Just booked

Bec84

Hi all

We've just booked on a Costa cruise in July to Norway. I'm just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the theme nights that we would be likely to have?

From my research I can also see that we would probably be best to get the drinks package? Is that what most people tend to do? Do Costa ever offer drinks package sales? (Mum has booked a cruise in September with another line and has received the drinks package half price on sale).

Any tips for essential (or definitely avoid) shore tours? Last cruise we went on we didn't book any tours, we just went it on our own (and loved it), but that was a Pacific Island cruise, which is a little different from Norwegian Fjords!

And any other suggestions? :) We've only cruised once before with P&O Australia 6 years ago, so it's been a while!

Thanks in advance!

The number of theme nights will depend on he length of your cruise The two theme nights that are nearly on every cruise are Italian Night with the colours of the Italian Flag red white and Green. Also White Night everything in white. Other theme nights that I have seen are Indian, Arabian and tropical - but these are very dependent on the cruising region. Over the years the number of participants for the theme nights has been declining.

I find the drinks package os worth it, as it covers not only alcoholic drinks, most passengers seem to buy it these days. Never seen Costa offer drinks packages sales (they offer discounted wine, soda and water packages - but this is all the time, never seen All Inclusive sale). They do offer cruises with All Inclusive package included in the price, you are still paying for it in the cruise price.

If there is a a particular shore excursion that you really want to do (must do), either find a private tour company now or book the excursion online with Costa. The really worth while excursions tend to get booked out early on. If you book an English excursion and there are not enough paticipants your excursion could be combined with another language group e.g. German. Nearly all Norwegians speak excellent English, so the excursion commentary would be in both languages. If the Costa tour is late arriving back the ship will wait, private tours you are on your own. Check your watch, mobil phone, tab time with the ship's time. Take the daily program with you, "Diario di bordo" it shows the name and contact details of Costa's port agent.

Enjoy your cruise.

PS. Never seen any Vegemite onboard.:D

As a non drinker, I cannot offer you any real insight into the drinks package.

DIY excursions or excursions through local operators are easy to do in Norway.

What ship are you on?

We were in Norway last year on the Costa Favolosa. The link below takes you to our review, it may give you some idea of what can be achieved in port without taking a ship's excursion.

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=266&t=10245

By industry norms, the cost of Costa's excursions while still significant tend to be cheaper than other cruiselines.

For what it is worth, many of the sights / sites of interest in Norway are near to the ports, are easy to do DIY - so much so our Norway cruise was the one that we spent least money on shore trips (all DIY using public transport apart from one by Fjordservice in Geiranger http://www.geirangerfjord.no/english ) and this is in what is supposedly the most expensive country in the world. As you don't need to stray far from the ship in the ports, it is easy to return to it for refreshments / sustenance thus saving further. Coffees with cake can be expensive! :( Well food full stop is - making Norway very affordable if done by cruise.

Edited by tomvet

I've gotten an AI package as an early-booking bonus from Costa France, never seen one on sale. It includes non-alcoholic e.g. cappuchino as well as alcohol.

If you booked with Costa USA you would have gotten the waterusa package, that might influence your decision, otherwise I'd go with at least a basic package, it will save hassle, you won't know if it was actually cheaper until you sit down after the cruise and calculate.

Everyone in the cabin must have the package, there's a non-alcohol for under-18, I got it once but they had to get special dispensation from the manager.

Edited by Dancer Bob

Thanks - we're living in the Netherlands now, so we booked through costacruises.nl

The ship is the NeoRomantica, cruise goes for 9 days/nights out of Amsterdam on July 29th.

Mum has had great luck with her cruise - every time she's seen a cheaper price or the drinks package being offered cheaper/for free she just contacts her travel agent who has arranged it for her - she's gotten a huge reduction on the fare and whatever drinks deal she managed.

I think we will get it, if our friend agrees. It's somewhat annoying that everyone in the cabin has to get the package, but I do understand as there would be a lot of people out there who would abuse it (that might be why they seem to be more expensive on other lines).

I think when I last cruised I spent about the value of this drinks package on drinks, maybe a little less, but I was aware of what I was spending, and we also took a carton of soft drink onto the boat and kept it in the fridge. I feel like it will just be easier to get it.

I'm pretty excited!