The Baths at Virgin Gorda-Important Advice

TNCruzer56

The mods might feel that this belongs on the destination page, but I`d like to get as much info out on this Best Stop in The Wilde Caribe. Like all ports we had backpacks towels, mutiple cameras shoes, masks fins, snorkel, change of clothes etc.

To Maxify you experience here, May I suggest only taking

waterwallet/id & cash

lube up on ship

wear good pair of watershoes

decent camera in pouch or waterproof

THAT`s ALL!

I wish sombody told me this before.

We had way too much junk and missed out on GREAT lit`l spots.

This may be the best stop ever and take as lit`l as possible for MAX FUN-JMHO.

Be advised there are 2 drop off points for tourists visiting The Baths,sort of a lower access and an upper.

The Upper access in by far superior once you get to the beach,BUT it entails a LONG stair-path down to the beach area below. The path is NOT paved,but steps are wood and in decent condition. It takes a good 5-10 minutes or so to descend and a bit more to ascend. NOT for mobility impaired visitors so many tour operators use the lower access area.

Ive always used the upper access point. The beach and huge rock formations are amazing to see and explore. Theres also a small snack bar near the bottom of the stairway. If you order food there,its good, but dont be in a rush! Island time Mon. Soon come.

Yes for an excursion where you'll be spending time wading/swimming you will most likely get wet (:rolleyes:) and should pack accordingly.

The path down from the Top of the Baths is a natural path and somewhat rough in areas but not too difficult. But yes anyone unable to walk on uneven ground would not be able to use that. There are alternative excursions available that drop you right at the beach and would be ideal for someone with limited mobility.

Food is available at the Top of the Baths Restaurant as well as Mad Dogs, the small Poorman's Bar at the beach has drinks and maybe a few snacks but not alot so just don't want folks expecting to find an assortment of sandwiches when they get down there.

tncruizer I hope you just have a wry sense of humor and aren't serious about Nassau! :p I'm sure you are not...

This is excellent advice. I know first hand, we visited the Baths a couple years ago, and I was making my way thru the boulders (wearing water shoes), carring a camcorder in one hand and a digital camera in the other. Slipped on a small boulder camcorder hit the rock, the camera went in the water and destroyed both. Lost over a $1000.00 in equipment as well a pictures and film in an instant (dumb huh)!

This is excellent advice. I know first hand, we visited the Baths a couple years ago, and I was making my way thru the boulders (wearing water shoes), carring a camcorder in one hand and a digital camera in the other. Slipped on a small boulder camcorder hit the rock, the camera went in the water and destroyed both. Lost over a $1000.00 in equipment as well a pictures and film in an instant (dumb huh)!

Very sorry you had that happen, not dumbat all, just dumb luck! Most folks do take a small digital camera with video or even a camcorder as it's something you want to record. I'll be buying a waterproof/rugged camera next, at least that would survive that experience (maybe!)

We will be visiting the baths on our own on our upcoming freedom cruise. We usually each take a back pack with the below when we go on excursions:

- towels

- sun screen

- DSLR camera & lens

- Water proof and or point and shoot camera

- Water pouch with money, S&S cards, IDs, and 1 credit card

- Snacks & water for the day

- Ipods and or Ipad if we will be on the beach

- Hair brush & other misc. things we might need

We then usually put our clothes that we where as cover ups or t-shirt in the bag while we are doing the excursion.

Is it your suggesting that we dont take our DSLR, towels or backpacks and only take waterproof camera and money? We are in port from 8 - 5 so we where planning to make the 1st ferry, visit the baths, maybe mindshaft and if time hit a beach.

I am a bit self consious of myself in a bathsuit so I like to wear shorts or a coverup until I have to get in the water. My DH enjoys photography, but during the ruff terrain we would leave the DSLR in the backpack. Our bag and a compartment in the bottom of that the camera and lens go in to protect it.

Are there any lockers onsite to you store your more valuable stuff while walking through? I though I might have read that somewhere. We will leave the expensive camera on the ship if there is any risk.

Thanks for your help

Some folks take everything you listed and more. Take just the essentials listed here, and realize that everything has the potential to get wet since this isn't just a beach day. You're walking the paths and wading through the boulders.

- 1 towel (2 if necessary?) and 1 washcloth to cool down with when you have cold water.

- Hats

- sun screen, moisturizer

- Water proof and or point and shoot camera (no SLR)

- Water pouch with money, S&S cards, IDs, and 1 credit card

- water (1 or 2 small bottles, you can buy that wherever you are)

- Small round portable hair brush/mirror from $ store saves space

I carry a towel for my wife in a light nylon backpack that I expect will get wet, and everything else in a water-resistant bag that I try to keep out of the water. You can put a wrap/over-up and T-shirt in the bag too.

No lockers, what you bring you will be stuck with.

But it's really worth it! :)

We were there in January and had a grand time. The way down was not easy, but the way back up is much better. There is a path behind the building on the left of the parking lot which is much easier than the main way down. Its the way we came back afterwards and I would suggest it if you have any mobility concerns. You do loose the sense of actually getting there though.

We went down the main access path. Spent a while at the beach and walked through the boulders to the other beach. Be prepared to get wet, crawl on hands and knees at some points so the advice about packing light is right on. There are lockers at the main beach beside the path (in front of the washrooms) - $2 each I think but we didnt use them.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back....it was wonderful----If you dock at 7am----get that first ferry at 7:45---and u will be first one there before all the excursions---For 2 people it was 76 bucks (60 for ferry---16 transportation) round trip ferry including the transportation to Baths once u get off ferry---They picked us up at 12:15 and we had enough time to shop!!:D

Don't just jump in the water---there are sea urchins around and a boy had stepped on one----and no one there had twisters to get the things out--wear water shoes!! Also the caves do have steep steps---I told my son to get a picture of one set of steps---he turned around and an adult missed stepped from the top and slid all the way down---he had a bag of stuff and his camera dropped in the water---he said he was okay----but the lighter your baggage the better----The Caves part is definitely not for older people who have trouble getting around----Was beautiful there----we saw chickens, lizards and tons of hermit crabs!!! Very cool!!

We just got back....it was wonderful----If you dock at 7am----get that first ferry at 7:45---and u will be first one there before all the excursions---For 2 people it was 76 bucks (60 for ferry---16 transportation) round trip ferry including the transportation to Baths once u get off ferry---They picked us up at 12:15 and we had enough time to shop!!:D

Yes very easy day considering how great an experience this is, especially for the first time.

I wouldn't be too worried about the water as it is generally very safe, and it is best to have something on other than sandals if the path down is wet or slippery. Really very easy as long as you don't have major mobility problems.

• 1 month later...

You need a passport to fly or ferry into the BVI. For a cruise you need whatever documentation is required by the cruise line.

Note that if you were to encounter a problem and miss rhe ship and then need to fly to another port or back to the US you would have difficulties without a passport. A passport is just such a good idea whether cruising or flying.

The only charter I would recommend thatbI know goes to VG is Patouche.com. Excellent cat and Joe does take cruisers to VG if your time in port works with his schedule. E-mail him to see if that is an option.

We take the ferry when we're staying on Tortola, and you can often maximize your time on VG by taking 1 ferry over and another back (Smith's and Speedy's have different schedules), but you will pay $40 roundtrip rather than $30 for a roundtrip on one. Well worth it to me!

Some will recommend Dion, but I've seen bad reports and so can't recommend that.

There are other daysails like Aristocat and Kuralu that you may want to check as well, they go to Norman Island and the Indians for snorkeling.

There was one gent who hired a boat and captain out of a marina whose name escapes me right now. But search the threads and if I remember it I'll get back. He actually did both Jost Van Dyke and either the Baths or Norman and that's covering a lot of area.

The only charter I would recommend thatbI know goes to VG is Patouche.com. Excellent cat and Joe does take cruisers to VG if your time in port works with his schedule. E-mail him to see if that is an option.

We take the ferry when we're staying on Tortola, and you can often maximize your time on VG by taking 1 ferry over and another back (Smith's and Speedy's have different schedules), but you will pay $40 roundtrip rather than $30 for a roundtrip on one. Well worth it to me!

Some will recommend Dion, but I've seen bad reports and so can't recommend that.

There are other daysails like Aristocat and Kuralu that you may want to check as well, they go to Norman Island and the Indians for snorkeling.

There was one gent who hired a boat and captain out of a marina whose name escapes me right now. But search the threads and if I remember it I'll get back. He actually did both Jost Van Dyke and either the Baths or Norman and that's covering a lot of area.

Thanks very much! never thought about using both ferry's