Where to Go in May???

Nauti-Lady

I am trying to plan a cruise for May. We've already done a few caribbean cruises so would like to go somewhere new. I think Alaska might still be a bit too cold and rainy in May?? Maybe Bermuda?? Maybe Mexican Riviera??? Any advice for this time of year will be appreciated.

Thanks

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=seagreen]Have you thought of Hawaii? That would be a wonderful cruise, but I am not sure if the ships are newer ones. The Bahamas are nice. I am unclear as to whether Bermuda would be warm enough. Being from New England, I know that it is the "cusp" time of Spring and Summer for us. [/color][/size][/font]

I went on my honeymoon to Bermuda during May,many moons ago.Found the weather to be perfect,not too hot and not too humid.It was around 84F during the day but cooled off just a little in the evenings.
Did stop off there again a couple of years ago on a HAL cruise around April/May and found the island just as delightful as ever.Just wished for more days there.......

Terri;)

Nauti-Lady: (great screen name btw!)--we cruised to Alaska in May 2003 and it was excellent. We only had one day of rain & I realize that it could rain any or all days, but having also sailed to Alaska in August, we would go again in May, handsdown.

The reasons you ask? Well, I will tell you:

1. Fares are amongst the lowest for Alaska for that season.

2. You will see a lot more snow on the mountains --that's good if you like that kind of thing - coming from the desert, we enjoy seeing snow . . . . at least on a mountain.

3. You will beat the rush! In 2 of 3 ports, ours was the only cruise ship there----no crowds like you will find in summertime.

4. Except for salmon, we saw all the great wildlife that we saw in August.

5. The merchants were really glad to see us-the bloom was still on the rose, so to speak.

6. The weather was cool, but not cold. Another plus for us desert dwellers.

Hope this helps in some way!

I wholeheartedly agree with Bill S.!!

I was on the Mercury May 5-17 of this year. Weather was extremely pleasant. I, too, read where May is one of the driest months in Alaska. Had only one day of rain (in Ketchikan). We actually wore shorts and t-shirts at Hubbard Glacier.... the sun was shining on Victoria Island and many cruisers were in the pool and getting a tan.

Visit Alaska (in May!) -- you will not regret it.

[b]I also agree about Alaska in May. Some of the cheapest prices are in May and Sept. We have been there in Sept. Beautiful with the fall colors, also in July. I think any month from May to Sept is great in Alaska.[/b]

[b]Marilyn[/b]

We, too, went to Alaska in May. It was beautiful the whole week - even in Ketchikan. It was cool, but that fit the spectacular snowy scenery. If I ever get to go back, I'll probably choose to go in May again.

May - Alaska!!! We were on the first cruise of the year, and it was lovely. We had no rain except on the first night, out of Vancouver, and after dark. Sunny the whole rest of the cruise. It was cool enough for a windbreaker and jeans, but the only time we needed anything warmer was in Glacier Bay. Then we needed hats, gloves and warm coats..............on deck. Brrrrrr......like being in a giant ice box. :)
Many repositioning cruises in May, too. Caribbean to Europe, to West Coast. Not sure if any ships do the Mex. Riviera in May...........most repositioning to Alaska. If there IS a ship to Mex. Riviera, weather would be nice for that, too. I think I'd like a repositioning cruise from Caribbean, through the Panama Canal, stopping in Acapulco, Ixtapa, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo, before arriving in San Diego or Los Angeles. Nice weather.....

We did a repositioning cruise from Acapulco to LA that left on April 30. (Acapulco, Mazatlan, Zihuatenejo,Puerto Vallarta, we missed Cabo due to engine problems) The weather was beautiful every day! Sunny and 80, no humidity. Spring break was over so there were no crowds.
The previous leg went through the Panama Canal, the people we met who were on that leg said the weather was beautiful but hot!

Thanks!

I think we will probably go with Alaska since so many of you enjoyed it in May. I was thinking it would still be way too cold for this southern girl, but then I guess it wouldn't really be Alaska without a chill in the air.
As mentioned rates are better in May than in August. Now I just have to select a ship. Thanks so much for all your great advice!!!

Happy Cruising,

Deb

Archived