sir Henry ‘Hotspur’ Percy who led rebellions against Henry IV and was slain at the Battle of Shrewsbury in 1403. (He is a notable character in Shakespeare’s Henry IV Part 1).

The White Hart is associated with the Percy dynasty and a road near to the current ground is named White Hart Lane.

Hence – the name of the ground - White Hart Lane – and the Hotspur part of the team name - both originate from the Northumberland aristocracy.

Spurs supporters take pride in the fact that there are many teams incorporating United, City, Town, Rovers etc – but there is only one Hotspur !!.

Admittedly when I am travelling in the USA wearing a Spurs T Shirt, it is often assumed that I am from Texas, and a supporter of the San Antonio basketball team :)

Apologies to anyone offended by this diversion from the new design of Silver Cloud.

Apparently, the Silver Wind is out of it's dry dock as of November 8th, but I don't see any information regarding this refurbishment from a photo standpoint. Does anybody know a link to photos on the newly refurbished suites on the Wind? I wonder if they will look the same as the Cloud. Thanks in advance for reply. Sailing Silversea for first time in February. We usually like Regent, Oceania and Crystal. Interested to know if Silversea is as slick and luxurious as these other lines.

White Hart Lane. The world famous home of the Spurs

World Famous ?????

A couple of years back my wife and I were travelling around Bolivia and were being taken to the airport early one morning in the capital Santa Cruz, by a very articulate young chap. He proceeded - unprompted - to not only give us very detailed comments on the performance of Tottenham Hotspur and individual players in recent seasons, but he wanted to know the detail of where we sat at White Hart Lane.

Earlier this year we toured in Bhutan and visited a bar in Thimpu. The server, who was watching Premier League football on the TV, proudly announced - in perfect English - that his favourite team were Spurs, and that they played at White Hart Lane.

Bolivia & Bhutan is world famous enough for me ;)

A couple of years back my wife and I were travelling around Bolivia and were being taken to the airport early one morning in the capital Santa Cruz, by a very articulate young chap. He proceeded - unprompted - to not only give us very detailed comments on the performance of Tottenham Hotspur and individual players in recent seasons, but he wanted to know the detail of where we sat at White Hart Lane.

Earlier this year we toured in Bhutan and visited a bar in Thimpu. The server, who was watching Premier League football on the TV, proudly announced - in perfect English - that his favourite team were Spurs, and that they played at White Hart Lane.

Bolivia & Bhutan is world famous enough for me ;)

You could have said next season Wembley is our world famous home ground. I'm as sure he's heard of that ground too! :D

COYS

Edited by les37b