Looking for private tour/driver in Puerto Vallarta

Loriall

does anyone have recommendations for a private tour/driver in PV? It would be for my mom, aunt and uncle who are not very mobile. I'm looking for someone not too expensive that would be able to take them on a tour and maybe to a restaurant for lunch.

Unfortunately it seems I am not allowed to give names of private drivers.

At the dock you will see plenty of private drivers and official cabs offering their services.

The best are certified guides/drivers that speak good english, can show their ID and carry all insurances. Their vehicles will have a green licence plates.

Unfortunately it seems I am not allowed to give names of private drivers.

At the dock you will see plenty of private drivers and official cabs offering their services.

The best are certified guides/drivers that speak good english, can show their ID and carry all insurances. Their vehicles will have a green licence plates.

Only if you've used them ;).

Are these the guys standing in port dressed all in white?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Only if you've used them ;).

Are these the guys standing in port dressed all in white?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes indeed. All certified guides speak excellent english. You can tell them what you want to see or do, or of course what not to see or do. Have a great day.

You have to do what you are most comfortable with...

Our experiences,

We always hire a regular taxi driver for the day, or whatever amount of hours you want.

Say for example, you want to go to Golden Zone, spend an hour or so on the beach, then want to do some sightseeing, shopping then lunch. Afterwards, you return to ship.

We have found having a knowledgeable local taking us to recommended places, and being there waiting, whenever we were ready to move on, was useful.

SOMETIMES, the vans lined up on the pier want to fill the van and take all of you on a tour. this doesn't always work out to doing what YOU want to do.

Pricing...

Figure this way, you are willing to pay $75 for an all day driver. Multiply that by whatever exchange rate you got for Pesos, say 15.00 - 1.

That is what you negotiate down to, in this case 112 Pesos.

The starting rate will probably be $100 dollars, so just negotiate till you are happy with the price.

We have NEVER successfully negotiated a fair price from a white shirted vendor on the dock.

Guarantee you will be 100% happy with a cab available just outside the P.V. gates.

Again, do what you are comfortable with.

Allow yourself plenty of time to return to ship.

Neither the white shirts, nor the cabs are Ship excursions, so you are responsible for being on correct ships time and knowing difference in PV time and ships time.

Do not feel like a " cheap American tourist" for negotiating the price. These guys would much rather have a set amount of money coming in, then to have to return to port and get another $7 ride to Malecon.

And we ALWAYS tip extra if they did a fine job, after the tour.

These guys will talk and laugh with you. They answer any questions and give intimate knowledge of their city and culture.

Best of luck, and I hope this helped just a bit!!

May I point out that a cabdriver isnot a guide. Guides had and often still have to follow courses, their english is tested, their cars/vans are checked frequently etc. Donot expect a cabdriver speaks that well english and his information might not be as good or informative. Yes good for transportation from A to B. Also many of the yellow cabs donot have airco (or donot want to use it.)

By the way Golden zone isnot in Puerto Vallarta but in Mazatlan.

Mea Culpa regarding Golden Zone, please forgive.

Regarding English, just talk to the " Cabbie". If you get a feel that you understand well, then no problem.

Again, these are just my EXPERIENCE... they speak good english because their tips and income are benefitted from it.

I would venture to guess the cab drivers working the ports are much more fluent in English, than say a cab or bus driver you may encounter when in town looking for a ride back.

Not being argumentative, your advise is and always is well respected.

I am only suggesting, for a way to enjoy at less cost, using the cab drivers.

Ask if they have aur conditioning. If not, within seconds they will get you a cab that does.

Its sorta like the folks suggesting to save money by NOT booking tours through the ship.

This is just another cost saving tool.

It has to be ones comfort level. If saving money is not high on the priority list, then one has to do what they think is best.

I think it is important enough and avoid possible disappointments to point this out when hiring a cab for more then just for transportation. Then it is o.k.

I live in Vallarta each winter for some years. Although we now have a car, before that I often used cabs. Seldom the cabdrivers english was good enough for good information or conversations. Yes they know their wy around. As mentioned the guides are tested for their knowledge and english. Also the drivers at the port speak reasonable english.

It depends what you think is important.

• 3 weeks later...
Since you are a part Time resident of PV ,what is your opinion on safety for Americans taking independent tours

Absolutely no problem, just be sure you take a certified guide/driver. I drive around myself any place to shop, eat etc. not just in Puerto Vallarta but also outside and never had any problems.