Diabetic advice

Jo and Rob

Thank you for all the advice. Rob is type 2, so takes tablets, and the major change he has made is not drinking orange juice any more (he used to drink it by the bucket!) and Canderel instead of sugar and has no sugar drinks. He no longer orders desserts opting for cheese instead but did enjoy the diabetic desserts prepared for him on P&O and diabetic cakes at afternoon tea.

Interesting comments about alcohol as his nutritionist didn't mention it (which I was surprised about too). We are not big drinkers but do enjoy a glass of wine most days.

Great news about the International Cafe having diabetic options. We love it as a venue and I'm really chuffed that he will still be able to enjoy some delights.

Thank you for all the advice. Rob is type 2, so takes tablets, and the major change he has made is not drinking orange juice any more (he used to drink it by the bucket!) and Canderel instead of sugar and has no sugar drinks. He no longer orders desserts opting for cheese instead but did enjoy the diabetic desserts prepared for him on P&O and diabetic cakes at afternoon tea.

Interesting comments about alcohol as his nutritionist didn't mention it (which I was surprised about too). We are not big drinkers but do enjoy a glass of wine most days.

Great news about the International Cafe having diabetic options. We love it as a venue and I'm really chuffed that he will still be able to enjoy some delights.

Oh he definately won't have to do without just because of his diabetes. Go and have a good time.

Edited by Treven

At the soft serve ice cream station, you can request scoops of sugar free ice cream in a dish. The dining rooms also have at least one flavor (normally chocolate or vanilla) of ice cream available at lunch and dinner.

At breakfast, besides the sugar free syrup, you can also ask for sugar free jelly. Instead of small packets, they will bring out a jar of jelly and serve you some from that.

In the rooms, you can also order fresh fruit to be restocked each day. We've always found it good to have some around in case we experience a low blood sugar.

You mentioned cheese - you can order a small cheese plate each night at dinner for dessert.

And if you enjoy flavored coffee, we bring a small container of sugar free flavoring with us on board to add to our coffees we buy at the coffee shop.

As other people have said, have a good time on your cruise. Just eat in moderation and try to get plenty of exercise (definitely helps to work/walk off the meals).

My DH had a big sweet tooth, until he got Type 2, 10+ years ago, he still eats something sweet every day, but watches how much and does very well at home and away. If you eat like you do at home, no problem. lots of options on a cruise ship. Easy to do.

Having been a type 2 diabetic for 19 years, I too had to give up my favorite orange juice and other type of fruit juices as well as cutting way down on high carb items like pasta, bread, rice, waffles, pancakes, .... but Princess has a pretty decent menu in their MDR that offers a fair selection of entrees that are low on carb. Yes, they do have sugar free dessert but they are nothing to write home about so I end up having just half of their regular dessert most evenings. However I do indulge myself with a glass of red wine daily at dinner and never pass up their outstanding special 50th anniversary Norman Love chocolate journey dessert which is only offered a few times on each cruise this year. As long as you eat in moderation, you'll be fine. After all this is a vacation.

Yes OJ is the worst if u are diabetic, people that r in a hospital and have low blood sugar the first thing they do is give you OJ. Enjoy your cruise.