The Baths at Virgin Gorda-Important Advice

TNCruzer56

• 2 weeks later...

Question....do you have to climb crawl etc to see these boulders and swim/ snorkel or is it just easier to go in by boat? the reason I ask is that I will be with my 72 yr old mother when we go to Tortola and while she is pretty mobile (can walk on her own), I don't want her to slip and fall.

Edited by dperki1

• 3 years later...
This is excellent advice. I know first hand, we visited the Baths a couple years ago, and I was making my way thru the boulders (wearing water shoes), carring a camcorder in one hand and a digital camera in the other. Slipped on a small boulder camcorder hit the rock, the camera went in the water and destroyed both. Lost over a $1000.00 in equipment as well a pictures and film in an instant (dumb huh)!

I was thinking about going on that excursion - sounds so beautiful but it would be a place I would want to take photos. I'm a photographer so using a point in shoot camera is going to be torture but it sounds like it would be less torture than to have the experience you had. I think it is time to find a camera I can bring and put in a water tight seal holder.

I think it is time to find a camera I can bring and put in a water tight seal holder.

That is the answer for any water-related activity. Even the manufacturers of the water-resistant tough cameras recommend a watertight case.

• 3 weeks later...

I just sent Patouche Charters an email. This will be our first visit to Tortola and I'm looking to get some info/pricing for a private charter. It says we will be in Tortola from 7-3. First time on NCL...does this mean we will need to be back on the boat by 2:30?

The only charter I would recommend thatbI know goes to VG is Patouche.com. Excellent cat and Joe does take cruisers to VG if your time in port works with his schedule. E-mail him to see if that is an option.

We take the ferry when we're staying on Tortola, and you can often maximize your time on VG by taking 1 ferry over and another back (Smith's and Speedy's have different schedules), but you will pay $40 roundtrip rather than $30 for a roundtrip on one. Well worth it to me!

Some will recommend Dion, but I've seen bad reports and so can't recommend that.

There are other daysails like Aristocat and Kuralu that you may want to check as well, they go to Norman Island and the Indians for snorkeling.

There was one gent who hired a boat and captain out of a marina whose name escapes me right now. But search the threads and if I remember it I'll get back. He actually did both Jost Van Dyke and either the Baths or Norman and that's covering a lot of area.

I just sent Patouche Charters an email. This will be our first visit to Tortola and I'm looking to get some info/pricing for a private charter. It says we will be in Tortola from 7-3. First time on NCL...does this mean we will need to be back on the boat by 2:30?

Are you looking to book directly with an independent operator where you will be sharing the boat with others? Or are you looking for a privare charter? The operators mentioned are independents who take groups out but you book directly with them. They probably also provide private charters when requested.

If you are looking for a private charter there are options like Mitch at Ocean Magic, much more expensive of course.

www.oceanmagicmitch.com

Yes you will need to be back on board by 2:30.

Can someone post a picture of what a good pair of water shoes looks like, so I have a clear idea what to look for? Sounds like I'll need them for a couple of excursions. I'm assuming they are different from basic waterproof sandals and offer better grip on slippery rocks?

Thanks.

Can someone post a picture of what a good pair of water shoes looks like, so I have a clear idea what to look for? Sounds like I'll need them for a couple of excursions. I'm assuming they are different from basic waterproof sandals and offer better grip on slippery rocks?

Thanks.

Yes, they typically have a flexible sole and are slip-ones, you'll see many varieties in this Amazon link.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Water+shoes

You can find them at discount stores for < $10 or you can pay more, ours were inexpensive and work fine.

Yes, they typically have a flexible sole and are slip-ones, you'll see many varieties in this Amazon link.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Water+shoes

You can find them at discount stores for < $10 or you can pay more, ours were inexpensive and work fine.

Perfect - thanks!

Are you looking to book directly with an independent operator where you will be sharing the boat with others? Or are you looking for a privare charter? The operators mentioned are independents who take groups out but you book directly with them. They probably also provide private charters when requested.

If you are looking for a private charter there are options like Mitch at Ocean Magic, much more expensive of course.

www.oceanmagicmitch.com

Yes you will need to be back on board by 2:30.

We are group of 37 so I'm thinking we could fill a boat if the majority of our group decided to go. Just looking for the best price/option for our group.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are group of 37 so I'm thinking we could fill a boat if the majority of our group decided to go. Just looking for the best price/option for our group.

WOW That will be a challenge...you may want to consider getting everyone involved so they can each choose excursions in smaller groups. Or maybe some with Aristocat, others with Kuralu maybe.

But contact the operators as 2 boats may be an option if you can book before anyone else on that date.

Good luck!

WOW That will be a challenge...you may want to consider getting everyone involved so they can each choose excursions in smaller groups. Or maybe some with Aristocat, others with Kuralu maybe.

But contact the operators as 2 boats may be an option if you can book before anyone else on that date.

Good luck!

Thanks! Received one quote back and seems pretty pricey. Just trying to get some good ideas for our group. I know not everyone will be doing the same thing :). Apparently since we are a group we may be able to get some discounts through NCL on their excursions. Anyone ever done the baths excursion through NCL?

Thanks.

http://www.ryka.com/en-US/Product/62170-5216172/Ryka/Black_Pink/Womens+Hydro+Sport+Water+Shoe.aspx

These are great, & what I wore to the Baths

shoes_ia62170.jpg?preset=details

Edited by HarpHarp

You do not want teva sandals or tie sneakers, water shoes are the best choice. They slip on and have a flexible sole. They breathe and dry better too as they're designed for this.

Edited by blue_water

ruthie to clarify, I have sandals like these and they're great for walking in most areas and getting wet. But for going up and down the paths and walking on rocks I would want something with a little more protection - toes covered and a good fit, that's all. Many wear sandals and sneaks and they are better than flip flops at least. Water shoes are a good choice to have on a cruise or land vacation like this...:)

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard that the ferry ride from the ship terminal to The Baths so rough that it is brutal. Is this true? Is there a way to get there by land? I'd love to go but am intimidated by the thought of everyone throwing up on the way over!!

I've heard that the ferry ride from the ship terminal to The Baths so rough that it is brutal. Is this true? Is there a way to get there by land? I'd love to go but am intimidated by the thought of everyone throwing up on the way over!!

We've never experienced anything like that...

• 2 months later...

Would a small water proof backpack that if submerged keeps everything dry be a good option for bringing on an excursion through the Baths? DS (21) is a photographer and I purchased a backpack like this for him for Christmas and will be doing this excursion with a friend in March when we are all doing a cruise on the NCL Escape. Here is the back pack I'm talking about.

http://www.patagonia.com/product/stormfront-waterproof-pack-30-liters/49154.html

I got a discounted price on this through REI. I saw other good waterproof backpack options too, many that were significantly less expensive, but liked this one the best for size, looks, and carrying comfort based on reviews. I can see this coming in handy for him for a lot of situations other than this excursion too.

This is a great thread. Good advice on the light packing. Last March we brought one back pack with two towels crammed in for a family of four and the bare essentials, everything travel size if needed.

I had waterproof GoPro and wife had iPhone in waterproof pouch. I also invested in one of those waterproof dive cases, just big enough to hold 4 passports, a credit card and some cash. If I remember right, the case was about $30 and gave me peace of mind. Could leave the backpack and towels on beach anywhere we went and dive case had a strap that cinched around my wrist so I didn't worry about it while swimming and snorkeling. Plus if it came off it is neon yellow and floats.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess you have to define brutal. It was rough. No pleasure cruise to quote Queen. But you are in an enclosed Ferry and not tossed out if your seat. Ha. Though I did see some people grabbing sick bags. No one ended up using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums