Sunshine vs. Valor

Dpondex

Hi fellow CC members,

Am currently looking to plan a trip with a group of friends and friends of friends for Jan and/or Feb 2016. As of now we've narrowed the port down to Orlando as it is within driving distance from South Carolina. Ship options are the Sunshine vs. the Valor both are 7 days going to the same ports. Departure dates are within one week of each other. Which ship would you select? Personally, I really want to hangout in the sports square area on the Sunshine, I'm a big kid. LOL! We are all in our late 20's/ early 30's if that really matters. Sunshine is about $82 more for the entire cruise.

Will be booking by end of week to take advantage of the reduced deposit sale.

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Day 1 Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL 4:00 PM

Day 2 ... Fun Day At Sea --- ---

Day 3 Amber Cove, Dominican Republic 9:00 AM 4:00 PM

Day 4 St. Thomas, USVI 11:00 AM 7:00 PM

Day 5 San Juan, Puerto Rico 8:00 AM 4:00 PM

Day 6 Grand Turk 12:00 PM 6:00 PM

Day 7 ... Fun Day At Sea --- ---

Day 8 Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL 8:00 AM

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Dpondex

I have never been on the Sunshine, but we were on the Valor this past February. We really enjoyed the Valor but we did miss the upgrades.

I would personally pick the Sunshine.

We had the same decision and picked Sunshine for Jan 24 th. We sailed on her last October and loved it. We wanted to sail her again without the kids before they sent the ship to New York. Plus I love ships with the 2.0 upgrades.

We sailed both this year and have rebooked the Sunshine for 5/2016. No comparison IMHO; all ships have their busy times and areas- it's nothing a little pre-planning can't manage. We might reconsider after Valor comes out of dry dock, but right now she's bottom on our list.

We had the same decision and picked Sunshine for Jan 24 th. We sailed on her last October and loved it. We wanted to sail her again without the kids before they sent the ship to New York. Plus I love ships with the 2.0 upgrades.

If we book I will definitely let you know.

We have the Valor booked for Halloween this year. I looked at the Sunshine and quickly decided it wasn't for me. It is just too small of a ship with too many passengers. Definitely not worth paying the same, let alone extra. We haven't been on the Valor yet, but we have been on ships similar in size to both, and it was an easy choice

Just booked for the 24th on the Sunshine. It will be three of us in a room so we were able to grab one of the last Interior with Picture windows rooms that were left on the Lobby Deck.

We were in that same boat when trying to decide to book the Valor or the Sunshine. We picked the Sunshine for the 2.0 upgrades and loved it. You can read my review that I posted a few days ago.

Hi fellow CC members,

Am currently looking to plan a trip with a group of friends and friends of friends for Jan and/or Feb 2016. As of now we've narrowed the port down to Orlando as it is within driving distance from South Carolina. Ship options are the Sunshine vs. the Valor both are 7 days going to the same ports. Departure dates are within one week of each other. Which ship would you select? Personally, I really want to hangout in the sports square area on the Sunshine, I'm a big kid. LOL! We are all in our late 20's/ early 30's if that really matters. Sunshine is about $82 more for the entire cruise.

Will be booking by end of week to take advantage of the reduced deposit sale.

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Day 1 Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL 4:00 PM

Day 2 ... Fun Day At Sea --- ---

Day 3 Amber Cove, Dominican Republic 9:00 AM 4:00 PM

Day 4 St. Thomas, USVI 11:00 AM 7:00 PM

Day 5 San Juan, Puerto Rico 8:00 AM 4:00 PM

Day 6 Grand Turk 12:00 PM 6:00 PM

Day 7 ... Fun Day At Sea --- ---

Day 8 Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL 8:00 AM

Thanks in advance!

We have been on the Sunshine and never again.

The balcony room seamed smaller and the show areas had chairs they had to move in and out to make room for the next program. They added more rooms to get more people on board but couldn't enlarge the Rec areas to accommodate the extra cruisers.

I had the same choice booking my last cruise, but i have to have the 2.0 upgrades. A cruise without Guys Burger joint would make my family very sad :( My husband and boys will probably eat there every day!!!!

Can someone tell us what the 2.0 upgrades consist of besides the Guys Burger? Thanks for info.

We too, have sailed both ships, and without hesitation select the "VALOR" over "Sunshine". HATE the show room area on Sunshine, and the Non-Serene "Serenity" area, as well as all the extra people aboard. Not worth putting up with all the negative aspects of Sunshine, in order to get a greasy Guys Burger. ;)

"SKY"

Blue Iguana Tequila Bar

Red Frog Rum Bar

Blue Iguana Cantina

Alchemy Bar

Cucina del Capitano

Red Frog Pub

Sports Square and the Ropes Course

Shake Spot (on Sunshine)

JiJi's Asian (on Sunshine)

Havana Bar (on Sunshine)

Those are just a few I can come up off the top of my head. Somebody else will chime in with all I missed!

I have sailed on both ships and I think I would pick the Sunshine. The 2.0 upgrades added a lot more variety to the Sunshine, and I loved how pretty and new everything was (the Valor felt old and dated, and way too gaudy for my taste). If you go with the Sunshine, make sure to try some breakfast burritos from Blue Iguana- I really missed those on the Valor haha

We did Sunshine in May of this year. Everything was great. We have cruised every class ship Carnival has and I think Sunshine is equal to any Conquest type ship. I prefer Conquest class ships.

Jim

Just booked for the 24th on the Sunshine. It will be three of us in a room so we were able to grab one of the last Interior with Picture windows rooms that were left on the Lobby Deck.

You will love your cabin and the ship!

• 1 month later...
Blue Iguana Tequila Bar

Red Frog Rum Bar

Blue Iguana Cantina

Alchemy Bar

Cucina del Capitano

Red Frog Pub

Sports Square and the Ropes Course

Shake Spot (on Sunshine)

JiJi's Asian (on Sunshine)

Havana Bar (on Sunshine)

Those are just a few I can come up off the top of my head. Somebody else will chime in with all I missed!

I have sailed on both Sunshine and Valor. I prefer Sunshine.

Valor is good. Sunshine is better.

At first, I was terrified about going on Sunshine after reading all the negative reviews.

In the end, we loved Sunshine for the Sports Square with the Skycourse ropes course, Waterworks and waterslide racers, 3 storey high adults-only Serenity and 2.0 upgrades like Guys Burger Joint and Blue Iguana Cantina.