Taxi tours from Ensenada?

jasbo49

We've been to Ensenada several times and don't mind just getting off the ship and shopping and finding some cheap tacos and cervesas somewhere. But I'm thinking about something a little more ambitious for our October cruise.

Have any of you just gotten a cab to go to Rosarito Beach? It looks like it's just a little over an hour. I'm curious how much it would be to head up there, spend a couple hours with the usual lunch and shopping, then head back. Probably be about 5 hours.

Anyone ever done that? Or just taken a cab to the blowhole and asked the driver to show you around for a couple hours? Curious how much this kind of thing would cost. Got to be cheaper than the ship's excursions.

Jim

JMHO but driving all the way to Rosarito Beach to shop and eat the same things you would in Ensenada seems to me a waste of time. But getting a taxi and asking for a tour seems like a good idea. Our experience with our taxi driver in Ensenada last year was awesome. There were four of us and the taxi driver drove us from the port to a resort about 1/2 hour away from town that we wanted to go to. He gave us all kinds of information along the way about Ensenada and even offered to arrange a camel ride for us at a small circus we passed if we wanted to (we didn't at the time). He also offered to drop us off and then arranged it so that within 4 hours he would be back to pick us up and return us to the ship. At exactly the time we had set up...he was there waiting for us. He had yet more local information for us on the way back. I don't remember what we paid him but I think it was about $10 a piece plus we tipped him on the way up and back. He was just awesome very informative and really funny. He made the long ride fun.

Edited by mousey

JMHO but driving all the way to Rosarito Beach to shop and eat the same things you would in Ensenada seems to me a waste of time. But getting a taxi and asking for a tour seems like a good idea. Our experience with our taxi driver in Ensenada last year was awesome. There were four of us and the taxi driver drove us from the port to a resort about 1/2 hour away from town that we wanted to go to. He gave us all kinds of information along the way about Ensenada and even offered to arrange a camel ride for us at a small circus we passed if we wanted to (we didn't at the time). He also offered to drop us off and then arranged it so that within 4 hours he would be back to pick us up and return us to the ship. At exactly the time we had set up...he was there waiting for us. He had yet more local information for us on the way back. I don't remember what we paid him but I think it was about $10 a piece plus we tipped him on the way up and back. He was just awesome very informative and really funny. He made the long ride fun.

Thanks for the info. The attraction to Rosarito is just that it's a legitimate beach with restaurants on the sand, etc. I remember eating at the hotel there decades ago when I lived in So Cal and would take frequent trips to Ensenada. I'm not one to bad-mouth the city, but it has its limits (no beaches, for example) and I was just trying to think of something we hadn't done lately.

Sounds like you had a great experience with the cabbie. We might do the same thing, but head north. Maybe stop at San Miguel, where I used to surf, then go to Rosarita, spend a little time with beach, lunch, shopping and head back.

Jim

• 7 months later...
Our experience with our taxi driver in Ensenada last year was awesome. There were four of us and the taxi driver drove us from the port to a resort about 1/2 hour away from town that we wanted to go to. He gave us all kinds of information along the way about Ensenada and even offered to arrange a camel ride for us at a small circus we passed if we wanted to (we didn't at the time). He also offered to drop us off and then arranged it so that within 4 hours he would be back to pick us up and return us to the ship. At exactly the time we had set up...he was there waiting for us. He had yet more local information for us on the way back. I don't remember what we paid him but I think it was about $10 a piece plus we tipped him on the way up and back. He was just awesome very informative and really funny. He made the long ride fun.

Mousey, you mentioned 1/2 hour drive away from town. Was this down in the direction of Bufadora, or somewhere else?

We are thinking of going to the Agua Caliente/Punta Banda beach area which is on the way to Bufadora (about 15 mins short of Bufadora). Don't want to do Bufadora, but do want to do the beach because of the thermal beach activities there .... So not sure if the driver would take us there and then wait for us or need to come back for us. If the taxi does take us should we pay for each way separately?