Do Warnemunde taxis take credit cards?

nt13

We may take a taxi in Warnemunde. Do they generally take credit cards? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're pretty sure that the cab we took last fall took credit cards.

I'm back from my trip and the taxi we took did not take credit cards for anyone who wants to know. Thanks for those who replied!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Germany they have to accept credit cards, but reality may be different;

I think the only taxi in Germany that I could have paid by credit card was in Hamburg (and when we reached the train station his machine had magically broken on the way from the port to the station... thankfully we had enough cash between the two of us to pay him) and if I remember correctly there was a judge in Berlin who said that all Berlin taxis had to accept credit cards recently (2015? 2016?).

I would err on the side of caution and not expect a taxi to take credit cards in Germany, outside of major metropolitan areas maybe (I know that taxis in my hometown, the city we live in - 300.000 people, and my husbands' hometown don't, we were in the Rhein/Rhur area recently and neither in Duisburg nor in Oberhausen did the taxis take cards). What they will do for you is stop at a bank / ATM on the way for you to get cash, if you ask (they will charge you for waiting of course).

Same is actually true for (smaller) shops, bakeries (all bakeries in our city are cash only), busses (especially if you need to buy a ticket on the bus), snack bars (hamburger places that are not McD or BK, döner places) etc. Cafés might accept debit cards, even foreign ones, but not credit cards. Large® chain stores will usually accept different types of credit cards (Master, Visa, American Express... my work also accepts Diners Club cards though I have never seen one in ten years of working there). For traveling in Germany I would always suggest to have a bit of cash (20 to 50 Euros) in smaller bills (5/10/20 - especially for bakeries) just to be on the safe side.

For those of you who sign their credit cards "see ID"... be aware that some stores do not officially allow their staff to accept "unsigned" credit cards and "see ID" is considered unsigned. We will often accept them (after seeing ID, because we are nice) but depending on who you end up with, they might not.